24 Hours of Beer Brewing (Sat May 26)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOP31

Reaction score
So the hammer has been thrown down by a couple friends and fellow club members, to see who can brew the most batches of beer in a 24 hour brew session. Insane I know, but I must defend my honor. I will be going up aginst a couple of other teams, one who will be using a Sabco and a cooler set-up. My team will have two cooler mash tuns, a keggle and an 8 gal boil kettle, multiple burners and HLTs.

I have on hand two pounds of German Hallertau, and will have shortly 55 lbs of american 2 row and 55 lbs of Maris Otter, along with a few other things for a couple of specific batches.

A batch is being determined by boil size, (ie. 10 gal boil = one batch, two 5 gal boils = two batches) Just thought I should define that up front. I have been reading heavily on Parti-gyle and SWIG brewing.

I am curently trying to put together recipies and a game plan for the order of brewing that will best lend itself to pulling a big beer and a small beer (at least) off of every mash. Again we are going for the most batches (can be the same beer more than once too) then if there is a tie we will use quantity. We are trying to make good beer so quality is ultimatly more important than quantity. I am thinking that each team will end up brewing any where from 25-50 gallons depending on the efficiency of thier proccesses.

I really could use any help, tips, sugestions, crticisms, recipees, or other knowledge that you all may deem as relivent, it would be greatly apreciated. I will be updating as the date (26 May 2007) Draws closer as well as posting the results of the brew off.

Cheers and wish me luck!

Kick Arse!!! Have pumps or a bunch of empty cornies and co2 around for faster fluid movement.

How many fermenters and burners do you have? Theoretically, you should be able to mash one beer while boiling another. One burner keeps a ready supply of ~170° water for stiking and sparging, while the other is boiling wort.

You could always buy a couple of no-boil kits if you need to make up some ground at the end ;)

wop31 said:
A batch is being determined by boil size, (ie. 10 gal boil = one batch, two 5 gal boils = two batches) Just thought I should define that up front.

So if you do a few 10-gallon sparges, but from each of those you do, say, 10 x 1-gallon boils, you win?

I don't think I can offer any brewing advice, but I will offer this advice - ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT! I think is an awesome idea, I wish I had a homebrew club willing to take this on. I'm sure it will be tough, but it will be an awesome memory - plus all the brew. Maybe make at least one big beer you can save for a long time to remember you victory. ;)

Wow, good luck that sounds awesome. I think I might fall over in exhaustion if I did that. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures.

Jason

Thanks for all the replies, To try and answer the questions:

No one gallon batches don't count, it's a minimum of 5, we already thought of that.
We are using parti-gyle and the SWIG method. So big beer/small beer. the question is though what are we going to do with all the spent grain, we are still working on that one.
As far as what we are going to do with the beer, Drink it of course. You all are more then welcome to come by for a beer when ever you want. :mug:

Cheers and updates to follow.

Just got this e-mail it is the order put in at the LHBS (they gave us 20% off the order , I think a bag of grain came out to $38 :) )

1 bag Briess 2-Row
1 bag Muntons 2-Row
1 bag Muntons Maris Otter
1 bag Briess 2-Row
5lb bag Briess Flaked Maze
Mexican Lager Yeast (currently in stock)
American Ale Yeast (currently in stock)
2 bags Muntons Maris Otter
1 bag Briess 2-Row
50lb bag of rice hulls
1lb EKG
10lb 40L Briess crystal
10lb 60L Muntons crystal

Hopefully it will all be used of sat, Oh yeah good day :D

Is partial mash okay, or only all grain? You should do some high gravity mash low gravity brews. Use your rice hulls liberally, make it a perogative to use up the Entire 50lb bag by the end of 24 hours. Make sure you have enough yeast on hand.

And music, lots of good, yet easy to listen to music.

hey thats 3 bags of maris otter?!?!

Based on my three brew day then I'd say you can easily do 3 brews in 9 hours, With helps and some forward planning then I'd say using conventional mash and batch sparging that you can make 4 in 10 hours. So that's about 10 batches of five gallons. So that's you 100# of grain gone.

