3 meads 3 outcomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett312

Reaction score
started 09/19/2017 used lavin fc 1118 on all 3 meads

1.5 kg wild flower 4 L
6 days later added cinnamon sticks, way to many, 4.
on october 25 i pulled off the leese and left in carboy. used potassium sorbet to kill off yeast. (my memory's foggy i'm sure thats what it was) 3 days prior.
very bitter and terrible after taste. *help*

09.19.2017 1.5 kg clover honey 4L repitched lavin fc 1118 october 06 2017 due to slow fermentation rate.

oct 25 added 1 1/2 cups of sliced strawberry's (Froze and crushed slightly and then dethawed) as well as 5 kiwi #4020
today nov 12 taste very strong, like vodka. no or very little taste of kiwi/stawberry. *help how do i improve taste*

i also have, which i think is a success, it's very mild and sweet. beautiful drink.

1 kg orange blossom 4L 09/19/2017
oct 24 added 1 1/2 cups frozen dark sweet pitted cherries dethawed and ripped in half. after pulling from the leese.
today nov 12. amazing.

I don't have much for readings on a hydrometer; i've made a lot of mistakes on this first attempt. next time i might follow a recipe

Check out the Basic Brewing Podcast. They did a show titled "Mead Best practices" where yeast pitching rates, nutrient additions and many other topics were discussed.
Many pro mead makers make a base mead and then add fruit in secondary. The idea is that the fruit contains acids witch affects fermenting and can produce some off flavors.
Full strength Meads (10-14% ABV) take some extra care including long aging times and/or special processes. Beer strength Meads can be turned around in less time.
The Mead House is another good podcast to check out.

1.5 kg wild flower 4 L
6 days later added cinnamon sticks, way to many, 4.
on october 25 i pulled off the leese and left in carboy. used potassium sorbet to kill off yeast. (my memory's foggy i'm sure thats what it was) 3 days prior.
very bitter and terrible after taste. *help*

This one could be trouble, I would add 2 vanilla beans sliced open length wise and 10 to 20 grams Medium toast Oak chips for 5 - 7 days. My experience is that this may help with the bitter from the cinnamon. Cinnamon does tend to age out but 4 sticks in 4 Litres is a lot and is very likely the reason for the Bitter taste. Give it a year and see how it ages. If better then give it another, if no-good after a year or not significantly better blend it off with another mead, drink it or dump it out and chalk it up to experience.

09.19.2017 1.5 kg clover honey 4L repitched lavin fc 1118 october 06 2017 due to slow fermentation rate.

oct 25 added 1 1/2 cups of sliced strawberry's (Froze and crushed slightly and then dethawed) as well as 5 kiwi #4020
today nov 12 taste very strong, like vodka. no or very little taste of kiwi/stawberry. *help how do i improve taste*

Not enough fruit, I use near a Kg (1.5 to 2 lbs) per 4 Litre (Gallon). It wont hurt to do another addition of fruit. Consider only keeping it in the Mead for no more than 14 days. I find that pretty much all the flavor is extracted and with Strawberries no need to crush as the small seeds release some off flavors if broken or in the Mead too long. Let this one age a bit as well. The Vodka like flavor will likely mellow.

Back