2016 Sam Adams LongShot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Well, it's that time of year again. Who's thinking of entering, and what's your plan of attack? Submitting a favorite recipe? Trying something new? I'd love to heat the wheels turning on this one!

I have not entered before, but I'm thinking about it. I don't have anything ready to go, but I can get something whipped up if my order will ever come in at the LHBS.

I know some people in here have entered this before, and that it's a well discussed topic already. Still, experience and insight are always welcome!

EDIT:
Article: http://www.samueladams.com/longshot

SWMBO is pushing me to enter, I am considering.
I would submit my warrior/citra IPA.
However I am on the fence because it would cost me 4 bottles (10 total, if I make it I the semi finals)
I am not sure if giving up those beers out weighs my drinking them!

Right? That plus shipping is what's stopped me in the past. On the other hand, that's the most you have to lose. The possible upside is $5,000, a nationally distributed recipe, and some small amount of fame. You do also get score sheets back, which let's you see how you measured up in a huge competition.

Still, the odds of that kind of victory are really slim, even with a great beer.

^^^ That's what I say...I am going to go for it...will be my first competition - I brew what I like - not to a style nor to impress any "judge" -but for $5k?
I'm in. Got a "special" recipe too...:D

I figure the IPA group will be less crowded.../sarc

Looking at some past winners, it seems like they commonly have at least a little novelty. I make an excellent, tried and true Dusseldorf Altbier. But there's nothing novel about that. On the other hand, I'm planning to make a toasted oat APA. I have no idea how it would turn out, but it certainly has some novelty.

It's all moot anyway if the LHBS doesn't get my order... And I don't have the ingredients for the altbier on order anyway. So I can either scrap my plans and go for something more assured of being good, or go for it with the oats.

If I can get something brewed this weekend before vacation, I'll be sending in a saison at the last minute. Always forget about it until there is only a month or so until the deadline.

If I can get something brewed this weekend before vacation, I'll be sending in a saison at the last minute. Always forget about it until there is only a month or so until the deadline.

Hasn't been a Saison winner since 2009. I've got one in primary now. Hmmmmmm??? Thinking..............

Now there's some strategy! I should go back and list all the past winners and post them at the top. Or if someone else posts it, I'll make the edit.

I entered last year with the idea that it is a free evaluation(I have a local drop off). They did provide a detailed score sheet, so I might do it again for that reason.

I wonder if you were trying to win, would it make sense to not enter beers that are already close to the sam adams line up.

Because they want you to set aside beers from the same batch that was originally entered also seems like you would want to shy away from beers that are best fresh.

I entered last year, solely for the experience and the feedback. I entered the same beers in a couple of other competitions judged within a few weeks of the Longshot judging. IMHO, the judging of the Longshot was quite a bit harsher but the feedback was exceptional, very detailed. I did get an honorable mention for my Vienna Lager.

I've already entered my three for this year.

I entered last year, solely for the experience and the feedback. I entered the same beers in a couple of other competitions judged within a few weeks of the Longshot judging. IMHO, the judging of the Longshot was quite a bit harsher but the feedback was exceptional, very detailed. I did get an honorable mention for my Vienna Lager.

I've already entered my three for this year.

Awesome! That's good info. What did you enter?

I would have to say that being a local and tasting the winners over the past years, you really want to "Sam Adamize" your recipes. Jim has final say in most decision at the brewery, not sure if this is one of them. But safe and "average" examples of styles tend to win. Not saying they are bad, but purposely nothing overwhelming in terms of strong flavors, characteristics, etc. Mild is better, not in a bad way, but if you aim to win...don't submit a jalepeno bourbon-stout...even if it is amazing.

I can certainly understand this. The bock I submitted was at the urging of several of my friends who had lived in Germany for a number of years and insisted that my version was very close to what they had experienced while there. Scored 36 & 38.5 in other competitions, barely rounded up to 30 in the Longshot.

Similar results with the IPA. (40, 38. Longshot 31).

Scores are not totally out of line, but at the lower end of what I would have expected. And again, the feedback was much better than I had received from other comps.

But then, I don't aim to win, that is just a possible side benefit.

I was thinking about a wheat IPA 60-40 wheat-barley grain bill. Is a white IPA a wheat IPA open to interpretation?

I was thinking about a wheat IPA 60-40 wheat-barley grain bill. Is a white IPA a wheat IPA open to interpretation?

I'm not super familiar with the new style guidelines, but 21B, Specialty IPA, has a slot for white IPA. Within that, it looks like there's quite a bit of flexibility.

I think I'm going to make a toasted oat pale ale. 23% oats maybe? I'm not really sure where that would land in the guidelines.

I just tried a sixer of last year's winners, and am totally impressed. Since I'm moving across country and won't be able to brew something to submit, I thought I'd throw this out there... I noticed there hasn't been a saison winner in quite a few years. I think a fruited saison (think cucumber saison, etc.) would do well since Sam Adams likes brewing that type of thing.

Maybe your package arrived a day late? I imagine there's a way you could contact them to see what happened.

It arrived on time. It says they received it on the website but nothing else. I kind of forgot about it since I got a gold medal with that same beer at NHC last year.

It arrived on time. It says they received it on the website but nothing else. I kind of forgot about it since I got a gold medal with that same beer at NHC last year.

Oh, you're obviously really suffering! Congrats on the win.

Back