3 Day Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibarra

Reaction score
I recently brewed a stout. After three days of foaming, it all stopped. I panicked and immediately threw in another yeast. I normally see my brews fermenting for at least ten days before dying out. I should have looked this up before adding the other yeast. I realized that sometimes this happens and that the yeast can do its job fairly quickly (3 days or so).
In any case, now my concern is the extra yeast that I threw in. Can this ruin my batch in any way? I know it may have a small affect on flavor. I'm thinking of cold crashing it so all the sediment goes to the bottom.
Do I have anything to worry about?

A severe over-pitch might cause problems. I am not sure if what you did could be considered a "severe over-pitch", however.

Let's see what the experts say!

Signed, a noobie.

I recently brewed a stout. After three days of foaming, it all stopped. I panicked and immediately threw in another yeast. I normally see my brews fermenting for at least ten days before dying out. I should have looked this up before adding the other yeast. I realized that sometimes this happens and that the yeast can do its job fairly quickly (3 days or so).
In any case, now my concern is the extra yeast that I threw in. Can this ruin my batch in any way? I know it may have a small affect on flavor. I'm thinking of cold crashing it so all the sediment goes to the bottom.
Do I have anything to worry about?

No worries there related to the extra yeast IMO.

You probably added a few hundred billion yeast to a fermentor with trillions of yeast already in suspension. The added yeast will do nothing other than settle to the bottom with their trillions of cousins.

Rapid fermentations often point to an overly warm fermentation. The process is exothermic and depending on the level of control of temperature you have or don't have, it can sort of be like a runaway reaction.

Some beers will be done and at FG in 3 days. Certain yeast will do this, lower OG beers will typically be finished sooner than higher OG beers. I've had a stout that was at FG in 3 days. Often if a beer is too warm it can ferment out completely overnight leaving the brewer puzzled.

Let things settle, the beer will clear, activity will stop and you can package the beer as normal.

That's my 2c

Do not cold crash yet. Fermentation may be done by the yeast will still hang out and clean up after themselves.

No need to rush it. I would wait at least 3 more days, if anything warming the fermenter for the next few days would be a good move.

Back