2nd All Grain IPA Batch...good flavor not carbonated enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriend54

Reaction score
Hi..

I entered the world of brewing by brewing a 1 gallon all-grain Brooklyn Brew Everyday IPA. That came out OK.... taste was so-so but seemed like it carbonated OK

The second batch I sourced all the grain, hops and yeast from my local home brew supply (Hydrobrew in Oceanside Ca,) for a 1 gallon batch of IPA.

They took one of their IPA recipes on file and cut it down to 1 gallon for me. This time I made a lauter tun out of 2 - 2 gallon plastic paint buckets. I made zapap lauter tun and it worked better than the method that came with the original 1 gallon kit method.

Anyway I pitched White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast and it fermented like crazy. I bottled it after 1 week and used Honey as the priming sugar just as I did with the original Brooklyn Brew kit....

This time though the beer is pretty flat...Not completely flat but nowhere near the carbonatiion that it should be... The flavor and alcohol content seems just fine. The beer just seems flat. I carbonated in flip top bottles for 2weeks...Same as last time...

I wonder if the honey was not a good match for the yeast I pitched with. The last time the yeast was powdered (dry?) and in a packet...

Any ideas?

two weeks is a very short time specially if you prime with honey try again in two weeks, this of course if you used the rigth amount of honey

Back