3 brews under my belt, first attempt at creating my own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manitoid

Reaction score
Looking to brew up a Mosaic IIPA, this is what I've come up with but having never done this before I would love opinions!

So far I've tackled Caribou Slobber from NB, and a IPA and Pale Ale from LHBS (Old West Supply in Colorado Springs).
I ordered the Plinian Legacy kit from NB, but not sure if I'll brew that one up first or this instead.

Mosaic IIPA - Imperial IPA
==========
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.076
FG: 1.019
ABV: 7.4%
Bitterness: 100.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 13 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
==========
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 8.000 lb
Muntons DME - Amber Dry Extract 2.000 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz
Total grain: 10.500 lb

Hops
==========
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min
Magnum 13.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 60.000 min
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 2.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 0.000 s

Misc
==========
Irish Moss Fining Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
==========
WLP001 - California Ale Yeast Ale Liquid

Obviously I don't know your boil off rate, but I would bet you are going to boil off more then 1/2 a gallon in 60mins. I usually loose at least a gallon in 60mins.
Hop bill looks pretty good. Definitely need some dryhopping though. A couple of oz would be a minimum in my book.
The amber DME is going to give you a fairly dark beer. I would stick with at least mostly extra light extract. Be sure to add half at the beginning of the boil and the rest in the last 10mins to avoid it getting even darker and caramelized. Adjust you hop rate for the boil gravity.
You will definitely need to make a starter for this and some yeast nutrients are never a bad idea.

Obviously I don't know your boil off rate, but I would bet you are going to boil off more then 1/2 a gallon in 60mins. I usually loose at least a gallon in 60mins.
Hop bill looks pretty good. Definitely need some dryhopping though. A couple of oz would be a minimum in my book.
The amber DME is going to give you a fairly dark beer. I would stick with at least mostly extra light extract. Be sure to add half at the beginning of the boil and the rest in the last 10mins to avoid it getting even darker and caramelized. Adjust you hop rate for the boil gravity.
You will definitely need to make a starter for this and some yeast nutrients are never a bad idea.

Thanks!

Was definitely planning on the starter. Will think about the nutrients - what do they really add to the brew? I haven't used any nutrients in the kits I've brewed so far.

Looks like it didn't carry over from BrewTarget but the Amber DME was going to be a late addition (15 min boil), I think I will switch to a Extra Light DME instead, same late addition.

What do you think about a 1oz Magnum(4 days) and 1 oz Centennial(7 days) dry hop?

Unless you are shooting for something specific with the hops, I'd be tempted to showcase the Mosaic
All Mosaic all additions
-or-
1 oz Magnum in the bitter and all Mosaic everywhere else (Magnum is a very clean bitter)​
This can be a good way to learn about a single hop. I'd probably dry hop with the Mosaic as well if I was doing the experiment.

This of course assumes you can get enough Mosaic to do this, it's out of stock just about everywhere and not exactly cheap :)

Unless you are shooting for something specific with the hops, I'd be tempted to showcase the Mosaic
All Mosaic all additions
-or-
1 oz Magnum in the bitter and all Mosaic everywhere else (Magnum is a very clean bitter)​
This can be a good way to learn about a single hop. I'd probably dry hop with the Mosaic as well if I was doing the experiment.

This of course assumes you can get enough Mosaic to do this, it's out of stock just about everywhere and not exactly cheap :)

Honestly this is what I was hoping to do, but at this point I can only get my hands on 4 oz of Mosaic.

What I'm aiming for is something with the up-front kick like a Stone IPA with a fruity base from the Mosaic.
The IPA kit I brewed from my LHBS was pretty heavy on the Citra and was not as bitter as I'd have liked.

I agree with Pablo.

Bitter with something else and flavor and dry hop with mosaic. I'm a big fan of mosaic and have used them multiple times for flavoring and aroma. Still got a couple onces in the fridge actually.

Magnum is a great bittering hop in my opinion so I would second him there as well. I'd drop the centennial as well to showcase the mosaic.

The recipe looks great though and it's ultimately up to you. Definitely interested in the final product so keep us updated.

I agree with Pablo.

Bitter with something else and flavor and dry hop with mosaic. I'm a big fan of mosaic and have used them multiple times for flavoring and aroma. Still got a couple onces in the fridge actually.

Magnum is a great bittering hop in my opinion so I would second him there as well. I'd drop the centennial as well to showcase the mosaic.

The recipe looks great though and it's ultimately up to you. Definitely interested in the final product so keep us updated.

+3 on using just Magnum to bitter. This frees up an oz of mosaic to dry hop with.

I would add about a pound of sugar to help dry it out.

Also i would use a 5 ml hopshot for the the 60 min addition. I like the combo of centennial and mosaic. For the dry hop I would do 2 rounds one with centennial for a week then mosaic for a week 2oz each. Before you do the dry hopping cold crash your beer by putting it in the fridge for a day or 2 that will help drop the yeast out and the dry hops will loose less flavor to the yeast.

Adding some gypsum to your boil is a good idea also. Maybe a teaspoon it will help extenuate the hops and bitterness.

