2014 Hop rhizome Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceromance

Reaction score
Looking to see if there is any interest in doing this this year.

Although we are still a few months away from being able to dig up rhizomes here in the north east I figured I'g put this out there to get this started.

List what Hop rhizomes you have, what you rhizomes you want (or if you are willing to give for just shipping or another trade).

I will not know for a month or so but I should have some Centennial, and Haulertau. Looking for Goldings, Magnus or Chinook.

Magnus?

Magslee.PNG

Are Rhizomes digable on rootstock that has only been through 1 season? I have Saaz, Centennial, Nugget, Willamette and Cascade in Virginia that all did awesome on their first year and I harvested 4 dried ounces of Centennial and Cascade from 5 bines! I hear that is uncommon for first year plants grown from rhizomes.

3rd year centennial, sterling, EKG and hallertau. I'm guessing maybe 5 big cuttings for each would be available. I may want some Northern Brewer if I can make room.

Are Rhizomes digable on rootstock that has only been through 1 season? I have Saaz, Centennial, Nugget, Willamette and Cascade in Virginia that all did awesome on their first year and I harvested 4 dried ounces of Centennial and Cascade from 5 bines! I hear that is uncommon for first year plants grown from rhizomes.

you can separate them after 1 year but I think production will decrease.

I have a Centennial plant that I grew from rhizome last season. It is now in its second year. I might be able to send a rooted cutting if I can successfully create cuttings from the Centennial binds.

I really want some Neomexicana, Sorachi Ace, Cluster, or Magnus. I am also looking for some male hop varieties for crossbreeding purposes. I am also looking for seeds from known varieties or at least seeds from a known mother plant.

I have some cascade and nugget I could part with. I'll see how my willamette is doing and if it looks like it's healthy enough to I could part with some of that as well. I would like some magnum for sure and one other. Not sure what other variety yet. If anyone is interested let me know.

I have tons of Cascade,Chinook,Nugget,Willamette. These are 5 years old and large. Also have some Sterling. Looking for Centennial,EKG and Soriachi Ace.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have tons of Cascade,Chinook,Nugget,Willamette. These are 5 years old and large. Also have some Sterling. Looking for Centennial,EKG and Soriachi Ace.

Once the ground thaws you can have a large cutting of my Centennial and EKG. I'll probably be moving anyways and taking some with me as well. I'm guessing hops are difficult to grow on the coast of washington state where it is cloudy most of the time? I plan on moving to Puget sound area. Anyone grow them over there?

I have Cascade, Hallertau, and Williamette that have all been in the ground for 3 yrs (North Central Mn). I'm looking for Centennial, Columbus, and Chinook.

Unfortunately, with this crazy winter we're having it'll be mid to late April before I can dig them up and send.

I have a 4th year golding plant that I have had little success producing anything due to the hot weather here in Texas. The plant does great in spring when the temps are more mild then once summer roles around it stalls and doesn't produce anything. I'm not sure how great a root structure its developed but I could have it out of the ground at anytime since its warm here already.
I am looking for pretty much any american varieties, preferably cascade or centennial. Rhizomes would be accepted but a plant swap would be cool too.

I have a 4th year golding plant that I have had little success producing anything due to the hot weather here in Texas. The plant does great in spring when the temps are more mild then once summer roles around it stalls and doesn't produce anything. I'm not sure how great a root structure its developed but I could have it out of the ground at anytime since its warm here already.
I am looking for pretty much any american varieties, preferably cascade or centennial. Rhizomes would be accepted but a plant swap would be cool too.

I would like to trade you a Cascade rhizome for a Golding rhizome.

I have tons of Cascade,c,Nugget,Willamette.s These are 5 years old and large. Also have some Sterling. Looking for Centennial,EKG and Soriachi Ace.

Shane its your lucky day... I have Soriachi Ace...They were grown from tissue culture..PM and lets make a deal

Once the ground thaws you can have a large cutting of my Centennial and EKG. I'll probably be moving anyways and taking some with me as well. I'm guessing hops are difficult to grow on the coast of washington state where it is cloudy most of the time? I plan on moving to Puget sound area. Anyone grow them over there?

They grow just fine in the Puget Sound area.

What do you need or want. I'm in CT. Won't be ready for a while yet. But itching to get there.

I have cascade centennial and saaz. Anyone wanting any of these varieties let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I could use cascade lots of them...as many cuttings as u can get.. as my stock didn't do as well as I hoped. I have a farm that has a one acre hopyard... It's mostly filled with nugget and Willamette.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I could use cascade lots of them...as many cuttings as u can get.. as my stock didn't do as well as I hoped. I have a farm that has a one acre hopyard... It's mostly filled with nugget and Willamette.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I could trade maybe 4 Cascades for some Sorachi Ace, Nugget, and Willamette.

I have a few whole plants of Centennial and Sterling that I can offer up. I also have a limited supply of Hallertau rhizomes.

If anyone has wild plants, I'd like that first. If not let me know what you'd have to offer in return.

If anyone has Sorachi Ace, Pride of Ringwood, any Pacific varieties, Glacier, or any Polish or Slovenian varieties I'm interested as well.

I have a couple years old columbus and a couple years old nugget I'd like to trade for either some cascades or large cascade rhizomes. Need to move fast on this one for me.

The columbus and nuggets just don't grow well for me. The cascade did, so I want to just focus on that.

I have some Cascades that I would like to trade for Columbus and Nugget.

