2nd fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
Ive recentley stumbled across the 1 2 3 method on this board. I currently have a a 5 gallon all extract batch of IPA in a glass carboy. Is it ok to rack that to a plastic bucket for a secondary fermentation.

Thanks in advance.

Austin

One thing you could do is sipon into the plastic, then clean the carboy and siphon back into it... This is what we plan to do with our two batches... We siphon one from the carboy into the plastic, then clean that carboy, siphon the second car into the first and clean the second, then siphon the plastic into the carboy... of course our second is more for clearing than more fermentation.... I just don't like plastic because eventually the plastic dries out and cracks, plastic also scratches easily and remember that your beer is corosive which will overtime eat away at the plastic...

Thats way to much cleaning and sanitizing for me. I would rather spend the extra $20 and get another carboy. The less transfer of your wort the less risk of contamination. Thats just me though.

silver02ws6 said:
Ive recentley stumbled across the 1 2 3 method on this board. I currently have a a 5 gallon all extract batch of IPA in a glass carboy. Is it ok to rack that to a plastic bucket for a secondary fermentation.

Thanks in advance.

Austin

I'd just leave the current batch alone and next time use the plastic for primary and the carboy as a clearing tank; remember, you don't have to use a secondary stage.

I think for now i may not use a secondary stage. Will it make my beer taste better or just make it more clear. As long as it taste good going down im not worried about clarity at the moment.

Austin

AleHole said:
Thats way to much cleaning and sanitizing for me. I would rather spend the extra $20 and get another carboy. The less transfer of your wort the less risk of contamination. Thats just me though.

You're right it is a lot of transferring with risk of contamination... The packets of sanitizer has to be mixed with 2 gallons so we're like hey why not... We have 2 carboys it's just we're doing 2 batchs at once, and wanted to clear it as best as possible... If the one batch isn't contaminated then i'm assuming it won't ever contaminate lol (had super fermentation and had a blowout).

I'm also in charge of sanitizing so we can be sure it gets done VERY well...

silver02ws6 said:
I think for now i may not use a secondary stage. Will it make my beer taste better or just make it more clear. As long as it taste good going down im not worried about clarity at the moment.

Austin

Best beer I've made to date sat in the primary for 3 weeks with no secondary stage. You're beer should not be affected by skipping the secondary (in fact John Palmer, author of How to Brew says he never uses a secondary).

Latest posts

Back