2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
I am brewing AHS kolsch extract kit. I added 1% alcohol boost. OG was 1.058. It has been in primary for five days. Really took off after about 12 hours. I took a gravity reading today and it was 1.018(kit says final should be 1.014). It's not bubbling much any more, maybe one bubble every 20 seconds or so. Just wondering when I should rack to secondary? Yeast is safeale k-97.

Leave it where it is. If it is in a bucket you can leak around the seal which lessens the amount of CO2 that goes through the airlock (you can see nothing and it is still working).

Most of the fermentation is done, it can take a few more days to finish. You can move it to a warmer location to help it finish.

I'd leave it in the fermenter for at least another week. Once fermentation is complete, the yeast are still developing flavors, and if you remove the beer from the cake too early, you can be left with some undesirable flavors.

Back