23 Tip Jet Burner problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you got me wondering if that's what the problem is. I'm using a gas range supply line typically for inside use. I had a new one lying around the house. Although I don't know the exact size, it's bigger than 1/4" - more like 1/2" I would guess (I'm at work).

Would you recommend something else?

OK
since I started this post, and I finally have time to report findings, I thought it nice if I did so.

Problem: 23 TIP jet style burner would not stay lit.
Set up: Brutus 10 frame with integrated gas beam.12 of the tips removed from each of the 3 burners.

Solutions: There was no solution actualy. The gas valve that I had if turned on more than a hair, would blow out the flame. In other words, the gas coming out would blow out the flame if turned on too high.
Both the electronically controlled burners light just fine with the pilot.

Brewing with the stand: Is actually quite nice, the burners are quiet, efficiency with LP, is about a 1/3 tank for a brew session.
The burn is nice and clean, and soot free.
I do not use a variable pressure regulator, just a standard .5 PSI, LP regulator.

If I am missing anything, or you have some questions, just let me know.
hope this helps.
Josh

Sherpa,

So you're currently running with 12 tips removed from each burner? It sounds like you're using an adjustable gas valve, where as I'm not. So I'm hoping that the adjustable regulator will do the trick for me.

Sherpa,

So you're currently running with 12 tips removed from each burner? It sounds like you're using an adjustable gas valve, where as I'm not. So I'm hoping that the adjustable regulator will do the trick for me.

If you are talking about an adjustable gas regulator (at the tank) then no, I am not. If by a adjustable gas valve, you mean a manual gas valve, then yes, however I only leave it cracked open.

My connections go like this...
Propane tank - LP gas regulator (fixed .5 psi) - gas beam on the stand - honeywell gas valves - gas shut off valve - burner.

I hope that clears it up.
Josh

If you are talking about an adjustable gas regulator (at the tank) then no, I am not. If by a adjustable gas valve, you mean a manual gas valve, then yes, however I only leave it cracked open.

My connections go like this...
Propane tank - LP gas regulator (fixed .5 psi) - gas beam on the stand - honeywell gas valves - gas shut off valve - burner.

I hope that clears it up.
Josh

I would not reccommend using the adjustable regulator in your setup as it may cause your Honeywell valve to fail ( per other replys ), I think all you can do is block up the jets, to regulate and hope for the best. maybe too much psi .....

In this case I really have to sit on Bobby's side. I just hooked up over the weekend the 23 tip and 10 tip (propane) burner that I purchased from shoppers choice and not only did I melt my sight glass with the 23 tip burner I feel it is a waste of time and dangerous.

IMHO guys, go with the shoppers choice 10 tip "mini" the little amount of time you might save heating is not worth the extra sight glass and carbon clean off time....

MMMMMMMMM Beer

Can anyone tell me what size bolts I need to plug some holes on the jet burners? Thanks!

edit: Nevermind, found it.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but cracking open the manual gas valve goes not affect the pressure in the line to the regulator. Once you open the manual valve, the gas line is going to fill until the pressure in the line is equal to the bottle. The regulator then steps down the pressure to the desired setting (.5 psi in this case). You might as well go ahead an open up the manual valve to allow unrestricted flow to the regulator. The cracked open valve is the same concept as a submarine that has gone below its crush depth. A small hole in the structure will allow water in at such an explosive rate that all hands are lost instantly as the internal pressure equalizes with the external pressure.

I swear I'm not being a wiseass and being 100% sincere... I don't understand how I'm able to use my 32 tips without the problems everyone is having. It sounds like just about everyone has the exact same issues in that these burners 1) put out WAY too much heat and 2) pump out nothing but soot.

I've chimed in before on this thread and said it... I have my 32s tips dialed way down through two honeywell valves (I'm on nat gas), don't have any jets blocked, and I DO get some soot on the very bottom of my pots but other than a little bit on the very bottom... I don't get any up the sides nor am I pumping out soot like it sounds everyone else is struggling with.

Again... being 100% sincere... I don't understand what I'm doing that I am able to get these things to work.... and I love mine. It seems like I'm in the tiny minority (Mrbowenz... I think you said you got yours to work ok as well)

I swear I'm not being a wiseass and being 100% sincere... I don't understand how I'm able to use my 32 tips without the problems everyone is having. It sounds like just about everyone has the exact same issues in that these burners 1) put out WAY too much heat and 2) pump out nothing but soot.

I've chimed in before on this thread and said it... I have my 32s tips dialed way down through two honeywell valves (I'm on nat gas), don't have any jets blocked, and I DO get some soot on the very bottom of my pots but other than a little bit on the very bottom... I don't get any up the sides nor am I pumping out soot like it sounds everyone else is struggling with.

