3 plus years it took me !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiepc

Reaction score
After over 3 years of brewing I have finally brewed a pale Ale that I feel is good enough to share with some friends. 7 gallons of Pale Ale that is clear, clean, and tastes like what I have been after and I can reproduce it. 6.4 abv, a little strong but mighty good.:)

I think when I started brewing I went too far with additions of this and that, now I went very simple and came out with what I wanted. I used to be impatient but have learned to take the time to let things happen, it has paid off. :mug: :mug: :ban:

Congrats! Sometimes taking a step back and simplifying things can turn out to be a much better option.

My first few batches were awful cuz I wanted to add more hops or grains or what have you than the kits called for. Either way, good job! :mug::ban:

Been brewing beer a solid 2 weeks. After my first batch stopped bubbling I put it in soda bottles. I'll decant and prime In a week or so.

After over 3 years of brewing I have finally brewed a pale Ale that I feel is good enough to share with some friends. 7 gallons of Pale Ale that is clear, clean, and tastes like what I have been after and I can reproduce it. 6.4 abv, a little strong but mighty good.:)

I think when I started brewing I went too far with additions of this and that, now I went very simple and came out with what I wanted. I used to be impatient but have learned to take the time to let things happen, it has paid off. :mug: :mug: :ban:
still learning patience, don't think Ill get to the "leave it alone" state of mind.

still learning patience, don't think Ill get to the "leave it alone" state of mind.

Buy more fermenters. It's easier to be patient with a batch if you are busy making the next 2 or 3. Each weekend (you do brew on a weekend, don't you?) will have you either brewing or bottling or drinking.
I have 5 fermenter buckets and can easily let one batch set for a month before bottling.

Buy more fermenters. It's easier to be patient with a batch if you are busy making the next 2 or 3. Each weekend (you do brew on a weekend, don't you?) will have you either brewing or bottling or drinking.
I have 5 fermenter buckets and can easily let one batch set for a month before bottling.

Very good advice. I've mentioned my renowned lack of patience in other threads, but it's really a cross to bear for some of us.

I just bought my second and third fermenters to keep me from babysitting my existing brews and "accidentally" popping open any before they're ready.

Oh, one other thing. I sure hope you took good notes and can replicate your awesome brew. Finally getting that perfect (for you) brew is one thing. Making more of it is something else entirely. I have yet to get the "perfect" brew, but when I finally do, I'm making damn sure I can make it again!

Good luck!! :D

Congrats,
I hope that you are just particular and only wanted to share a great beer.
Simple is often far better than complex, especially when just adding stuff without knowing the effects. Patience is necessary, if you mess with the beer too much you are more likely to do harm than good.

I have been brewing for 5 1/2 years and I still wonder at these "it took me 3 years to make a good beer" threads. I would have given up. I can't figure out how someone can go so long without finding out the cause of a problem.

My first beer got fermented on the first night a little warm. This got me to researching and I learned a lot. My second one that I brewed 2 weeks later, NB's Patersbier extract kit, is still in the top 10 beers I have made.

I share almost any beer I make, some are good and some are great. My worst get no comments, the great ones get raves and requests for more.

Keep at it. Take that good recipe and use it for the "base". Make a change at a time and you will have different beers without "starting from scratch" Use a different yeast. Highlight a different hop. Add a specialty malt for darker beer.

My early experiments in designing my own recipes was to take a proven recipe and change one ingredient by either substitution or an addition. Nothing drastic, so none were disasters.

Don't get me wrong, all my beers I have brewed have been at least OK, some pretty good, some real good. I am my own worst critic as I would not share till I was satisfied that I had brewed a beer I could not find fault with and this one was it.
I document everything I brew so I can duplicate it if I so desire.
I have temperature control which I consider is one of the most important aspects of brewing.
I enjoy brewing. :)

Latest posts

Back