24oz used bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
My kit came with only 24 bottles, so instead of ordering another 24 I have been saving Arrogant/Double Bastard and Imperial Russian Stout 24oz-ers for the last week or so and thought it'd be fun to bottle half in those. Is it fine to use them if I clean them well and sanitize and make sure to leave a little extra airspace? Would I need to get a bigger bottle brush to be effective?

You can use any bottle that holds pressure and takes a cap. Just clean them really well so there are no visable signs of dirt and then sanitize and bottle.

I wanna do a clone and bottle it in the real thing and see if my friends notice the difference!

haha that's cool I've done that before. Don't worry about the lables, people freak out if you don't remove them but as long as the inside of the bottle is sanitary you'll be good to go.

I fail to to see the point of buying a empty bottle when full ones don't cost much more. Just avoid the twist offs. I just think of it as recycling. I going to try using 750ml champagne bottles with plastic corks and new wires soon.

I prefer the larger bottles. Fewer to clean, sanitize, and cap. I've reused them many times without issue.
Besides, who really considers 12oz an satisfactory serving size?

I fail to to see the point of buying a empty bottle when full ones don't cost much more. Just avoid the twist offs. I just think of it as recycling. I going to try using 750ml champagne bottles with plastic corks and new wires soon.

I agree. Now when I buy 12 packs of Sierra Nevada or Negra I consider it a 50% investment since I keep the bottles and case.

I just cleaned them out and my GOD that was a pain. Two of them weren't rinsed after I drank them and had some mold deposits on the bottoms, but I scrubbed with a bottle brush and dishwashing detergent and rinsed well... will that be an issue? I'm going to soak them all probably overnight in a bleach solution.. what concentration should I use?

+1 on the oxyclean. An hour soak does most of the cleaning work for you , and does wonders for getting labels & glue off too.

I have yet to need oxyclean for bottles only because I am religious about rinsing my bottles as soon as they are poured. It is such a habit that I even get it accomplished while druck! That said, I keep meaning to pick up some for label duty, but the vast majority of bombers that I drink are from Rouge and those are screenprinted. A buddy of mine brought me a case of misc bombers that I have been using.

That said, I keep meaning to pick up some for label duty, but the vast majority of bombers that I drink are from Rouge and those are screenprinted.
If you use StarSan, keep some of the used portion and soak the screenprinted bottles in it. The labels will come off after a week.

Back