3 vessel system design help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethlovex

Reaction score
I recently aquired 2 keggles to go with my 60qt brew pot. i cut the tops off the keggles but have not yet drilled any holes. The pot is fitted with a brewmometer and ball valve. My questions are
How should I configure the system
I want to fab a single tier stand using unistrut and add a pump
I have NGat my house so I looking for pros and cons of using propane vs NG as well as burner selection
Any threads that address these concerns would be appreciated

what is your end goal? RIMS, HERMS, Batch sparging?

really a single tier stand needs two pump unless you plan to gravity feed into your boil kettle.

NG > Propane never running out of gas is a plus and its cheaper too.
I use a burner from AgiDrain its the small 6" cast burner made for low pressure propane. I drilled out the oriface larger and use it on my NG setup at home. http://www.agrisupply.com/low-pressure-burner-cast-iron-70000-btus/p/40282/

-=Jason=-

Flomaster said:
what is your end goal? RIMS, HERMS, Batch sparging?

really a single tier stand needs two pump unless you plan to gravity feed into your boil kettle.

NG > Propane never running out of gas is a plus and its cheaper too.
I use a burner from AgiDrain its the small 6" cast burner made for low pressure propane. I drilled out the oriface larger and use it on my NG setup at home. http://www.agrisupply.com/low-pressure-burner-cast-iron-70000-btus/p/40282/

-=Jason=-

I'm thinking RIMS on the mash keggle and fire the HLT and BK.

If you're going with a single tier, I recommend two pumps. If doing two or three tier systems, one pump is adequate (as you can drain one or another vessel via gravity).

I'm thinking RIMS on the mash keggle and fire the HLT and BK.

that is my setup right now less the stand. I need to build one.

RIms tube, NG Burner for HLT and BK I only have one burner at the moment.

-=Jason=-

Flomaster have you seen giftys weldless strut build thread? You can build brutus clone for around 80$ in strut + additional fittings. I am probably going this route when I finally choose my vessel config. Now I'm actually considering an electrified herms HLT....the main reason being I priced a Rims system and it ended being 200$ + the PID. If I go HERMs I can utilize my existing 3/8 copper immersion chiller. I just need some advice for the fittings to penetrate the keggle. Do I need a bulkhead or is there another way?

I have seen the weldless strut build, but I have a welder at the house I can use so i'll go that route when I get time to work on it.

-=Jason=-

This is what I will be building when I get home. Maybe you could steal some ideas. The goal is to use a single pump and still be able to do constant recirculation, and store all my equipment while not in use.

Collapse Brew stand.jpg

Screen shot 2013-08-31 at 1.27.17 PM.png

nice cad Dog.i have never seen it configured with the high vessel in the middle. Is that an HLT? Looks like 3 burners so I assume you are direct firing the mash. I was trying to avoid this but may have to do it at least for a while. So does the upper tier just nest into the lower angle iron? It's probably pretty solid without any additional fastening; I actually may steal this for my strut stand design. I could use a post foot fitting and just slide the upper tier assembly over it. thnaks!

I got my 815 March pump (not the stainless) so I will be playing around with that on my next brew. I was wondering if the only reason to use a keggle mash tun is to perform step mashes and aesthetics. Im wondering if I would be better mashing in a cooler if all I plan on doing is single infusion mashes. Also now im leaning towards a 2 tier design with the BK down low. Will the March pump still be able to move wort to the fermenter or do i need more height to gravity feed.

I got my 815 March pump (not the stainless) so I will be playing around with that on my next brew. I was wondering if the only reason to use a keggle mash tun is to perform step mashes and aesthetics. Im wondering if I would be better mashing in a cooler if all I plan on doing is single infusion mashes. Also now im leaning towards a 2 tier design with the BK down low. Will the March pump still be able to move wort to the fermenter or do i need more height to gravity feed.

1.polished keggles make the panties drop
2. keggles are great for RIMS or HERMS
3. Keggles don't retain heat as well as coolers do
4. my cooler only dropped 2 degrees during a 90 minute mash
5. keggles can be wrapped with insulation to help with heat retention
6. step mashing doesn't care what type of vessel its in
7. ??????????
8. Profit.

For the record I just upgraded from my Cooler to a polish keggle and RIMS Tube.
-=Jason=-

Back