2nd batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfroHopster

Reaction score
ok 1st batch is in primary been there for about 3 days its a PSA IPA (extract) from brewers Best from the local store trying to keep my beer temps in the 65 to 68 range in the basement. I had to put it in a tub of water and that seemed to help but I only test the water temp around the bucket is that ok or is it another way.

next would be I want to do all grain but should I try a few more extract batches 1st or just jump in when I get the items to do so?

3rd looking to do a Saison but it looks like it needs 6 months or more before i can drink it??

any other ideas for a 2nd batch something to open around christmas

Welcome to the addiction, or rather, hobby. Looking ofr your second bath with your first in the fermetnro fo only three days indicates you're hooked already!

You might try putting a t-shirt on your fermenter and keeping that wet - it will help keep temps down. I brewed 2 - 1 gallon extract/steeped grain batches, one extract batch and then moved to all grain. If you like the process, and aren't afraid of spending some money o equipment - all grain is a lot more fun. And you'll find that you can control a lot more of the variables - which then shifts all the responsibility (and bragging rights) for making a really good beer to you! No more saying "the kit wasn't that great".

I've made a couple saisons and they don't take anywhere near that long. Six weeks, not six months is more like it. But you'll have the opposite challenge to the one you described - you need to get your fermentation temp up, not down. I've taken mine into the upper 80's, low 90's - so you'll need to find a very warm place or add some heating to your fermentation. A closet with a temp controlled heater will work.

You might want to try a porter for Christmas or a spiced ale. I've just transferred a spiced Christmas out of my primary into a keg getting ready to carbonate. It tasted GREAT going into the keg.

Here's the recipe:

[FONT=&quot]Christmas Ale - Gingerbread Ale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Author: South River Brewing Company[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Size: 5.5 gal [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Efficiency: 74.37%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attenuation: 75.0%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Original Gravity: 1.071 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Terminal Gravity: 1.018 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Color: 17.76 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alcohol: 7.02% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bitterness: 32.7 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13.0 lb (86.7%) 2-Row Brewers Malt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.5 lb (3.3%) Crystal 60 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.5 lb (3.3%) Special B - Caramel malt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.25 lb (1.7%) Munich Wheat Malt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.25 lb (1.7%) Chocolate Rye Malt [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.25 oz (58.8%) Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.88 oz (41.2%) Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.5 lb (3.3%) Honey - steeped after boil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbsp Bitter Curacao/Bitter Orange (Peel) - added dry to primary fermenter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 ea Cinnamon (stick) - added dry to primary fermenter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp Ginger - Dried, Cracked Pieces - added dry to primary fermenter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 ea Vanilla (whole bean), split and cut into pieces - added dry to primary fermenter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Schedule:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mash In - Liquor: 4.53 gal; Strike: 164.59 °F; Target: 152.0 °F[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saccrification Rest - Rest: 54.0 m; Final: 152.0 °F[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mash Out - Heat: 0.7 m; Target: 168.0 °F[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]01:30:11 Sparge - Sparge Volume: 4.49 gal; Sparge Temperature: 180.0 °F; Runoff: 7.26 gal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Make a tea by placing the spices into a small hop bag and boil with the honey in 2 quarts of the wort for about a minute to combine. Let the mixture steep for at least 15 minutes, then add the tea to the wort going into the fermenter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.24[/FONT]

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back