2nd year hops are going well!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oconnor1981

Reaction score
This is my second year with these four. I ordered the rhizomes through freshops.com, and they have done well. I planted a Nugget, Willamette, Zues, and Cascade. I did lose a Galena that never really got going. I got a couple ounces off of the nugget and Zues last year and a mere handful from the other two. They are just starting to flower now. I just ordered two more, a Centennial and a Horizon. The Centennial I plan on trying to train and grow horizontally on the hardware cloth that surrounds my garden

ForumRunner_20110718_205429.jpg

ForumRunner_20110718_205437.jpg

ForumRunner_20110718_205458.jpg

VERY nice! How tall is that trellis?
You're about 20 minutes from me. cool.

The trellis is about 15 feet tall. I took a look at your hop project, and I also thought about growing mine on the south side of my house but decided to go with the trellis instead. I haven't a clue how productive these four will be this year but they're all doing really well this year. A couple started faster but their all almost equal now. I was persistent initially this Spring of cutting out shoots at the base but when it got warmer in the past 2-3 weeks I kinda let the base of the hops to get kinda outta control. They're getting burrs near the top so it won't be long.

Back