250g of PBW - how many bottles could I clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
I dumped 250g of PBW into 25 litres of warm water (fully dissolved) and used it to clean the 40 bottles I'm using for my current batch.

But how many more could I clean? How when I be able to tell when the solution has lost its potency?

The bottles aren't that dirty either, most of them have been rinsed after use and only some have labels (I like to be extra careful though).

250 gr!! That's 1 cup in 6.5 gallons.
Use it as long as it still gets the job done. It will go a long way 1.5 times strength, warm is best It's not meant to be used as a sanitizer. You'll need something like starsan.

It's a soap. Use it until it doesn't act like a soap or is too gross to touch. I use it to take labels off of bottles and can go through over 50 bottles before I stop using it. And I normally stop because I run out of bottles

People measure how much they use?! I usually just dump some in depending on the size of the job, mix with some hot water and get at it. I use it until the jobs done

Well, 250g equals about 16.9 Tablespoons. I use 3-4 TBSP's in enough water in my 5 gallon home depot bucket to cover the bottles by an inch or so. Just stir the PBW into the water to completely dissolve first. which takes a while. Great for soaking labels & glue off. It'll also float moldy nastiness out of the bottom of the bottles.

Best to use per manufacturer's directions. Need to get the proper ppm's.

I highly doubt the ppm would matter that much with pbw. It is not a sanitizer. It is only meant to clean the dirt and grime off equipment you are using. I'm sure a little to much or too little will not really affect the potency much. As long as it cleans the items you are trying to clean.

I brewed 42 five gallon ag batch's using the powder cleaner with no sanitizer and had 0 infections. Sanitation could be slightly over rated.

Back