2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops are starting, they are SOOOO FARRRRR up there. (Also funny that Cascade has hit the roof and now has to decide what to do for rest of summer.)

20140522_170459-picsay[1].jpg

Only just getting the first hints of cones here in Maryland.

If you are in Montgomery or PG county I'm going to be pretty pissed. I live in Silver Spring and my vines look like they're months away from getting cones. You must have way better soil than me or a lot more light... I'm very jealous.

Nice to see everyone's babies coming along. Looks like it'll be a triple harvest for most. My most mature plants topped the ropes a couple weeks ago and dozens of side arms trying to form giant masses with lots of young hops. Several are showing good lupilin production. Dog chewed one rope 5 bines of nugget half the plant total so that sucks. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400846255.265785.jpg

If you are in Montgomery or PG county I'm going to be pretty pissed. I live in Silver Spring and my vines look like they're months away from getting cones. You must have way better soil than me or a lot more light... I'm very jealous.

I'm in Fairfax County. Side arms coming out now, but another few weeks before I'll see cones starting. I'm also on a deck with buckets and only 6 hrs of direct light per day.

I'm in Cheverly, in PG county. I don't think it's going to be the sunlight, they get a reasonable amount but probably not more than 6 hours. I suspect it might be the soil. I'm using the compost we generated last year, which has more than a couple of loads of spent grain (and thus everything comes full circle):

http://hopstarter.blogspot.com/2013/08/ready-for-moving.html

They're also second year growth, which has definitely been stronger than last year.

Year 2. Getting a lot more sprouts this year, very exciting. I have Willamette, Chinook, centennial, and cascade.

1400853899568.jpg

1400853912386.jpg

1400853925282.jpg

1400853941234.jpg

LOL!!!

Looking back it was the 22nd when my Cascade ran into the soffit. Today, two days later....ESCAPE!!! It is headed for the sky and FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM!

20140524_170824-picsay[1].jpg

All four in the back are about 4-5 inches, willament I'm stringing tomorrow cause she is starting to twirl
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400976236.877406.jpg

2nd Willamette just showing some small spurs. Pretty pumped for this years harvest! I hopefully will have enough for a wet hopped/dry hopped SMaSH with some Maris Otter

1400984084804.jpg

1400984098106.jpg

So I thought I would share a few pictures of my small hop garden. I decided to grow Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, and Sterling. This is the first year and so far they have all popped up:). I made a hop pole for them to climb and a few signs out of some extra cedar to remember which is which.

1401045243191.jpg

1401045264992.jpg

1401045359396.jpg

1401045438241.jpg

Here are my 1st year Cascades, been in the ground 3 weeks. The one in the middle was the best plant until I smashed it with a sledge hammer while attempting to drive a stake.
i-MSS6WmT-X2.jpg

My trellis
i-SfkWqL7-X3.jpg

i-MgX2mXx-X3.jpg

Here are some pictures of some hops in southern CA. The first picture is of Nugget hops, which were my early runners this year. They hit the top of a 16' pole a few days ago. You can see two reasons that the hops are elevated and behind small fences--the chicken yard is even more fortified.

The second picture is of some Chinook plants that are just starting to get going.

Finally, the third picture of of Centennial. These are all on different timelines. Of the seven plants, one isn't even on the lines yet and one is 15' or more--the rest are somewhere in between. All of these are first-year plantings from rhizomes that I cut off some older plants. For perspective, the top of those poles is over 21'.

I'll add pictures of the Tettnang and Cascades when they are a little more impressive.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my 2nd year hops. I'll not sure what they are though, forgot to put labels on them! Hoping to tell the difference when they mature. Starting to get side arms, those are the flowers, right? I didn't get anything last year.

1401138685036.jpg

1401138696891.jpg

Hops are poisonous to some dogs... however, mine gas eaten her fair share with no ill effects.

