2L ss conical fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleyBrew

Reaction score
Like a lot of people on here I enjoy building stuff for brewing as much as I enjoy brewing and beer. I've been making 1 gallon batches lately and I was thinking of making this into a conical fermentor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZXKNWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I figure I would drill a hole in the cap for a valve which is easy. The problem I see is for venting. My first thought is to drill a hole in the bottom (it will be upside down after all) and put in some kind of bulkhead in to attach a blow off tube. But I just don't think it will be easy to tighten a nut from the inside. So I was thinking (as I look at my son's milk bottles) I could instead drill a second hole in the lid and run a ss tube to the bottom. This way I could keep the growler in tact and get a new lid if I wanted to use it as designed.

Any thoughts? Pros? Cons? Am I crazy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a lot of people on here I enjoy building stuff for brewing as much as I enjoy brewing and beer. I've been making 1 gallon batches lately and I was thinking of making this into a conical fermentor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZXKNWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I figure I would drill a hole in the cap for a valve which is easy. The problem I see is for venting. My first thought is to drill a hole in the bottom (it will be upside down after all) and put in some kind of bulkhead in to attach a blow off tube. But I just don't think it will be easy to tighten a nut from the inside. So I was thinking (as I look at my son's milk bottles) I could instead drill a second hole in the lid and run a ss tube to the bottom. This way I could keep the growler in tact and get a new lid if I wanted to use it as designed.

Any thoughts? Pros? Cons? Am I crazy?

2L is a half gallon... thats not much room to ferment in. Waste of money and time at that size IMHO.... especially if you do 1 gal batches, you'd need at least two of these (and that would leave you with ZERO headspace)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man. I was blinded by the fact that I found a cheap ss conical shaped vessel that I didn't even realize that it was way too small! I can't believe I missed that!! Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Back