2015 hop harvest pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
After harvesting and drying a whopping .8 Oz of first year hops. I was a little dissapointed. But this year my one and only hop plant came back to life in the spring. Grew great throughout the season and has produced much better. Now that they are all harvested and dried I've got 14 Oz of amazing smelling cascade waiting for my next brew day.
Here are a few pics on my haul. Would love to see some pics of your harvest.

View attachment 1441051284258.jpg

View attachment 1441051308093.jpg

View attachment 1441051326988.jpg

View attachment 1441051344719.jpg

View attachment 1441051358498.jpg

View attachment 1441051371218.jpg

View attachment 1441051382188.jpg

Well, we planted 3 variety (Cascade, Columbus & Willamette) this year and sadly only had a harvest from the Columbus. We lucked out I guess though for it being the first year since 5 out of 6 rhizomes popped up and the we had nearly 1.5 lbs of product (wet) from the Columbus.

Here is a brief album of the growing we had throughout the year.

This is probably my favorite picture that I took throughout the year. It is from a week ago or so prior to picking.

el241Hp.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441133182.569756.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441133202.054790.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441133214.488236.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441133250.527094.jpg

Here are some pics of my hops from this year. These are chinook. Also, how these were utilized right off the bine!!!

Where are you located sublime? Chinook go crazy here in Ohio, centennial do so-so, and my willamette hasn't produced at all. Been trying 3 years in the willamette, getting rid of it next year...

I have multiple friends close to me and they all have the same experience with chinook going crazy. I'm sure certain varieties do better in some climates/soil types than others. Good to know which ones work best where.

Well, we planted 3 variety (Cascade, Columbus & Willamette) this year and sadly only had a harvest from the Columbus. We lucked out I guess though for it being the first year since 5 out of 6 rhizomes popped up and the we had nearly 1.5 lbs of product (wet) from the Columbus.

Here is a brief album of the growing we had throughout the year.

This is probably my favorite picture that I took throughout the year. It is from a week ago or so prior to picking.

el241Hp.jpg

Where are you located sublime? I am in Ohio, and chinook grow like crazy here. Centennial do so so, and I have yet to get a cone from my willamette plant that is 3 years old.... Maybe I will look into adding Columbus to my list and get some rhizomes next spring.

Where are you located sublime? Chinook go crazy here in Ohio, centennial do so-so, and my willamette hasn't produced at all. Been trying 3 years in the willamette, getting rid of it next year...

I'm in SE Michigan. I wasn't sure what would grow well here and what wouldn't so I picked up 3 of the strands that we used the most during our first year of brewing. At least I got something worth using which is more than I have heard from most first year harvests.

I'm in SE Michigan. I wasn't sure what would grow well here and what wouldn't so I picked up 3 of the strands that we used the most during our first year of brewing. At least I got something worth using which is more than I have heard from most first year harvests.

Well it looks like you found a winner in Columbus! It looks great

Here are some pics of my hops from this year. These are chinook. Also, how these were utilized right off the bine!!!

I have multiple friends close to me and they all have the same experience with chinook going crazy. I'm sure certain varieties do better in some climates/soil types than others. Good to know which ones work best where.[/QUOTE]

Never used fresh wet hops in a brew. How di it turn out? Any flavour difference compared too dry.

My first year growing hops. My housemate picked up a Mt. Hood plant in the spring, it was already about 4' tall. I hung some twine from the deck, which is 15' up, and grew the vines up that. Unfortunately the deck is on top of a patio so there's no soil there to grow in and I had to use a large pot.

Today I cut the twine and harvested. I got 1 oz before drying, so not sure if it's going to yield enough to make anything with... but a fun experiment. Now I've got some vines laying on the ground. Should I just leave them there? I'm assuming I shouldn't actually cut them off so the roots have more time to store their nutrients for the winter. Will they die before it freezes? We often don't get a freeze until November in my climate.

2015-09-01 20.04.56.jpg

My first year growing hops. My housemate picked up a Mt. Hood plant in the spring, it was already about 4' tall. I hung some twine from the deck, which is 15' up, and grew the vines up that. Unfortunately the deck is on top of a patio so there's no soil there to grow in and I had to use a large pot.

Today I cut the twine and harvested. I got 1 oz before drying, so not sure if it's going to yield enough to make anything with... but a fun experiment. Now I've got some vines laying on the ground. Should I just leave them there? I'm assuming I shouldn't actually cut them off so the roots have more time to store their nutrients for the winter. Will they die before it freezes? We often don't get a freeze until November in my climate.

Can use them to dry hop something. As my first post here says, I only got .8oz dry year one and 14oz year two. So next year you should be better off.

I leave the left over vines laying on the ground then cut back to the dirt before winter. But I'm no expert.

Latest posts

Back