2nd phase Fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsuryan

Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member and new to brewing. I have a red beer that I brewed two weeks ago. It has been on stage 1 feementation for those 2 weeks. I want to know if it is still okay to move to phase two fermentation or if I should just bottle it? I have received different messages from the brew store. One says bottle the other guy says it doesn't matter how long it is phase 1 before moving to phase 2

Thanks for the help!!

Leave it for another week then bottle. I only secondary because I cannot leave my hands off of it. Bad habit lol

Yea to the above. No need to secondary unless you need the fermenting bucket to start another brew or you are adding someting like fruit.

3 weeks in primary 3 weeks in bottles. Don't rush the yeast, give it time to clean up after it's done fermenting.

Many, maybe even most on here are pretty much anti-secondary. I'd suggest trying one batch with it and one batch without and see what works for you. I secondary my beers, but it's just habit I guess. It frees up the primary for another batch, which is one of the few things on here we can all agree on - the next batch is a good thing. Now, if you get a 2nd primary, that will no longer be a problem.

The best indicator for you is the hydrometer reading - it will tell you if it is safe to bottle.

Whether or not to use a secondary is a matter of preference. For me (and lots of others) it is necessary. For many it is not.

As far as when to transfer to secondary, it is very common to do so right after the vigorous ferment stage is over, or a day before. The reasoning behind that is because the beer is still out-gassing Co2 and will purge any oxygen in the secondary vessel after it is transferred.

That reason doesn't matter if the secondary vessel is very full because there will not be any room for oxygen. In those cases, it would be fine to transfer any time after primary fermentation is complete.

In any case, it is common belief that a slight introduction of oxygen is something that affects flavor over time. I have never experienced the effects because I always drink them within two or three months.

Back