I have a couple years old columbus and a couple years old nugget I'd like to trade for either some cascades or large cascade rhizomes. Need to move fast on this one for me.

The columbus and nuggets just don't grow well for me. The cascade did, so I want to just focus on that.

Edit: I may not be able fulfill this trade. If somebody else wants to jump on it please proceed. My apologies.

But I did order some rhizomes online this year. I live in Philadelphia, PA and a few of my friends and I plan on growing and home-brewing. One friend has a rooftop garden, and the other friend has a large plot of sunny land. We plan on doing half in ground, and half in a 250 gallon planter, in other words 4 plants at each location.

I ordered from a variety of sources online. First I tried Midwestsupplies, I ordered 1 cascade, 1 columbus, and 1 nugget. This order was purchased on 3/12 and they still have not shipped as of today(3/25). After a few days of no delivery, I tried northwesthops.com. I placed my order on 3/17, they shipped it on 3/19 and I had them in the soil by 3/20 and now its 3/25 and all three rhizomes have sprouted (Cascade, Centennial, Nugget).

I recently contacted a local PA grower(3/22), centralpennhops.com, I talked to Derrick via email. He basically told me that he has only sold his hops to local brewers in the past and never propagated his crowns for rhizomes. His operation is pretty small from what I could tell from his website, but he was extremely nice and helpful. He gladly got his hands dirty and picked some rhizomes for me. He mailed me 3 rhizomes free of charge. I figured I owe Derrick, and Central Penn Hops a real thank you and that's basically why I wrote this really long post.

So basically, Midwestsupplies sucks, Northwesthops.com is very fast, and Centralpennhops.com is outright amazing.

This is a long shot but would anyone be interested in a Willamette crown/rhizome in exchange for a Chinook or Columbus crown or rhizome? I have a Willamette that has never produced for me in 6 years and I'm ready to replace it. Since I'm looking to replace I can remove nearly the whole rootstock and give it away. Would love to get a crown if possible but might just exchange for a healthy rhizome. As I said it's 6 years old and hasn't produced for me but I've had growth every year so I'm assuming it's a climate/soil issue and not a problem with the rootstock itself.

So basically, Midwestsupplies sucks, Northwesthops.com is very fast, and Centralpennhops.com is outright amazing.

Kinda harsh on MidwestSupplies. I live 20 miles from their main office and I can tell you why you haven't received your hop rhizo's yet. We still have quite a bit of snow. There were pipes bursting under streets this year that had never burst before due to the extremely cold winter we had (are having still).

I'm sure they will ship when the ground becomes workable. I have a Chinook and Centennial on order through their sister store Northern Brewer and am actually kinda glad they haven't shipped yet. It will be a month at least till the ground is workable in north central Mn where I plan on planting.

Short story, be glad you have workable soil!

+1 to the above. You do realize other places in the world have different climates. Frozen solid ground is hard to work with.

I'm sure they will ship when the ground becomes workable.

Short story, be glad you have workable soil!

I'm glad to hear this, just wish their order confirmation was a little bit clearer about shipping.

The receipt said the order would ship in 2-4 days. But I called today and I was informed that midwest supplies isn't the actual grower, they just take orders and buy what is requested from them.

They did talk about the weather too and told me to expect the rhizomes to ship mid april (a month from order date). I decided to switch up my order from cascade and nugget, to chinook and sterling and they were extremely nice about the whole situation.

So I guess they don't suck, they are just not very informative or hasty.

I certainly understand the frustration if you have other hops that are sprouting. I would still guess there would be time to get them in the ground even if you got them in 2 more weeks.

Getting just warm enough here this weekend to be cursing the remaining snow piles.

I ordered three rhizo's from Midwest 3 years ago and all three did very well (Cascade, Hallertau, Williamette). At that time they charged an extra fee for shipping. I am adding the Cent and Chinook this year, but no extra shipping fee from NB even though my order was split into 2 shipments. I am assuming Midwest no longer charges extra shipping either, so thats cool.

Anybody ever try swapping cuttings? I have plants that are too young to harvest rhizomes from. I was wondering if anybody had any luck receiving cuttings in the mail and getting them to root?

I was thinking we could put a small bind cutting in a regular envelope and that would save on shipping too.

Anybody ever try swapping cuttings? I have plants that are too young to harvest rhizomes from. I was wondering if anybody had any luck receiving cuttings in the mail and getting them to root?

I was thinking we could put a small bind cutting in a regular envelope and that would save on shipping too.

The USDA will do this, but they usually ship in insulated and refrigerated containers. This doesn't necessarily save on money. Though you could overnight it...but the postage for overnight, ugh.

The USDA will do this, but they usually ship in insulated and refrigerated containers. This doesn't necessarily save on money. Though you could overnight it...but the postage for overnight, ugh.

Overnight shipping and refrigerated containers sounds expensive. I was thinking standard shipping and a zip lock bag with a cutting wrapped in a rung out moist paper towel. I was wondering if a bine cutting could survive that kind of abuse.

I was wondering if a bine cutting could survive that kind of abuse.
Cuttings can live without sun for a few days, but they are very fragile. You'd have better luck if you duplicate the process and mail around 5 cuttings. I'm sure at least 1 will survive if the roots are strong enough.

EDIT: Don't think an unrooted cutting would live the typical 5-14 day mailing process

Cuttings can live without sun for a few days, but they are very fragile. You'd have better luck if you duplicate the process and mail around 5 cuttings. I'm sure at least 1 will survive if the roots are strong enough.

I don't think the idea was to root the cuttings beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back