3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time brewer getting started on this site and on brewing!!! Just ordered my hops grains and sa-04 yeast. Pretty pricey for this recipe but this thread for ZD has inspired me! Thank everyone. Can't wait to get my ingredients. Anyone have tips on what kind of equipment will be sufficient for this batch???

This is AWESOME! Might just be my best yet. Came out right at 6%. Very slightly more malty than original, but excellent. Great head retention, but is coming off slightly flat across the tongue. I have my kegerator set at 15 psi, which is great on my braggot. I only have a single stage regulator, and do not want to over carb anything on another tap, esp. a porter or stout. I at least temporarily bumped it up to 20 psi to bring it up. Thoughts?

This is AWESOME! Might just be my best yet. Came out right at 6%. Very slightly more malty than original, but excellent. Great head retention, but is coming off slightly flat across the tongue. I have my kegerator set at 15 psi, which is great on my braggot. I only have a single stage regulator, and do not want to over carb anything on another tap, esp. a porter or stout. I at least temporarily bumped it up to 20 psi to bring it up. Thoughts?

How long has it been on the gas and at what temperature?

Since 8/5 early afternoon, temp about 38* I think, at firehouse today. My braggot was on same time/temp, and it came out perfectly carbed. Still is.

Since 8/5 early afternoon, temp about 38* I think, at firehouse today. My braggot was on same time/temp, and it came out perfectly carbed. Still is.

I find that most of my beers take two weeks to really get carbed up at serving pressure, but that depends some on the beer. I'd drop it back down to serving pressure and let it sit for a few more days and see how it's doing. 38F is warmer than i keep my keezer, so your pressure would have to be higher than mine, but it shouldn't have to be that much higher.

Here is what I am brewing now:

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 155 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (S-05) ***
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (S-04) ***

***I plan to split this into 2 carboys (3g each), and use S-05 in one and S-04 in the other to see how the yeast changes the flavor. I don't imagine either will be bad.

The changes from the last recipe I posted:
-I would end with about 1 extra oz of Citra that I don't want to re-seal since I still have about 2.5 lbs, so will add a bit more at the 5 and 1 minute additions.
-I had an extra .125 lbs of Munich, so I went ahead and threw it in.
-I forgot I left my 2-row with a friend prior to the move. I had 55 lbs of Pilsner on hand, so used it rather than driving to a brew shop (will be doing a 90 minute boil).

And can some one help me on the hop additions order? I going to be brewing this next week BIAB method and want to nail it!

I think the only confusing thing is it shows the FWH at 20 mins but that's just for the IBU calculation. With BIAB and FWH, just add the hops as soon as you pull the bag and start heating. There is no 60 minute bittering addition. The rest of the hops should be self explanatory.

It's just that that 1.25 oz 15 min addition is listed before the FWH. And I just want to know does that mean you add those into the mash during the last 15minutes of mashing? (5 minutes of mashing plus 10 minutes of mash out)? Or is that just an out of order typo and it's supposed to be last 15 minutes of boil.

It's just that that 1.25 oz 15 min addition is listed before the FWH. And I just want to know does that mean you add those into the mash during the last 15minutes of mashing? (5 minutes of mashing plus 10 minutes of mash out)? Or is that just an out of order typo and it's supposed to be last 15 minutes of boil.

Last 15 minutes of boil. The FWH is only listed as a 20 minute addition for IBU calculating purposes.

This is what I brewed. At quick glance the only difference is the mash temp.

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 152 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
0r
Wyeast 1968

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

This is assuming a 3g boil, so if you can do a full boil remove the extra oz of hops at 60minutes.

Ferment at 65F for 7-10 days

The FWH addition's IBUs are calculated as a 20 minute addition to better calculate the perceived IBUs. They are boiled the whole 60 minutes.

