2565 under attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinth

Reaction score
this is my first brew with this yeast. i mashed at about 64C. OG was 1.060, pitched at 13C. took off quick, i raised it 1C every 24 hours until 17C. after just shy of 2 weeks the gravity was at 1.020. it's very sweet. i made a starter that was about 2.5 litres. at this kind of cooler temp should i have made a bigger starter? next time i will ferment it a bit warmer, i was going for a clean tasting malty beer but much drier than this.

3LVHvP0.png

I would give it a couple more days. At low temperatures, all reactions tend to take longer and the sweet taste may be due to fermentable sugars that remain in the beer. Münich also releases some nonfermentables that will raise the FG slightly so do not expect it to go down to <1.010. High amounts of Münich could cause the mash pH to go down so that the fermentability could be affected if the pH is not controlled.

Warm it up to room temperature and give it 3 more weeks. This is a notoriously very slow and finicky yeast, but will do a good job if you give it 5-6 weeks time.

i should also note the head retention is ****ing incredible. my room temperature is 30 plus atm, it's humid as f. i live in north east australia. i'll see how it goes at a warmer temp. ie, 20

Back