3 gallon cornies at AHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I just noticed that Austin Home Brew Supply has a bunch of used (but in very good condition) 3 gallon corny kegs. They are selling them for $79.95 while they last. They also have 2.5 gallon ones as well.

For what it's worth, Williams sells brand new 2.5 gallon Italian made kegs for $86.90. I bought two of them - excellent quality. I would rather pay $7 more for brand new.

Bigfoot99 said:
For what it's worth, Williams sells brand new 2.5 gallon Italian made kegs for $86.90. I bought two of them - excellent quality. I would rather pay $7 more for brand new.

I agree. I bought two of those too. The 3 gallon ones are pretty unique. I got mine new at Williams 8 years ago. I wish they still sold them.

Hey Ed, I didn't see them on their site. Do you have a link? Maybe they are gone already?

EdWort said:
I agree. I bought two of those too. The 3 gallon ones are pretty unique. I got mine new at Williams 8 years ago. I wish they still sold them.

I have two of the older 3 gallon kegs that I picked up years ago; but I really like the 2.5 gallon kegs better. Regardless, I like having the small ones around for camping...

Bigfoot99 said:

How come I never saw those??? No more searching for 3 gallon ones, when I get some extra scratch, I'm buying on or two of those! Thanks!

I thought at one time someone said the Sanyo 4912 homemade kegerators could fit 3 kegs if one of them was a "little guy" - If I could verify this I'd probably scoop one up now - just bought the fridge and need to know before I order the stuff to build the tower...

johnsma22 said:
Hey Ed, I didn't see them on their site. Do you have a link? Maybe they are gone already?

I saw them at the store. Give them a call. They probably won't advertise it.

They had about 8 three gallon and ten 2.5 gallon cornies.

johnsma22 said:
Hey Ed, did you mean Midwest Homebrew and not Austin? I found the used 3 gallon kegs there.

Nope, Austin Home Brew Supply. I was there yesterday picking up a bunch of Montrachet Wine Yeast at 79 cents a packet. They had a load on the shelf in the front of the store.

Bigfoot99 said:
I have two of the older 3 gallon kegs that I picked up years ago; but I really like the 2.5 gallon kegs better. Regardless, I like having the small ones around for camping...

Yeah, but the 3 gallon fits great in an Igloo Extreme Roller.

Beer2Go-3.jpg

Beer2Go-1.jpg

EdWort said:
Nope, Austin Home Brew Supply. I was there yesterday picking up a bunch of Montrachet Wine Yeast at 79 cents a packet. They had a load on the shelf in the front of the store.

Oh, I didn't realize it was your LHBS, and you were there. They may just be making them available to local customers, or perhaps if you asked over the phone. They just don't have them listed on their website.

Hey, any chance I could get one of those great Apfelwein stickers? :D

Bought the fridge, supposedly can fit 3rd keg in there if "little guy" , but SWMBO says the CO2 has to go inside and stay out of sight to keep the looks of this thing respectable (it's in the dining room)
On the plus side, she gave me the "what are you thinking about" when I mentioned PVC homemade tap tower - wants me to go the whole enchilada with nice tower and taps - sweeeeet!!

-The Apfelwein stickers are AWESOME!!!

johnsma22 said:
Hey, any chance I could get one of those great Apfelwein stickers? :D
Here you go. You can make your own using Avery Shipping label stock (#5126). You get two labels per sheet.

4569-GermanApfelweinlabel.jpg

Just right click, save as, and put into a Word Doc to print out.

Stopped in today at Austin Home Brew to pick up some specialty grains, WL yeast, & hops. They still had a few of the 3 gallon cornies and about 5 of the 2.5 gallon cornies. I broke down and picked up 3 gallon so my other one would not be so lonely. :) It's in great shape and after a bit of Bar Keepers Friend, It'll look like new.

Give em' a buzz to order by phone.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but Ed, you know that you can fit two of those little guys in that cooler, right?

slimer said:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but Ed, you know that you can fit two of those little guys in that cooler, right?

Someone on here has a picture of two, but also has a tower. Ed's has the tap out the front (I've since made one similar to Ed's) and two would not fit with two taps coming out of the front.

This doesn't completely negate your argument, but in order to fit two cornies, you would need to use a tower.

slimer said:

Yeah, I know, but it requires modifications to the cooler. A fellow brewer can fit two 3 gallons cornies and a 5# CO2 bottle in his. My cooler was an inspiration to completely make mine look amateurish. :D

Here it is, compliments of photographer tgrier.

KerrysCooler.jpg

The way I made mine is using paintball co2 cannisters.

That way, if I'm on a trip and run out, I just have to find a local Dick's Sporting goods and I'm all set. I did have to tap the regulator for NPT, but that was easy.

I didn't have to modify the cooler, just offset them to the side.

Back