Honestly this is what I was hoping to do, but at this point I can only get my hands on 4 oz of Mosaic.

What I'm aiming for is something with the up-front kick like a Stone IPA with a fruity base from the Mosaic.
The IPA kit I brewed from my LHBS was pretty heavy on the Citra and was not as bitter as I'd have liked.

See Stone's IPA recipe on page 44 here - I have been eyeballing this one.
http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/

Thanks everybody for the help so far!

I'm going to mull this over and will post an updated recipe tomorrow!

See Stone's IPA recipe on page 44 here - I have been eyeballing this one.
http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/

Yeah, I have that saved. That's actually where I got the idea to add Centennial from when I thought I wouldn't have enough to do an all-Mosaic brew.

I think that centennial and mosaic would be good together kind of like citra and simcoe

Adding a bit of sugar really helps make the beer dry and the hops to shine. If you could get your hands on Crystal 20 or 40 instead of the 60 I would use that also.

Here's where I'm at after your suggestions:

----
Boil Size: 5.750 gal
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.020
ABV: 7.8%
Bitterness: 69.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 11 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
----
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 8.000 lb
Muntons LME - Extra Light Extract 2.000 lb (late addition 15 min boil)
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Sugar 12.000 oz (late addition 15 min boil)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 8.000
Total grain: 11.250 lb

Hops
----
Magnum 13.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 2.000 min Pellet
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil flameout Pellet
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 4.000 day Leaf
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 4.000 day Pellet

Misc
----
Irish Moss Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min
Yeast Nutrient Primary 0.500 tsp
Gypsum Boil 1.000 tsp

Yeast
----
WLP001 - California Ale Liquid Yeast

You have a good bitterness addition and a ton of late addition aroma hops. I would be concerned about not getting the flavor you're looking for, and would suggest dropping the flameout Mosaic add since the dry hop is going to give you the same character. Instead consider moving it to the 15-20 minute mark.

Just saw that you have the crystal grains as a late addition--those need to be steeped at 160dg for about 30 minutes then removed before the boil.

Make sure you aerate this really well once the wort has cooled to get the most out of your yeast. Good luck!

Final update, acquired all the ingredients and will be brewing this up next weekend

Thanks again for the help everyone!

----
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.081
FG: 1.020
ABV: 7.9%
Bitterness: 95.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 11 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
----
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 7.500 lb
Muntons LME - Extra Light Extract 3.000 lb (late 15 min boil)
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 8.000 oz (late 15 min boil)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Steep 8.000 oz
Total grain: 11.500 lb

Hops
----
Magnum 13.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 20.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Boil 2.000 min
Mosaic 11.6%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 4.000 day
Centennial 10.5%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 4.000 day

Misc
----
Irish Moss Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min
Yeast Nutrient Primary 0.500 tsp
Gypsum Boil 1.000 tsp

Yeast
----
WLP001 - California Ale Liquid Yeast

You might think about doing a full pound of sugar. You really want to get your FG down around 1.012. Also I disagree about loosing the steeping hops at flame out. When I do my DIIPA I use 5 ounces of hops steeped for 20 min while I whirlpool.

I think the recipe looks good. The only advice I would give would be to tightly control your fermentation temps. I would start it around 65 F for the first few days and let it ramp up from there. My first IIPA fermented way too hot and end up tasting like rubbing alcohol.

You might also consider adding the sugar on the third day of fermentation. You can boil up some water add the sugar with yeast nutrient, cool it add it. It helps to keep the yeast eating the maltose and relieves some of the stress by providing additional nutrients (at least in theory).

You might think about doing a full pound of sugar. You really want to get your FG down around 1.012. Also I disagree about loosing the steeping hops at flame out. When I do my DIIPA I use 5 ounces of hops steeped for 20 min while I whirlpool.

I've been playing around with the grain/extract bill to try to get the FG down a bit, to at least 1.016. Any way I can get this down there the ABV drops down a little bit too low for my liking. I'm using BrewTarget not Beersmith, not sure if that changes anything.

Any suggestions on the grain bill to get the FG right and the ABV up above 7?

Here is what I would do

7lbs LME PALE
3lbs DME pilsen or light at 15min
.5lbs Crystal 40 steeped at 156f for 20min
1.5lbs Sugar at 15min

That will put you in the 8% ABV range and get you a FG around 1.015.

I would ferment it with US-05 and use 1.5 packets of yeast. If you can hit the wort with some O2 for 90 seconds and ferment at about 65f

Here is what I would do

7lbs LME PALE
3lbs DME pilsen or light at 15min
.5lbs Crystal 40 steeped at 156f for 20min
1.5lbs Sugar at 15min

That will put you in the 8% ABV range and get you a FG around 1.015.

I would ferment it with US-05 and use 1.5 packets of yeast. If you can hit the wort with some O2 for 90 seconds and ferment at about 65f

Hmm, maybe brewtarget's calculations are off?

That gives me a FG of 1.023 in Brewtarget. ABV is at 8.9 though.

Back