2016 Hop Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are cute itty bitty baby hop cones. :mug:

I laughed my ass off at this!! Lol I have a 2yr old and whenever she finds something smaller than normal (small blueberry/ normal blueberry) she holds it up and says " ooooh it's a itty bitty baby one" lol

Seeing how the Summer Sulstice is right around the corner, do I have time to add more "grow" nutes?
I'm using a 3-3-3 Sea Tea. Recently my plants have had some explosive growth and I'm starting to see the beginning of side arms. Should I add one more dose of "grow" or switch to "bloom"?

Seeing how the Summer Sulstice is right around the corner, do I have time to add more "grow" nutes?
I'm using a 3-3-3 Sea Tea. Recently my plants have had some explosive growth and I'm starting to see the beginning of side arms. Should I add one more dose of "grow" or switch to "bloom"?

Once you start seeing complete sidearms, your N uptake is nearly complete as they are approaching full biomass. In the link, page 10 is a good Nitrogen guide. The dates/days are the x axis, and the uptake is the y axis. It levels out and flatlines after solstice time. Go with a high P and high K fertilizer for a bloom boost.

https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw513/

Granted, those are charts for entire hop yards, but if you scale down to your hobby yard, you can assume something similar.

I'm fascinated and giddy with this thread. I went a bit crazy this year as I have 2 rows of 11 plants each of cascade and centennial (pictured) and 19 potted plants of more cascade/centennial plus some nugget, and another 5 nuggets in a raised bed. Trellis is made of 4, 21' Ash saplings cabled with 3/16 wire and anchored with 30" ground anchors. For the potted plants I just secured 8' redwood stakes and strung them with sisal twine. The rows are 35' in length and spaced 10' on center. Most are doing well, despite an avid aphid battle. I have even had some minor early success propagating from my 2nd year plants. Cant wait to drink the fruits of my labor. Cheers.

146603235193274101098.jpg

Looks like sun spots. Any chance you irrigated when the sun was shining? Never spray water on plant leaves during the day. The droplets act like magnifying lenses and burn holes in the leaves.

(Of course, if it is powdery in any way, then it's not sun spots.)

After thinking about this for a bit, I think it's because it rained and then the sun came out. At least it makes me feel better about that now lol

Came home from work today to find one of my plants has almost made it to the upstairs windows!

13445648_1127172344006697_4869313476188996761_n.jpg

13450786_1127172367340028_6598853941977872730_n.jpg

13432144_1127172384006693_5077950915253861931_n.jpg

Now that it finally stopped raining, all three are going nuts.
Cascade keeps adding burrs, I can see the main harvest on its way
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466225233.058205.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466225247.372905.jpg
Neo1 almost to top of trellis
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466225262.324192.jpg

Multihead just wants to be a bush, apparently, but is growing quickly
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466225445.393026.jpg

All first year plants, hoping to get cones on the neos this yr but we'll see

All plants are doing good. Still have one cascade that don't look like it will top 4ft this year. It's been this height for almost 4weeks now and it just wants to put on side arms and bush out. I tried trimming all the side arms off with hope of it growing upward again but it laughed in my face and put on twice as many side arms! I give up! Lol
Just hit them with their first dose of Alaska MorBloom 0-10-10 this morning. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466254268.709020.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466254279.648347.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466254296.172811.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466254311.687878.jpg

Need some help here. My plants aren't in a real sunny location but they're growing pretty well for 1st year rhizomes I guess. The cascade has many leaves that look like the below. I've seen very light spider webs on them but the leaf cupping seems from what I've read to indicate downy mildew.

Any ideas on what this is and how I should treat it? (the small bubbles visible on 1st and 2nd photo are from a soapy water solution I just sprayed on it in an attempt to treat it for spider mites, which I think are what the really fine spider webbing is from)

File_000 (1).jpg

File_000 (2).jpg

File_005.jpg

Last edited:
I was just trimming around the bed and I accidentally cut not just one but two of my cascade bines. I'm devastated......

Need some help here. My plants aren't in a real sunny location but they're growing pretty well for 1st year rhizomes I guess. The cascade has many leaves that look like the below. I've seen very light spider webs on them but the leaf cupping seems from what I've read to indicate downy mildew.

Any ideas on what this is and how I should treat it? (the small bubbles visible on 1st and 2nd photo are from a soapy water solution I just sprayed on it in an attempt to treat it for spider mites, which I think are what the really fine spider webbing is from)

Could be herbicide drift, which would cup the leaves. Hops are very susceptible to glyphosate. If that is what it is, it will recover in a couple weeks.

I pulled a small green Caterpillar out of one of my cones this weekend. It had made a leaf stick to the cone with it's cocoon and when I pealed the leaf back the little bugger was wiggling all over at me. Needless to say he took a flight.

I pulled a small green Caterpillar out of one of my cones this weekend. It had made a leaf stick to the cone with it's cocoon and when I pealed the leaf back the little bugger was wiggling all over at me. Needless to say he took a flight.

I found the exact same thing you are talking about this weekend too! Only one cone on the plant had this happening and the same tiny wiggling worm came out when I squeezed the cone.
Anyone know what this little guy could've been?

I need some help.

I will first admit: I know nothing about chemistry or biology or anything science related. In HS my mind was on the girls - not the other organisms.

That said, I have an issue with beetles and wasps eating my fencing and trellis where my hops are growing. I had a professional out today and he recommended Timbor (http://nisuscorp.com/architects/products/tim-bor-professional).

According to their website, it is half as toxic as table salt. According to various websites, some people add Borate (what Timbor is) to their hops for food.

So, if I spray this on the wood around my hops, AND POSSIBLY ONTO MY HOPS WHERE THEY ARE CLINGING TO THE TRELLIS, will my hops be okay???