Again... being 100% sincere... I don't understand what I'm doing that I am able to get these things to work.... and I love mine. It seems like I'm in the tiny minority (Mrbowenz... I think you said you got yours to work ok as well)

I have given up on the subject, I simply just make beer now and let others bicker, I no longer give advice about equipment on the internets. Glad your 32 tips work well , mine do too. ( this happens to be post 666 for me ...hah !

Oh absolutely... I have zero interest in any kind of debate on it or trying to 'convince' people at all... That's why I tried to qualify my comments like I did and again, I was dead serious, I honestly wish I knew what the secret was so I could simply say, "do THIS" and have it work for folks.

I'm convinced that the size and length of the supply on nat gas is the major variable in everyone's installs. It could also be perception of what "working" means to each user. Do they light on fire and heat things up? Sure so I guess that means they work. I'm not bickering either, if they work for people that's great. I often have several tips blow out randomly and sometimes one odd tip will shoot a lone orange flame out. Sometimes the whole burner goes orange even though it was running blue for 30 minutes. It's just too damn quirky for my taste. I'm going electric.

I've been reading quite a few of these threads where there's problems with using honeywells with jet burners, or jet burners just not getting enough gas.

I'd like to know why no one has ever brought this idea up: use a high pressure regulator connected to your gas main on the brewing system and keep it wide open. Put this regulator http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=357&id=94 right before each one of the burners' honewell valves. That should allow the flow in to your honeywell to be 0.5psi, and also allow you to get 200K out of each burner, all at the same time. I think that CladiusB might do this.

I guess it really doesn't matter if you don't want all that heat. It wouldn't be any more adjustable, but it would allow you to get some crazy heat and still use the honeywell valves.

Help please,

I have the 32 Tip NG burner, it has a 3/4 input on it. I have the oppurtunity to run 3/4, I currently run 1/2 and it is burning to hot the flames go up the sides of my 250L(66 gal) pot.

My question is if I run the 3/4 NG line will this solve the problem, I want a nice blue flame. Or is it a regulator or what, any advice will help.
Thanks!!!

Do you have a ball valve on the gas line to throttle it back a bit?

Yes, I have a 1/2 valve at the pipe, it is about 8 feel from the burner, I am going to move a valve next to the burner itself, but this one was already existing. As of now it goes, 1inch-1/2inch-valve- 3/4 60 inch pipe- 3/4 burner,

Do you think I am getting to much gas, I had it set up with 3/8 and it wasn't blue enough. Now it is just too blazing, goes up the sides of the pot. My question is still is upping the whole line to 3/4 overkill or will that help balance the size/quality of the flame?

Ok,

So I piped it 3/4 all the way. it kicks ass, I added a gate valve at the burner to take it back some, this is the best it gets with the right stand, my CO meter stayed at O. So I am juiced, again this is with a 32 jet un modified burner, just took 25 gallons to boil in less then 30 min. BOO YAH!!!!!! Thanks!!

Thank you !,I was just about to unsubcribe to this thread :p

Think about the flow of gas here, if you can push gas at a variable rate (within the limits of your valves, and zero to 60 or zero to 30 psi ain't alot) you can idle any pressure you want, and I have (like Lonnie and others)a safety shutoff valve on the primary side of the pilot and the valve. To set this up correctly, idle those valves first, then regulate from the source. I can run my 18 tip Jet/wok burners from BIC lighter height to full out F18 Hornet jets safely, with just the right amount of BTU's, it also fixes the yellow flame issues so many people complain about, because they are not 02 starved. The Honeywell issue is simply another fine adjustment place in which you can adjust. I use STC valves, but this will work with all the valves most people use.

Can you show me how you successfully hooked up the 23 or 32 tip Jet burners from CHINA up to a gas source? I found where to purchase it but am confused as there's no accessories like tubings or regulators that come with it. It just says 1/2" or 3/4" pipe threaded openeing. I'm guessing you can attach it from LP propane with regulator and adjust PSI and then plug it straight to the threaded pipe opening? please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks

Ok,

So I piped it 3/4 all the way. it kicks ass, I added a gate valve at the burner to take it back some, this is the best it gets with the right stand, my CO meter stayed at O. So I am juiced, again this is with a 32 jet un modified burner, just took 25 gallons to boil in less then 30 min. BOO YAH!!!!!! Thanks!!

