2015 : Anyone have their hops growing yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So, i went out to the backyard to get my brewing equipment out of the shed and for no reason, checked on my hop pots... Saw this.

0303151634_zpskmardpdu.jpg

cascade is the craziest of all, but all 4 have growth and i was NOT expecting this for another few months at least :( but the funny thing to note, i hadn't watered these guys since probably September of last year

Little paranoid because i have to move in a month... hold on little buggers!

I checked mine this last weekend and all 8 are shooting up. Some are around 6 inches and others are just starting to pop out of the ground. It's the crazy Portland area weather!!

-Dave

A few guys in town put photos on the book of faces. I started mine this year from free rhizomes clipped from a local. I put them 6" deep and I'm starting to see one vine poke through. As is usual with the weather here we have awesome January and February to grow then March brings a week of 20F overnight lows.

We have had a super mild winter. I had about 3 inch shoots coming up but the snow came yesterday and now everything is covered in about 4 inches of snow.

My first rhizome is supposed to be delivered this week! I'm worried that when my mailman leaves the package in my mailbox it'll get too hot, supposed to be in the mid 70s all week. Either that or since no one will be home they'll keep it at the post office until Saturday which is the soonest I can get there to pick it up.

I had some centennial pop up. Cut them back tho. We might be having a warm winter in the PNW but it's still too early.

Yes, hopefully going to actually grow some cones soon. Although with it being their first year and that they are only 4 foot high im not expecting a big harvest.

Noticed my Centennials popping up over the weekend. Added some manure/compost and cut about 10 rhizomes off the crowns. Left the new growth, I figure I'll cut those shoots down when they are a little bigger.

Three of my Cascade (first year) are showing growth. I accidentally snapped one off messing with the dirt around it. Two are in pots and after putting them 6" deep I was t expecting to see anything until next month. Pots have two nines coming up each. Ground HAD 1.

Yeah, my potted hops I brought inside for the winter are 3 feet long already. Started about 3 weeks ago. Chinook is winning so far.

I have 6 inch sprouts the width of my pinky sprouting up here in Oregon as well. Gonna be another huge harvest this year I imagine.

centennial, cascade, and fuggles all popping up. Do you all normally pinch off these first buds? This is my second year and they already look twice as strong. Did I read that you cut out growing rhizomes to avoid hops spreading?

Are you sure that is a hops sprout? Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but the leaves look off and there seem to be thorns. Maybe I just need more coffee...

I cleared the soil off my only second year plant a few weeks back and it had 4-6 good looking sprouts that were still below the surface. I'll have to go check mine tomorrow at MIL house.

Mine are also still under about 3' of snow. But we're finally seeing some warm days up here so I'm hoping I can move on from having a snow-covered yard to a mosquito-infested swamp of a yard pretty soon. :rolleyes:

I'm down to about 18" of snow on my hop beds now. As long as they don't drown due to the soil being saturated from melting so much snow. This year I'll use the corn farmer's mantra "knee high by the 4th of July" and hopefully that's not overly optimistic.

We have (unfortunately) had a mild winter over here in CA. Mine are popping up too. I remember this happened last year and someone told me to put them in the shade. If the sun is hitting the pots the warming effect will cause them to grow;.

I just received my rhizomes in the mail. I placed them in the fridge. It says not to plant until after possibility of frost is past. For where I'm located that is late May. I'm just wondering if they will be fine in the fridge that long or if perhaps I should start them in the house with the rest of my seedlings. They are going to be placed in large pots outside.

Any thoughts?

I just received my rhizomes in the mail. I placed them in the fridge. It says not to plant until after possibility of frost is past. For where I'm located that is late May. I'm just wondering if they will be fine in the fridge that long or if perhaps I should start them in the house with the rest of my seedlings. They are going to be placed in large pots outside.

Any thoughts?

I may be wrong but unless you have frost that is actually freezing the soil down to where the rhizome is it should be fine.

I found some inch long shoots coming off the crowns of some unidentified feral hops here on the property yesterday.
The four different sets of crowns I started last year have not shown much sign of stirring though.

Which serves as a reminder that I was going to go bushwack the area down to ground level and sort out just how many hop crowns there are over there, and to try to arrange some irrigation for them this year.

And put in a couple poles to use to trellis them to keep them off the apple tree they have been choking down... <sigh> more work to the list....

TeeJo

Are you sure that is a hops sprout? Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but the leaves look off and there seem to be thorns. Maybe I just need more coffee...

I'm pretty certain. This is how they looked last year. This particular one is fuggle...

I'm pretty certain. This is how they looked last year. This particular one is fuggle...

Then, I am really confused.

Hops only have one leaf per petiole (the part that attaches the leaves to the stem/bine). Those seem to have 3. Maybe there has been some bug damage that is confusing me, but really, it appears to be a very young raspberry sprout.

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 3.21.43 PM.jpg

Then, I am really confused.

Hops only have one leaf per petiole (the part that attaches the leaves to the stem/bine). Those seem to have 3. Maybe there has been some bug damage that is confusing me, but really, it appears to be a very young raspberry sprout.

I thought raspberry too.

It was a raspberry sprout! I think I've been thinking about hop season so much I fooled myself... There is a raspberry patch directly across from my hops. I guess I'm playing the waiting game like everyone else..

Here's mine. Debating cutting them back for a bit, but they have been surviving the overnight low temps just fine..

IMG_20150310_182821871.jpg

IMG_20150310_182815164.jpg

In CT I've got about 2 feet of standing snow over my hops, maybe I should move to the PNW; wonder if I can convince the wife... doubt it.

Down to the dirt a few days ago (forced) and here is the result. Ya baby...let's go! All 30 plants survived and are sprouting little shoots. One of the new last year Chinooks has a huge root about 1.5" diameter. Amazing how fast these grow.

Cheers

DSCN5050.JPG

I am in San Francisco. Don't expect to ever be able to harvest Hops but I'm growing on the off chance that I might.

This is year #2 for me and here are the Cascade Hops. Looks healthy but very different from last years. Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on here?

Hops.JPG

Back