If you are using multiple equipment and you have the stamina then you'll increase that

Now that i have finally recovered from the 24 hour brew-a-thon, and made it through another disaster in my life(truck issues), We have started compiling data from the brew day. Here is a quick run down on what & how my team did:

-# of 5 gallon batches: 9 (Brown, Pale, ESB, Mexi Lager, Stout, Amber, IPA, Pirate Piss, Grog Bucket)
-Pounds of grain: ~100lb
-Ounces of hops: ? (Will have to look that up the best I can)
-Types of hops: 5+ (Cascade, Liberty, Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Magnum & What ever ended up in the Grog)
-Types of yeast: 6 (Cali WLP001, European WLP011, Dry English Ale WLP007, English Ale WLP002, Kolsch WLP029, Mexi Lager WLP940)
-Adjuncts used: 5lb Flaked Maize, 1lb Flaked Barley
-Total number of man hours: 56 (18 from me, 18 from Scott & 20 From Bob)
-Total number of boilovers: 1
-Propane tanks cashed: 2
-Most beers brewing at one time: 4 (2 mashing, 2 boiling)
-Number of melted extension cords: 1
-Number of recipes used: 2 (Amber & IPA)
-#of Batches never to be duplicated: 1 (run-off Bucket Grog)
-Equipment used: 1 HLT (1 auxiliary stock pot), 2 Mash Tuns, 2 Boil Kettles, 2 Turkey Burners, 1 Counter Flow Chiller, 1 Borrowed Immersion Chiller, 1 Homemade super pimp brew stand)

Starting at the top, the styles are pretty straight forward except The pirate Piss, that one was the brain child of a bad hangover and lack of sleep, sort of a light pale ale with flaked maize and Kolsch yeast. The Grog Bucket was a seven gallon bucket that we ran off the excess wort out of our mash tun (from each batch) into and then at the end of the night boiled it up and hopped it through out the boil, we allowed all three teams in on this, so there is no telling how much hops ended up in there.

Just a word of warning to everyone out there, NEVER leave an extension cord coiled up and plugged into a 1500W electric water heater element for 10 hours. Luckily enough no one got hurt and we discovered our mistake before any major disaster, but we still burnt a cord all to hell.

Keep in mind that this was just my teams results (and we only brewed for 18 hours because we are slackers and showed up late and left early), there was two other teams and one guy made an extract batch just to add to the cause. If there are any other teams out there and you see this feel free to post your results. The good news is I do belive that we maxed out the capacity of three homebreweries.

One OBTW i belive that there was a total of 26 (Five Gal) fermentors filled through out the night.

Cheers

More Results to follow.
Oh Yeah :rockin: :ban: (how come my banana isn't dancing?)

Impressive bro!!! :rockin:

Now, sorry but I must add this...

threadworthlesswithoutpics8wa.gif

:mug:

davidr2340 said:
Impressive bro!!! :rockin:

Now, sorry but I must add this...

threadworthlesswithoutpics8wa.gif

Holy crap salad!!!... that's a lot of brew!

oh and david, how in the heck did you make that image? That's freaking great!

ohiobrewtus said:
Holy crap salad!!!... that's a lot of brew!

oh and david, how in the heck did you make that image? That's freaking great!
I found it on the net. It IS great though!!!

Here are a couple of pictures, still working on getting more together. the first is three of the starters that was there, two cakes and one starter from a vial. the second pic is of the results at about 4 am, for some reason a couple had gotten taken home already and there are still a couple of batches going at this point, so a few carboys have sanitizer in them still.

More to come

Cheers

Here is one of the dualing mash tuns on the pimp three tier set-up.

I was on one of the other teams that day (and night and morning). My knees and back have not yet fully recovered. I was only working with one other guy, so we didn'y produce as much beer. I'm happy with 30 gallons, though. Here are the stats:

# of 5 gallon batches: 6 (2 IPA, APA, Lawnmower, Wheat, Whatever Arrogant Bastard is)
Pounds of grain: 65.25
Types of grain: 8 (Am. 2-Row, Crystal 10,40,60,120, Vienna, Munich, Wheat)
Ounces of hops: 21.35
Types of hops: 7 (Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Northern Brewer, Saaz, Hallertauer)
Types of yeast: 1 (all California V)
Total number of man hours: 29 (17 from me, 12 from Brian)
Total number of boilovers: 5 (32qt pots don't leave much room for error!)
Propane tanks cashed: 1
Number of times Brian locked his keys in the car: 1
Most beers brewing at one time: 4 (2 mashing, 1 boiling, 1 boiling/cooling)

It's nice to have 6 fermenting carboys in my closet. Before Saturday I was down to 8 cases of bottles and 2 full kegs, so my supply was running low.

The only problem with that many carboys is that the vigorous fermentation filled the closet with CO2. The first time I walked in I lost my breath.

robnog said:
The only problem with that many carboys is that the vigorous fermentation filled the closet with CO2. The first time I walked in I lost my breath.

I hadn't thought about that.......mental note.....open closet door when you get home!

Just think if you had 100 empty carboys, you could have had 100 batches of edworts Apfelwein in as little time as it takes to pour juice! lol J/K Would LOVE to do something like that around here! Thanks for the great idea!

Latest posts

Back