3 weeks still bubbling. Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale with WLP550 3 weeks ago today. There's still a noticeable amount of small bubbles that seem to be coming from the cake. I've heard this yeast can take a while to chew through the last few points. SG a few days ago was 1.016 and est FG is 1.012. Anybody have this experience? My worry is that fermentation is stalling and wondering when I should start worrying about autolysis.

I brewed a pumpkin ale with WLP550 3 weeks ago today. There's still a noticeable amount of small bubbles that seem to be coming from the cake. I've heard this yeast can take a while to chew through the last few points. SG a few days ago was 1.016 and est FG is 1.012. Anybody have this experience? My worry is that fermentation is stalling and wondering when I should start worrying about autolysis.

If it's still 1.016, it's done.

Airlocks bubble due to things like fermentation, but also due to things like temperature changes or barometric pressure changes.

If it's been three weeks, it would be pretty surprising that it's not done. A hydrometer reading is the only way to know.

And there's no need to worry about autolysis. It'd have to be on the yeast for months and months to cause a problem.

Airlocks bubble due to things like fermentation, but also due to things like temperature changes or barometric pressure changes.

There's actually little bubbles in the beer itself. The airlocks not moving. I'm wondering if it would be safe to cold crash and bottle

Back