24 hour carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, I made a second batch of sweet wheat stout and bottled it yesterday

the FG is SUPPOSED to be 1.016. both my gravity reads after 2 weeks and 3 days later were both at 1.020... meaning it had apparently stopped. I primed with 3.5 ounces of sugar since it's a stout and set them aside. this morning (about 20 hours later) I shook a couple of the bottles to see if they were starting to carb and the C02 bubbles actually bubble up MORE than the ones I've had conditioning for a month!!!! I'm going to crack one open this evening after it chills in the fridge for most of the day but if it's fully carbed I can only assume it must STILL be fermenting (though both gravity readings were stable) ... can I just toss the batch in the fridge and chill to keep the yeast from fermenting more in that case?

I would not expect it to be very good(it may though)24 hours usually is not near enough time to carb and condition. Both readings were the same I would leave them alone for a couple weeks at least.

Be careful for bottle bombs if you FG was not reached there is still enough yeast and food in there to have fun :)

I would have left it in the fermenter another 2 weeks for a 4 total, it's not because you think your FG is reached that the beer is done flavoring and ageing :)

Cheers dude !

^ Ditto that. Sounds like an incomplete fermentation. Be sure to bottle condition the beers in an area that's easily cleaned up in case of bottle bombage.

.016 to .020 is not a huge difference, certainly not enough to make me worry about a bottle bomb. As suggested above, I would let them sit at normal temp for the normal time and not over think it.

You might also think about putting your cases of bottles in garbage bags to reduce clean up, if you suspect you may have extra carbonation causing one to pop.

I usually only do 2 weeks in the fermenter for this sucker since it's made with wheat Malt Extract and aging really doesn't do much for this one (2 months of aging did almost NO taste difference from when I did my first batch).

as for carbing, I think I may have just had some residual c02 in the beer when I bottled because after cracking one it's as flat as can be (and when I shake the bottle about 50% MORE bubbles float up to the neck than the batch that I have been aging and is fully carbed). aw well. seems like a weird case of trapped C02... I have them in cardboard boxes to limit the spillage if something bad happens, but I think I'm in the clear, now just to wait lol

oh, and hot dang this sucker is good. Even green and bottled one day it's taste like a million bucks

I was going to say, before you waste the time opening it.. It's not going to be carbed at all. Shaking your bottles doesn't nothing to signify that it's carbed.

I can take a bottle of liquor and shake it in the bottle and see bubbles.. Doesn't mean it's carbed, which it's not.

Back