2nd Partial mash beer kit ??'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
Ok so I just ordered my 2nd Partial mash beer kit, thought I may try tweaking it a bit. I ordered a NB Mild English Ale kit ( with grains ) and added 1 lb Simpsons Peated Malt grain and some heather tips as well as a tad more hops to my order. But since this is only my 2nd bier kit, In your Opinion should I just stick to the kit or should I start thinking outside the box and add the extra grain & other goodies ?

Jens

I say definitely go for it. I just finished my third partial mash this weekend - Scottish Ale. I added extra DME, messed with the hop addition and added some hops from a previous kit, added some juniper berries to the boil, and I'm thinking of adding heather tips and some herb my girlfriend grew to the secondary as a sort of dry hopping.

BTW, how much heather tips did you order? How were thinking of adding these to the brew?

I got 2 oz of heather tips, I was going to add them in the last 10 min of the boil- anybody have any advice on that ? I'm looking to get a wee bit of smoky-peaty highland flavor in my ale.

Jens

Peat smoked malt is very strong. I used 8 oz. in a barley wine and it took over a year before it was drinkable. I'd cut it to 4 oz. or even 2.

Do whatever you wish, that's why we homebrew.
I did the same as you experimenting with my first few batches. I wish now that I would have followed the recipes a little closer so I could learn what the different flavors did to the beers. But that's just MHO.

Also peated malt is very strong so I would agree with david_42 and use less than you think you need.

I'm thinking you're trying for a Scottish flavor, correct? If so there is no peated malts in most Scottsh Ales. The flavors come from carmelizing the wort and the yeast.
If you like Scottish ales here's a great recipe to look forward to making as you get more experience:mug:

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes.cfm

(edit) The link takes you to the main recipe page, go to Scottish ales and look at Traquair house clone

Thanks for the tips Guys, I'm going for something approaching Fraoch Heather Ale, from the sound of it my initial idea would have been darn near un-drinkable. I think I'll use just a 2 oz of the peated malt as suggested, and hopefully have a good drinkable brew.
Any suggestions on how to use the heather tips? My instinct is to add them with the last hop addition- or should I start them early in the boil. Also what quantity of sweet gale would be correct 2 oz 4 oz 8oz ? We are not afraid of big flavor beers in my house, but I would like this to be drinkable.

Anybody have a recipe for "Fraoch Heather Ale clone" - my SWMBO's favorite beers ever. I'm not set up for AG- yet so part grain /part extract would be lovely.

Thanks for the help guys !

Jens

After some suggestions and research here is what I came up with for a recipe, how's it sound ?

Heather Ale

1/8lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
1/4 lbs. Crisp Amber Malt
1/4 lbs. Crisp Brown Malt
2 oz flaked oats
2 oz Simpsons Peated Malt

3.15 lbs. Amber LME
1 lbs. Amber DME

1 oz Fuggle pellets 1/2 at 60 min 1/2 at flame out
1 oz crystal pellets 1/2 at 60 min 1/2 at flame out
2 oz heather tips 10-1 min ?
2 oz sweet gale 10-1 min ?