Can you show me how you successfully hooked up the 23 or 32 tip Jet burners from CHINA up to a gas source? I found where to purchase it but am confused as there's no accessories like tubings or regulators that come with it. It just says 1/2" or 3/4" pipe threaded openeing. I'm guessing you can attach it from LP propane with regulator and adjust PSI and then plug it straight to the threaded pipe opening? please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks

You are correct, tank> variable PSI regulator>pipe>burner ring, flame!:)

Can anyone tell me what the correct mounting height is for these 23 jet wok burners are? basically, what is the distance from the bottom of my keg to the top of the jets suppose to be?

Help!!!...please.

I have a 2 burner set-up, each burner is a 32 Jet LPG burner, and yes am having a few issues.

I have done my research. Each L74 jet on the burner is rated to 5000btus and requires a pressure of 37mb to burn efficiently. That means the L74 32 jet propane burner will produce 160,000 btus at 37mb propane pressure.

160,000 btus of propane is equal to 3.36kgs (7.4lbs) of propane per hour which equates to 1.8 cubic meters (66.5cft) of flow.

I bought the wrong solenoid control valve (Honeywell V8600C 1020) which is rated to output 4 cubic meters per hour, but at a reduced 20mb of pressure. The max input pressure being 60mb.

Can anyone help, and suggest a control valve that is able to safely deliver 37mb at over 2 cubic meters per hour, for use with propane that is 24vac powered.

I would be very grateful.

I have given up on the subject, I simply just make beer now and let others bicker, I no longer give advice about equipment on the internets. Glad your 32 tips work well , mine do too. ( this happens to be post 666 for me ...hah !

I have no problems with my 32 tip burner.

Hey guys, good discussion on figuring out these jet burners. My question, I am running natural gas to my jet burners, that are NG jet burners (large opening nozzles for the low pressure). Has anyone had any luck using a regulator on such low pressure that comes from NG? I hooked one burner up to test last night. Ran a 25' hose, 1/2" NPT, from the outlet inside the house (which is in the laundry, just inside the door from the garage). Kept a nice steady (very hot, and loud) flame at close to full open on the ball valve I was using to regulate flow, but when I throttled it back it got to a yellow tipped and an all yellow flame pretty easily. I'm wondering if using a low pressure regulator for NG would help? I know there are differences between flow rate and pressure. The ball valve seems like it's only adjusting flow, at the same pressure. I'm thinking the regulator might adjust pressure, that I could then tweak in conjunction with the ball valve (for flow rate) to get a nice blue flame either full bore, or nice and low. I'm looking to use one of these burners for my direct fired mash setup so I need it to run nice and low, but not put out a bunch of CO and soot from running yellow when I throttle it back.

I've also read that the jet burners are designed to run pretty wide open, and that the nozzles have the O2 intake sized appropriately. If they don't have enough flow the venturi effect doesn't happen and you get a poor (yellow) O2 starved burn.

I run two 32s with NG plumbed directly to my house. I go shut off valve (either wide open and completely closed), through flex hose with a gas quick-connect, to two Honeywell valves directly to the burners and can throttle down the Honeywell valves themselves to give me a nice two... Three.... Four.. Or 36 inch blue flame if I want to.

I have never plugged any of my jets or modified the burner in any way.

I will try to get the exact model number off the valves because this comes up all the time.

Are the Honeywell valves the ones that are wired into a control panel and stop flow if the pilot burns out, and can be electronically controlled? Or do you mean they are simply a regulator?

Yes, the are wired into a control panel, are electronically controlled and shut down when the pilot blows out.

Would they be the Honeywell VR8200A valves? These are 24V, but are the combination pilot and gas control for NG. Was yours 24V, and did you get a transformer to get to 120VAC?

Sooooo I know this post is 6 years old but.. I actually work for the local gas company in my area. With that being said most furnaces, water heaters and ranges have an appliance regulator that bumps the pressure down from 7" working pressure to 3.5". I was thinking about running a line out to my garage and not using a regulator with the turn valve full open at 7 inches of pressure to heat my wort quickly with a giant flame. Did this work for anyone "beer" or did you have to install a regulator to calm things down a bit ? I watched some videos and the flame looks huge its awesome haha

Last edited:
Sooooo I know this post is 6 years old but.. I actually work for the local gas company in my area. With that being said most furnaces, water heaters and ranges have an appliance regulator that bumps the pressure down from 7" working pressure to 3.5". I was thinking about running a line out to my garage and not using a regulator with the turn valve full open at 7 inches of pressure to heat my wort quickly with a giant flame. Did this work for anyone "beer" or did you have to install a regulator to calm things down a bit ? I watched some videos and the flame looks huge its awesome haha
I'd image or actually know it would cause CO issues but I always brew with my garage door open. I just love all the bugs that fly into my wort and whatnot extra protein just kidding about the bugs kinda

Back