Don't have a nice space for these yet, but they were a surprise gift my brother. These sat unattended for 4-5 years and they look great! Cascade variety... Jackpot!!!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401236451.362453.jpg

The one on the right has a rizome coming out the bottom. It was a foot deep!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

RE hops being poisonous to dogs.
I am a veterinarian and homebrewer so this topic is quite interesting to me.
Some dogs will experience a very severe reaction to consuming hops, the reaction is called Malignant Hyperthermia or Malignant Hyperthermia like reaction, this condition if untreated is usually fatal. Not every dog is susceptible to this condition.
At this point the potential for toxicity after consuming leaves or stems is not known, all reported cases in the veterinary literature are a result of ingestion of hop cones, usually spent hops. Suffice to say best policy is to not let them have any part of the plant.
It is suspected that Greyhounds may be at an increased risk for MH so be extra careful with the hops if you have a Greyhound. (Of course I do lol)

If anyone has questions about hops and dogs send me a message and I will try to help find the answer.

Put in the cedar plank open bottom planters they are 2'x1.5' and 14" deep the earth is tilled up about 8 inches below it. hopefully this will make my life easier in the coming years. All the lengths are around 14' long training them at that angle is kind of annoying but they seem to like it.

10 varieties to see what grows best here as well as some serrano peppers and strawberries for beer additions.

oHkPwHq.jpg

Txlnpb8.jpg

JVLffhm.jpg

So here in Maryland my Columbus has already produced an apical cone. If previous years are anything to go by this means it won't be growing vertically any more (it's currently ~14 feet high) and will hopefully be putting its energy into cone production. There are certainly a good number already beginning to form (second pic). The Cascade and Willamette still seem to be growing happily, even if they haven't started showing signs of cones yet.

IMG_2492 Col.jpg

IMG_2493 Col.jpg

So here in Maryland my Columbus has already produced an apical cone. If previous years are anything to go by this means it won't be growing vertically any more (it's currently ~14 feet high) and will hopefully be putting its energy into cone production. There are certainly a good number already beginning to form (second pic). The Cascade and Willamette still seem to be growing happily, even if they haven't started showing signs of cones yet.

That's pretty much where my Columbus is. Although it's ask going vertical. I'm in Nebraska btw.

Things are coming right along in the south I am in the Ozarks region of Northern Arkansas and my hops are nearly fully developed already! They are criss-crossing their way up a 10 foot tall arbor.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401408119.885705.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401408155.027270.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401408166.921091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My 2nd year plants are coming along, Cascade just like last year is the front runner. The side arms coming out of the thing are already over 3 feet long on each side. This ridiculous plant gave me 12oz dried in its first year...we were picking forever. Its already starting its leftward journey towards the Columbus plant, when it gets near i will do as i did last year and turn the bine around from the window and send it back the other way.
Cascade052914.jpg

Newport is doing much better this year, last year both the Newport and Columbus got stunted for awhile due to lack of nutrients i think, still got 3oz dried out of each their first year so cant complain.
Newport%20052914.jpg

Columbus is also reaching the roofline now.
Columbus052914.jpg

That's pretty much where my Columbus is. Although it's ask going vertical. I'm in Nebraska btw.

There must be some sort of optimal point for the plant to switch from vertical growth to cones production. Not sure what it is or how you might figure it out though.

Just bought a house at the end of February, moved in just two weeks ago. I haven't had any time to design a nice trellis for my 11 varieties, so I'm kind of just rigging them and hoping it all works out. I'll have some legitimate trellises next year, and the hops will finally meet the soil in their third year.

Hopefully the order ends up the same:

Some wild hops foraged in CNY
Glacier/Willamette/Chinook
Canadian Redvine
Liberty

Chinook and Kent Golding (not pictured) are stealing the show this year. Liberty is struggling, but I think it might just be a slow starter.

DSCF9162.jpg

DSCF9178.jpg

DSCF9170.jpg

DSCF9168.jpg

Finally got a enough time tonight to put the ropes on the hop trellis and prune up the hops and get them on the ropes.

IMG_20140530_211211_723.jpg

IMG_20140530_211227_453.jpg

IMG_20140530_211308_933.jpg

Back