This recipe has had favorable results with both S-04 and WY1968. For more information here is the original thread from the Recipes/Ingredients section: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

Again….confusion on this listed order you have just posted:

3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

But I just clarified with skeezer through side messages that it should be this:

Being a newbie to this it was confusing to me to read it as having the:

...listed before the:

I was assuming that the:

...was getting added to all the grain during the last 15 minutes of mashing and that I would have to fish it out prior to lifting and squeezing the bag out. Then adding it immediately back into the pre boil wort. And THEN ALSO ADDING the 0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU right as soon as I first start to warm it up for boil.

It is now understood that (so we are all clear) I am doing it this way:

1. 0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU-(during or just prior to mash out, or as soon as I lift/start squeezing the bag out and begin heating for boil-my choice)
2. 1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
3. 1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
4. 1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
5. 1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
6. 3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)

Sorry I should have been more clear for a newbie :)

I think it was Beer Smith that put them in that order when he copied and pasted. Glad you got it figured out.

Extract version. We fell short at 1.051 OG again. Should be interesting to see what it finishes at. Could end up being a 4.5% Citra hop bomb.

Just brewed the extract version last night, although I did add an oz of simcoe at 20 minutes left in boil, mainly because the only thing I can say about ZD is I wish it was a bit more hoppy. Smelled great, looked great. OG came right in at 1.66 really excited about this one, especially since it is my first time using grains and not doing full on extract. Thanks for the recipe!

If you want it more hoppy try dry hopping in the secondary instead of the primary. I found that dry hopping in the primary tones it down a little, but makes it smoother also but still plenty of hop "bit" if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I will have to keep that in mind for the future. Just got more space for the brewing so I will be adding a secondary when this batch is ready for the first time.

Bottled today and pretty much nailed it, FG was at 1.016 so very very slightly high. I think I must have miscalculate my efficiency as it was a 2.5 gallon batch, normally that yields right at 24-25 beers for me(12oz). I only got 22 out of this one. Had the real thing, so I cracked open a bottle to drink while bottling the clone. The smell of the clone seemed more citrusy than the original. The original also had a bit of a dank smell to it that the clone was missing at this point in time. Ill post side by side pictures and tasting notes in 3 weeks when I crack the first one open. While I believe this will be an amazing beer, I think there may be a second hop in there that is more of an earthy profile.

Really want to make this beer but I am definitely a beginner. I have two questions

1. what is the amount of water you put in the initial mash.

2. do you sparge after? and if you do what temp and how much water? What should be the volume in my brew kettle post mash/sparge?

Thanks guys!

Really want to make this beer but I am definitely a beginner. I have two questions

1. what is the amount of water you put in the initial mash.

2. do you sparge after? and if you do what temp and how much water? What should be the volume in my brew kettle post mash/sparge?

Thanks guys!

1. Most people use around 1.25 - 1.50 quarts of water per pound of grain

2. I mash out at 168, then sparge with 168 to get my Pre-boil volume. Your pre-boil volume will depend on your boil off rate. I usually boil off around 1.5 gallons per hour.

Thanks for the response. I brewed it over the weekend, how long do you guys recommend it sit in the primary before moving it into the secondary?

The color is off in mine, again I ended up a few beers short of what I normally get so I think they are obviously related. A damn good beer easily the best I have made and it prob needs another week of conditioning as it has the "green" taste to it. I will be making again VERY soon, most likely in the next two weeks. The things I am taking away, is that it is not as hoppy as the original even though I added an additional oz of hops. And my color was off due to not topping off enough water in the fermenter.
This time I will do the all grain and use a secondary, at which point I may up the dry hop amount to try and reach that same level of hoppiness.

I made this yesterday... only my second attempt at all grain with about 8 months between attempts. Man, practice does make perfect.

My numbers were all over the place. My yield from my mash/sparge were well under what I expected by at least half a gallon. So, I made up for that with distilled water (mistake?). Then I ended up boiling off more than anticipated with a new pot (with less width). Then my OG was still well below anticipated; about 1.055.

I feel very unsatisfied. I guess it will still make a nice beer. I just hate missing my numbers by that much across the board. The first time I did all grain, I nailed all of my numbers.

