2015 Minnesota Mashout Opens Tomorrow! (Formerly Upper Mississippi Mashout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came in the mail today. I got a 33 on my lone entry, an RIS. I now have good critique to help me dial it in next time I brew it. The comments pointed out that hop aroma was muted and there was some astringency. I need to work on water chemistry.

But I'm pleased overall.

I had similar comments on a couple of my non-winning brews. Minneapolis water profile is really nice soft and thus light but not overly hoppy beers do well with it. I'm finding my darker beers and my ipa are missing that "pop" character that you'll find with mineral additions and thus I've started getting into water chemistry which I think will resolve my issues.

Got mine today too. Got a score sheet from Gordon Strong.... that is always kind of cool when it happens. Too bad it was the crappiest beer I sent...... an IPA that was getting past its prime and somewhat harsh :eek:

Mine came in the mail today. I got a 33 on my lone entry, an RIS. I now have good critique to help me dial it in next time I brew it.

You beat my RIS (29). No flaws apparently but too one dimensional. It was also old, I brewed it in September so I think that's one reason both judges gave me 7/12 on aroma. Needs more raisin/fruit too.

Got 2nd in English IPA. I'll call that a success.

Mind if I ask what your scores were and what your Red Coat IPA is like? What yeast did you use?

I got 37 & 39 "adjusted" to 44 for the 1st place ESB. Oddly none of my friends and family really went for this one, preferring the 29 scoring RIS instead. Clearly none of them are BJCP :)

I haven't received my score sheet yet, I'll post the score as soon as I get it. It is a really good drinking beer in my opinion. Everyone that tried it loved it. It has a nice malt presence with a good hop aroma, flavor and bitterness. Starts with the hop flavor and bitterness then finishes clean and malty. Bitterness doesn't linger and isn't astringent at all. Transitions to a slight caramel sweetness. I used Wyeast 1318 London Ale 3. I've only got 3 left and they are for the Bluebonnet Brewoff. I've got to brew another batch soon. Many requests.

View attachment 1422541920195.jpg

Are you Minneapolis folks part of any local clubs? I'm curious.

I'm not in any. Would be cool to brew with some other people though.

The event filled up before I got off my butt and tried to register...There is always next year

Congrats to those that placed!

I'm part of the Minnesota Home Brewers Association.

Nordeast Brewer's Alliance.

Mine came in the mail today.

Mine came too. I was surprised they came so fast. 36.5 on my Dark Mild, 35 on my Pale, and a 22.66 on my Brown :(. The brown was one of my most well received beers, but apparently not enough to style.

After this comp I've noticed some recurring themes with my entires in other comps this year. I often get knocked for a slight astringency. I can't imagine it's from my sparge or bottling methods. Maybe I need to start working on my water chemistry too. In terms of water chemistry, what causes astringency?

Most likely. Ive never entered in a competition before. I am just curious what other people who "know" things think of it.
23.gif
36.gif

Nordeast Brewer's Alliance.

Mine came too. I was surprised they came so fast. 36.5 on my Dark Mild, 35 on my Pale, and a 22.66 on my Brown :(. The brown was one of my most well received beers, but apparently not enough to style.

After this comp I've noticed some recurring themes with my entires in other comps this year. I often get knocked for a slight astringency. I can't imagine it's from my sparge or bottling methods. Maybe I need to start working on my water chemistry too. In terms of water chemistry, what causes astringency?

Your mash ph. Do you batch sparge or fly sparge? If your runoff ph exceeds 6 during the lautering than you extracting tannins which can cause astringencies. Also having a high mash PH (i.e. not within 5.2-5.5) will also cause astringency in the final product.

I've found this site to be incredibly helpful https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

as well as this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/minneapolis-water-profile-469645/

Most likely. Ive never entered in a competition before. I am just curious what other people who "know" things think of it.
23.gif
36.gif

Whaa?? Not sure if your making a statement or asking a question? :drunk:

Your mash ph. Do you batch sparge or fly sparge? If your runoff ph exceeds 6 during the lautering than you extracting tannins which can cause astringencies. Also having a high mash PH (i.e. not within 5.2-5.5) will also cause astringency in the final product.

I've found this site to be incredibly helpful https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

as well as this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/minneapolis-water-profile-469645/

Thanks.

I batch sparge and don't do anything to the water I use. I believe MLPS water is higher than 6. I assume that my sparge water's Ph doesn't really change much once it enters the tun? I've got the rest of my process in down and am consistent in my efficiency and water volumes. Its probably time to start adjusting water.

I'll look into these sites. I got Palmer's "Water" recently and will be trying to incorporate that info as well.

Mind if I ask what your scores were and what your Red Coat IPA is like? What yeast did you use?

I got 37 & 39 "adjusted" to 44 for the 1st place ESB. Oddly none of my friends and family really went for this one, preferring the 29 scoring RIS instead. Clearly none of them are BJCP :)

My scores were 38 and 35 "adjusted" to 43.

I had similar comments on a couple of my non-winning brews. Minneapolis water profile is really nice soft and thus light but not overly hoppy beers do well with it. I'm finding my darker beers and my ipa are missing that "pop" character that you'll find with mineral additions and thus I've started getting into water chemistry which I think will resolve my issues.

I'm in the north 'burbs, and our water has a lot of iron, so I avoid it like the plague. I built up from RO when I brewed the RIS last summer, but I didn't get the salts right (water's still a learning thing for me). But sounds like we both got dinged for the hops not popping like they should.

You beat my RIS (29). No flaws apparently but too one dimensional. It was also old, I brewed it in September so I think that's one reason both judges gave me 7/12 on aroma. Needs more raisin/fruit too.

Four months isn't terribly old for an RIS. In fact, it might get better with more aging. I brewed mine last summer and one of the judges suggested I let it age some more.

23.gif
36.gif

Back