2nd Brew - Happy but looking for feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boiseburb

Reaction score
For my second brew, It was the same as the first:

A two gallon batch using 3 lbs. of amber extract, saaz hops, and Mutton Gold yeast.

For the hops, I used 1/2 oz. for bittering, 1 oz. flavoring, 1/2 oz. aroma.

Beginning gravity 1.044, ending gravity 1.017

This batch I left in the primary around 67 degrees for one month. After primary I cold crashed for 3 days. I set it out on the counter for 6 hours to bring to room temperature. After Boiling 1 cup of extract I added it to the mix, stirred lightly then bottled.

I let the bottles sit out for 10 days then chilled in a cooler.

At this point, it seems like the ending gravity stayed really high. After a month I didn't want to let it sit any longer. I used roughly 1/4 a pack of 6g yeast. Not enough yeast?

I popped a bottle after 5 days in the cooler and as expected it was heavily carbonated. Not too bad, but enough it bothered me.

I also want a little more body and my guess is letting it condition in the bottles will solve that issue. I'll just have to weigh bottle bombs vs. beer with more body.

I do like the taste, I do like the clarity from cold crash, I just feel a little more tweaking and I will get it where I want it to be.

I think I know my answers, though it's nice to get feedback and suggestions.

I noticed in your recipe that it does not have any steeping grains.

If you are looking to add more body to your extract based beer, I would suggest steeping specialty grains before the boil. Usually this is 1 to 2 pounds of *crushed* malted barley that is steeped at 150-155 F for 30 minutes. I tie mine in a muslin bag and let them sit for the duration of the steep, only occasionally stirring the bag and being careful not to squeeze them too hard as you don't want to extract tannins from the grain husks.

You can also use these grains to add color to your beer. Steeping grains is one way of getting closer to all grain beers without going through the actual mashing process. Note that steeping grains mainly adds body and color and does not usually contribute any fermentable sugars to the wort.

A full cup of extract is an awful lot for priming 2 gallons. The standard is 1 1/4 cups for a 5 gallon batch. So you should only need 1/2 cup for 2. If the fermentables are available the yeast will eat them until they are gone and over carb your beer. As the above poster said, steeping grains is a really good way to add body to an extract brew.

alaskana said:
If you are looking to add more body to your extract based beer, I would suggest steeping specialty grains before the boil. Usually this is 1 to 2 pounds of *crushed* malted barley that is steeped at 150-155 F for 30 minutes. I tie mine in a muslin bag and let them sit for the duration of the steep, only occasionally stirring the bag and being careful not to squeeze them too hard as you don't want to extract tannins from the grain husks.

So this is kind of a myth. Tannins are not extracted by squeezing, unless you've gone to high in temp or your water is extremely alkaline. Tannin extraction generally occurs at temps higher than 170. Above that temp they begin to become water soluble. Squeezing the worsens the problem as you are now forcing more of the tannins out of the grain into the wort. Below 170 squeezing shouldn't be an issue (except if your water is alkaline as stated above)

I also don't know that you used enough yeast. I usually use 11.5 g of S-05 for a 5.5 gallon batch, so 1.5-2 g seems like loo little, IMO.

I also don't know that you used enough yeast. I usually use 11.5 g of S-05 for a 5.5 gallon batch, so 1.5-2 g seems like loo little, IMO.

For mutton's gold, they sell it in 6g packs for a 5-6 gallon batch. I've split it up, poorly. Would the yeast not eat through all the sugar in a month?

boiseburb said:
For mutton's gold, they sell it in 6g packs for a 5-6 gallon batch. I've split it up, poorly. Would the yeast not eat through all the sugar in a month?

Yes, but I would just use the whole pack. 1.017 is a reasonable FG for an extract brew.

Well said Draken! I was actually kind of wondering about the accuracy of that 'common knowledge' regarding tannin extraction from squeezing steeping grain bags too much. Thanks for the info, and I will take that into account for my future brews (and suggestions for others).

Cheers. :)

Well, they sell them in 6 g packs, and the instructions might say this is sufficient for the batch, but many a list of instructions was subpar in the good advice category. MrMalty, a well-respected authority on yeast pitching rates, calls for 3 g of dry yeast for a 2 gallon batch of 1.044 wort. You would have needed 1/2 of the pack to hit proper rates. Your yeast still finished, but cell count is important for yeast health and "proper" ester production during fermentation and you might be able to taste some off flavors in the final product.

+1 to the not enough yeast and too much priming extract.
If you do a similar batch, double the yeast and halve the priming extract and I bet you will like the improvement!

Latest posts

Back