2015 : Anyone have their hops growing yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3 plants were in pots for 4 years and were very healthy. Just keep the pots cool so you don't cook the roots.

I have a tree with a branch as out 30 feet high that stretches almost over the garden. I am attaching a pulley to the branch and will pull all my twines up with a piece of steel cable. I am thinking of putting a weight in the other end so it can adjust for the wind. (Also some fishing line near the 20 foot point to pull the twine apart a bit.)

Crazy ideas for a few hop plants, my wife thinks I may have crossed some kind of line.

TOM

My wife thinks I spend more time on my hops

My wife thinks I spend more time on my hops

Seconded. She calls them my babies, and I have two children. However, the payoff happens when I tell her how much one oz of pellet hops costs, and how much I would need to make ipas. I've bought $5 worth of hops in one year and made nearly 70 gallons of beer, 55 of which are ipa or highly hopped beers requiring at least 5 oz of hops per 5 gallon batch.

About 6 weeks from rhizome here in Phoenix. I'm a little nervous about what happens when it gets to be 110-115, but for now they are thriving despite a little powdery mildew from the rhizome. They are maxing out my 12' strings I improvised, didn't expect much this first year. I thought this was just "for fun". I just let the bull shoots go wild, already getting sidearms and spurs on the top 1/3.

They are on a narrow side yard on the ENE of the house. Buckets get 2 hours of sun, top half more like 4-5 hours. So far with our hellish sun it's about right.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431385100.095369.jpg

Seconded. She calls them my babies, and I have two children. However, the payoff happens when I tell her how much one oz of pellet hops costs, and how much I would need to make ipas. I've bought $5 worth of hops in one year and made nearly 70 gallons of beer, 55 of which are ipa or highly hopped beers requiring at least 5 oz of hops per 5 gallon batch.

Damn dude your busy

My second year hops are pruned and growing with vigor. Cascade, Santiam, Crystal, Nugget, & Newport. Hope to have a decent harvest this year. :rockin:

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

My second year hops are pruned and growing with vigor. Cascade, Santiam, Crystal, Nugget, & Newport. Hope to have a decent harvest this year. :rockin:

Wow, is that an azalea bush?!?! That is huge. I have 7yr old plants that are not even two foot tall. Just transplanted them to a better area and they seem happy.

Wow, is that an azalea bush?!?! That is huge. I have 7yr old plants that are not even two foot tall. Just transplanted them to a better area and they seem happy.

Yes, the azalea's have been very happy this year!

I cut the first shoots on the hops about 4 weeks ago and they have been growing like crazy since. Fingers crossed for a good harvest this year. I did notice yesterday that I have some spider mites on the cascade. Hope to apply neem oil this weekend to rid them of the pesky buggers.

0510152026_zps85ssapnz.jpg

feel like i should update this as i was the one who started this.... haha

here is my hops!

Zeus is closest to the house and roughly 12 feet
cascade is about 8-9 feet
glacier (tiny pot) a friend gave me, and is moving slowly
chinook and EKG are both about 1.5 feet or so

Today I built a second smaller trellis for the hops that I am growing from seed as part of my experimenting with hop breeding.
My main trellis is 18 feet high and has 3 cascades, 1 nugget, 1 centennial, 1 brewer's gold, 1 hallertau, and 1 williamette, all crowns.
The smaller trellis is 10ft high and 30ft long and should allow me to closely monitor the 11 seedlings I have so far. The bastard children are cascade with an unknown father. A few should be male so I can start cross-breeding.

IMG_20150512_152919265.jpg

This is very frustrating! LOL However, I am happy for all you folks. I bought 2 starter plants from a local home store, and planted them about 4 weeks ago. I have watered them semi regular (as its spring), and used a good mixture of potting soil with built in fertilizer. They have just shrivled up and I don't think theyre gonna make it. I am wondering if I should have used a rhizome and if it's too late to try and start one? Or if theres anyway to possibly bring back the little pathetic, shrivled plants?

This is very frustrating! LOL However, I am happy for all you folks. I bought 2 starter plants from a local home store, and planted them about 4 weeks ago. I have watered them semi regular (as its spring), and used a good mixture of potting soil with built in fertilizer. They have just shrivled up and I don't think theyre gonna make it. I am wondering if I should have used a rhizome and if it's too late to try and start one? Or if theres anyway to possibly bring back the little pathetic, shrivled plants?

I know the feeling I planted a Golding that never sprouted and just rotted away. I'd check to see if the soil is retaining too much water might be able to save them if they just need to dry out.

Went outside to check on my Cascade but its pouring, the plant is on top between the little trees, it gets full sun all day and I think the white stucco wall aids in the growth with the light reflecting off it. Nothing like a good rain to help it grow.

View attachment 1431645290855.jpg

Hello:

Just about to put mine on the twine.

Have two pieces of twine for each plant. I read that there should be 2-3 bines trained up each direction. Wondering if I should go with 3 (6) or take it easy the first year and just do 2 (4).

Anyone have any reference for this?

Tom

This season seemed to start early in Victoria, BC. This was as of yesterday.
At least 3 of the plants should be to the top of the 10' frame by the end of today and I'll have to string ropes across to train the hops across. This is the second year for the hops. 6 plants total [2x Centennial, 1 Willamette, 1 Cascade, 1 Columbus, 1 Chinook].

DSCN2080.jpg

IT's ALIVE :rockin:

2 northern brewer plants planted, one on the front of the house, one on the side. This is central finland, so zone 4 for you yanks...
Bonus point, my mother-in-law just told about a bunch of old hop plants that a previous owner of the cottage had planted for brewing use...no clue what they are, but they've been growing great for about 40 years.

WP_20150514_15_35_24_Pro.jpg

View attachment 276679View attachment 276680 Here in Upstate New York my second year Chinooks have reached the top of the cages and begun their journey up the twine. Still amazed how fast they grow.

I like the idea of using the tomato cage, but do you remove the cage in the winter?
And what happens when it rusts? or do you anticipate a good vine by then.

I remove the gages in the winter after the bines die back late fall. I then cut the bines to ground level, spread manure and compost over, and then cover with a heavy layer of straw. No issues with rust, have had the cages for years.

Kinda thought these would have established themselves a lot better than they have. Bought from a local farm where they had just broke through and were a inch tall about mid/late Feb. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431752465.850129.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431752479.398370.jpg

Thinking of trimming the one in the small pot down to two stems.

In the Pacific North West. These have good sun exposure and I water them at random. In a mix of top soil/compost w bone meal.

First time grower. Cascades.

Kinda thought these would have established themselves a lot better than they have. Bought from a local farm where they had just broke through and were a inch tall about mid/late Feb. View attachment 278368View attachment 278369

Thinking of trimming the one in the small pot down to two stems.

In the Pacific North West. These have good sun exposure and I water them at random. In a mix of top soil/compost w bone meal.

First time grower. Cascades.

Let them grow. More growth is probably going on below the soil than above. If you want to give them some 16-16-16 or miracle grow feed them once a week and see what happens.

The root growth is probably struggling to get all the nutrients in that little pot. If it's a rhizome, the roots are just established and all the growth is below ground. One thing I've learned is that roots can grow extra fast. A rhizomes root growth can quickly outgrow a small pot in a month's time. Maybe instead of trimming, plant in the ground or in a larger pot. When transferring, make sure to leave as much of that potted soil together to limit the shock of transplanting. It looks healthy though, so that's encouraging! Cascade is hearty and will grow like crazy when the roots take hold.

Still no comments on the number of bines to send up from a single plant?

Tom

Back