2015 Bourbon County releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blame the new fancy pants bottles for all the infected Bourbon County beers

Joke aside, if there are these fairly random infections it's possible that the problem is somewhere in the bottling line. The Rare DOS 16oz swingtops come to mind, where some were infected and others were perfect. Completely different system of course so could be totally off-base.

Well I just cracked a BCS barleywine and shared with the LT, and while it wasn't a gusher / massively infected, there sure is something going on with it. Totally different beer than the one I really enjoyed just a month or so ago.

The boxes do smell terrible though.

1363897614_SummersEveBox.jpg

Can't find a source on it yet, so maybe it's BS, but just saw a repost in a FB group of the following letter from GI:

BCBCS & BCBBW News:

To our loyal fans,

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

I want you to know that the entire team at Goose Island puts our heart and soul into making Bourbon County, and we understand and appreciate your high expectations for them. It is always our intention to put forth the best beer we can craft. When we don’t meet those expectations we take it personally, and we want to make it right.

It has come to our attention that since bottling the 2015 Bourbon County Coffee and Bourbon County Barleywine, they have developed flavors that are not consistent with our expectation of how these beers should taste. That’s not to say the beer doesn’t taste good, in fact some drinkers may enjoy it very much. However, it doesn’t meet our standards for the taste profile of these beers.

All of our beer goes through a very thorough quality oversight process including sensory and microbiology programs. This by no means is a guarantee of success especially with barrel aged beers. Both of these beers have drifted out of their target character thus leading us to provide refunds for anyone who is unsatisfied with them. Anyone who would like a refund for 2015 Bourbon County Coffee or 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine, please contact us at 1-800-Goose-Me.

In spite of the risks inherent with barrel aging, our quest to grow these beers and our barrel aging program will persevere. I hope you continue to join us in this adventure.

Very Truly,
Jared Jankoski

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

Good god the gasbags at corporate must love this narrative so much. The last thing you lead an apology like this with is

"Hey remember how much of a huge pain in the ass we made it to get this beer? How you decided to forego family time to come get this beer on Thanksgiving night so that you could maybe share it with them later on a special occasion like say a major holiday like Thanksgiving FLIP FER WALEZ! enjoy it very dearly? Welllllll seeeee here's the thing..."

Good god the gasbags at corporate must love this narrative so much. The last thing you lead an apology like this with is

"Hey remember how much of a huge pain in the ass we made it to get this beer? How you decided to forego family time to come get this beer on Thanksgiving night so that you could maybe share it with them later on a special occasion like say a major holiday like Thanksgiving FLIP FER WALEZ! enjoy it very dearly? Welllllll seeeee here's the thing..."

Having met Jared a number of times (first as the tour guide on a hard hat tour back at New Glarus when Moon Man came out) I have a hard time believing that wasn't written by a marketing / PR individual and was digitally signed by Jared.

Back