Hoping there is someone out there who paid attention to their science classes.

Looking for some direction. My hops have a blochey, spotted appearance and some have developed holes. I thought it might have been an insect so i treated with neem oil. I have not seen any bugs on them except box elder bugs were on the fence nearby but i dont think they eat hops. I am now thinking that they were over watered as my soil is not the best draining and i did not realize until somewhat recently that the soil was very moist and not drying out between watering. Any insight is appreciated as i am just guessing.

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307 (1).jpg

Looking for some direction. My hops have a blochey, spotted appearance and some have developed holes. I thought it might have been an insect so i treated with neem oil. I have not seen any bugs on them except box elder bugs were on the fence nearby but i dont think they eat hops. I am now thinking that they were over watered as my soil is not the best draining and i did not realize until somewhat recently that the soil was very moist and not drying out between watering. Any insight is appreciated as i am just guessing.

Can we get a picture of the underside of a leaf or two?

HarborTown,
You are opening a whole can of caterpillers with the use of Timbor on actively growing hop plants. Low relative mammalian toxicity, yes. Labelled for use around plants, no. Effective as a wood preservative, yes. The same active ingredient used as a "common" micro-nutrient fertilizer, no, not really. Boron an important element in plant growth, yes. Very narrow (parts per million) range between boron benefits and boron toxicity to the plant, YES. If you must treat the wood, I'd suggest waiting until this fall, when the hops go dormant. In the meantime, I'd get a soil test to determine your soil nutrient levels and then contact the local county Ag. extension agency to get their recommendations on wood treatments and soil/plant toxicity in your area. Just like pH in mashing, soil pH plays a critical role in plant health.

HarborTown,
You are opening a whole can of caterpillers with the use of Timbor on actively growing hop plants. Low relative mammalian toxicity, yes. Labelled for use around plants, no. Effective as a wood preservative, yes. The same active ingredient used as a "common" micro-nutrient fertilizer, no, not really. Boron an important element in plant growth, yes. Very narrow (parts per million) range between boron benefits and boron toxicity to the plant, YES. If you must treat the wood, I'd suggest waiting until this fall, when the hops go dormant. In the meantime, I'd get a soil test to determine your soil nutrient levels and then contact the local county Ag. extension agency to get their recommendations on wood treatments and soil/plant toxicity in your area. Just like pH in mashing, soil pH plays a critical role in plant health.

Well crap. I was hoping you'd just say, "yeah it's fine for the hops, go crazy with it!"

Seriously though, thanks for all the info!

Can we get a picture of the underside of a leaf or two?

I can. I will take a couple at lunch. Also a few of the newer leaves are curling. I do not know if that helps. I will take pictures as well. Thanks for the help!

Is it ok to double-train a string? I have a chinook hop where the top got broken off, so its made big side-arms. Should I run a second/third string for both side arms or is it ok to let them double-train up the same string?

Looks like maybe an Iron Deficiency search "epsom salt and molasses" the magnesium will help in the absorbsion of Iron

Is it ok to double-train a string? I have a chinook hop where the top got broken off, so its made big side-arms. Should I run a second/third string for both side arms or is it ok to let them double-train up the same string?

Trying to look on my phone for a pic of the sidearms, but not finding one.

I have one main bine for this Chinook plant, the top of the bine broke off when I replanted it from the pot. At the point where the bine broke off it has gotten two sidearms (about 3" each). Can I double-train them on one string or should I make a string for each one?

When I get a chance after work, I'll get a pic up.

Trying to look on my phone for a pic of the sidearms, but not finding one.

I have one main bine for this Chinook plant, the top of the bine broke off when I replanted it from the pot. At the point where the bine broke off it has gotten two sidearms (about 3" each). Can I double-train them on one string or should I make a string for each one?

When I get a chance after work, I'll get a pic up.

You can double train or just cut one off and let the remaining one become the new apical meristeam. My personal preference is cutting one and letting the plant send more energy to the remaining.

My opps moment of trimming some side arms did not slow the Cascade down. My First year Centennial is doing fine, ended up planting it in May so it is just now 6" tall (no pic needed).

20160621_164325.jpg

20160621_164310.jpg

A few recent-ish pictures of my first year Cascade and first year Chinooks (3). Meant to take these and upload them sooner, but its taken me a while. I should keep up on it more in my logging.

20160618_161108.jpg

20160618_161037.jpg

20160618_100959.jpg

20160610_155952.jpg

20160618_100859.jpg

Things are going good! I started watering with Alaska MorBloom 0-10-10 last week and after just 2 doses all 3 plants have put on burrs! So exciting. Even the one cascade that didn't put on any height has some burrs forming.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466729887.945693.jpg
Cascade
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466729905.551746.jpg
Centennial
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466729933.273058.jpg
And small cascade
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466729954.360161.jpg

Multihead continues to bush out. Added a second line to train more of the sidearms that are just forming a tangle on the ground
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466778734.163855.jpg

Neo1 could not be more different. She's a delicate lady with little ground-level scruff, very focused on heading upwards
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466778926.717872.jpg

The bine you see behind the trellis is cascade. Which just gave me .5oz more dried cones yesterday!!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466778983.438691.jpg
New burrs keep popping up. Harvesting the parts on the trellis is kindof a PITA already, hopefully will get easier as more are along the line
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466779055.927005.jpg

So, first year growing hops and they are going crazy. Like these things are nuts. Anyways, on my centennial, I have what look to be full size hops along with gillions of little hairy bud starts. I had assumed that there would be one big harvest, but by the looks of my plants, there will be multiple small harvests as the different buds mature?

Latest posts

Back