3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting in all grain, but only doing 3 gallons due to boil ability limitations.

I have 3 gallon carboys, but I'd like to use a 5 gallon to not lose so much to blowoff, and maybe even bump it up to more like 3.25 gallons just to get a bit more in the end.

I've read that the CO2 blanket should keep it safe. I do long primaries (3-5 weeks). Anyone think it will be an issue having only 3 gallons in a 5?

Thanks!

Kosch

I'm going to be starting in all grain, but only doing 3 gallons due to boil ability limitations.

I have 3 gallon carboys, but I'd like to use a 5 gallon to not lose so much to blowoff, and maybe even bump it up to more like 3.25 gallons just to get a bit more in the end.

I've read that the CO2 blanket should keep it safe. I do long primaries (3-5 weeks). Anyone think it will be an issue having only 3 gallons in a 5?

Thanks!

Kosch

I think it's ok, as long as you're just doing primary and not racking to a 5 gallon vessel. I would probably feel safe with a 3-4 week primary, without any worries at all.

Wow, I gotta learn to not walk away, thanks for the quick responses Yooper and TDIBrewer! :) I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue, so sounds like I'm good to go.

Now let's hope that my first all grain goes well!

Cheers!

Kosch

Back