Is BeerSmith worth it? $30 seems pretty steep for a program I feel I could make myself. I've been using Bru'n Water up to this point.

i am looking t have a go at this for my next brew, has anyone tried it with nottingham, as i am not a fan of 04?

Is BeerSmith worth it? $30 seems pretty steep for a program I feel I could make myself. I've been using Bru'n Water up to this point.

I find BeerSmith to be worth it for a few key reasons.
I have had all other programs out there for PC and tablet. and run them side by side with BeerSmith and honestly find BS more complete and feature rich while still making it logical (for the most part)....

For dialing in your equipment profile and process you can't beat it.
Recipe formulation and versioning is as easy as it gets...
I don't use the inventory system at all so I can't speak to that.
Also keep in mind that Brad is not going anywhere and is always releasing updates... I have seen promising software launch just to wither on the vine.

IMHO $30 is cheap for what you get

I just brewed 1.058 og . Is this too low? What will happen? I also fell asleep waiting for wort to chill, pitched yeast 6 hrs after boil? What's the worst/best that can happen?

I find BeerSmith to be worth it for a few key reasons.
I have had all other programs out there for PC and tablet. and run them side by side with BeerSmith and honestly find BS more complete and feature rich while still making it logical (for the most part)....

For dialing in your equipment profile and process you can't beat it.
Recipe formulation and versioning is as easy as it gets...
I don't use the inventory system at all so I can't speak to that.
Also keep in mind that Brad is not going anywhere and is always releasing updates... I have seen promising software launch just to wither on the vine.

IMHO $30 is cheap for what you get

I have grown quite fond of Brewers Friend.. I prefer it over BS because I can work on recipes anywhere I have internet access. The sweetest thing about it is that its web driven.

I tapped the keg. This brew smells and tastes amazing. I am putting it in a homebrew competition this weekend. Will post results.

I moved to my secondary today. With my unexpectedly low volume to start out, I decided to use a 5.5 gallon secondary fermenter. This is also my first time using whole hops. I just barely squeezed the beer and hops in there! :eek:

Shortly after my initial brew day I realized many things I did wrong just from lack of whole grain experience and some last minute scrambling.

• I should be balancing my mash and sparge output better. I don't think I mashed with enough water.
  • I need to test my boil off rate with my new pot. Assuming the rate would be directly related to the surface area of my pot was dumb.
  • I do not have a good OG reading on this brew and my documentation is going to be pretty much useless. I screwed up and forgot to take my og prior to putting the beer in the primary. So, I pulled the stopper and took my OG reading after I had just pitched my rehydrated yeast. This likely screwed up my reading big time, as the yeast and water was still sitting on top of the beer.

I've come to realize that I'm not too concerned with my mistakes because the beer is probably going to be delicious anyway.

Also, my sister's wedding is coming up, and I'm going to brew 2 more beers (5 or 6 gallons each) for either the rehearsal or reception. I figured I may try this recipe again and really try to shore up my mistakes and dial it in.

I've brewed this beer before and it's incredible. However, I just put the malt bill together and found out I have zero citra left in the freezer. Has anyone made this without using citra at all? I know it wont be Zombie Dust, but that's fine, as long as its a good IIPA. I have a ton of hops, Chinook, Mosaic, Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus...

I've brewed this beer before and it's incredible. However, I just put the malt bill together and found out I have zero citra left in the freezer. Has anyone made this without using citra at all? I know it wont be Zombie Dust, but that's fine, as long as its a good IIPA. I have a ton of hops, Chinook, Mosaic, Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus...

I made it with nelson sauvin and liked it (just not quite as much as citra). Overall a great grain bill for an IPA, I don't think you can go wrong with any hop that you like. Out of that list, I'd be tempted to go with Mosaic, myself.

I have used it for a lot of different IPAs, works well. Mosaic/Citra was going to be my next one. I bet Mosaic/Amarillo would be great also , or galaxy instead of Amarillo if you have it.

Latest posts

Back