2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update from the mid of the midwest. (No cones yet, those pics making me envious.) So far I have learned:

- 1) Organic blood meal is being applied 2tbls per pot once a week and the plants look much happier for it.
- 2) From last year, watering is much more regular, instead of when the tops of pots look dry, I am basically watering every other day on cool (<90f) days and every day on hot days. They appear to appreciate this
- 3) I have had to basically double the neem oil bottle's instructions to make it effective. The lowest mixture on there did no good. In a spray bottle, I fill that very bottom curved area with neem oil, one drop of additive free dish soap, and to top with water. This stops all leaf chewing for about a week. (ps...this is the recipe those 'other' herb growers use so I tried it out.)

The Centenial hit the roof and exploded. Side arms everywhere, and of course up at 16ft and out of my reach to take care of. Sigh.
20140531_110850-picsay.jpg

Cascade had hit the roof first, and looks like all hop flowers starting up there? Again out of my reach to take care of...silly plants.
20140531_110943-picsay.jpg

The rest of the harvest garden, looking ok and they are all over 10ft mark now. Ironically willamette (on end) the hardiest in terms of multiple bines.
20140531_110917-picsay.jpg

And all my babies out back are doing pretty good so far. These are the cuttings I took of the first shoots, rooted in bottles, and potted as backup plants.
20140531_111548-picsay.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my 2nd year hops. I'll not sure what they are though, forgot to put labels on them! Hoping to tell the difference when they mature. Starting to get side arms, those are the flowers, right? I didn't get anything last year.

Yea those side arms are what ur plant throws out to hang some cones on!

Thanks for this thread Reno_eNVy. I was able to go back and recreate my growing diary that I should have been keeping all along.

Quite a variation in growth rate here. 2nd year cascade winning the race to the top.
3 in the middle were new but arrived too soon and did not survive the artic vortex, although 1 did and doing very well.

1401663962051.jpg

im liking this. cant wait to see a picture of that arch completely covered.

I don't think they're going to make it to the top this year. Only one bine is still climbing, but I think it's about done. Maybe next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

3rd year hops. Right two are Centennial and the far left is a Cascade.

Just started noticing burrs turning into cones as of yesterday.

1401720214261.jpg

1401720227198.jpg

1401720456447.jpg

1401720474816.jpg

when do you attempt to train hops up a bine?

my hops are about 9 inches now should i set up my bine for them to grow? does this increase growth?

thanks

I don't think you can start too soon, but if they can't hold themselves up, it would be good to start. The longer you wait, the more the vines will tangle and make a mess.

Just wanted to say that I live in Kearney Nebraska and we're supposed to get pounded with Thunderstorms tomorrow. You know it's not good when they're predicting severe weather, Baseball sized hail and Tornadoes 2 days before the big event. Here's hoping my green babies make it!

when do you attempt to train hops up a bine?

my hops are about 9 inches now should i set up my bine for them to grow? does this increase growth?

thanks

I am not being snarky, but want to point out that 'the bine' is actually the hop plant. They are not 'vines' because they have those pointy bits to hold on so they are 'bines'. So you are actually training the bine up twine...or string, or pole, or rope, or whatever.

Ok, I will turn off my OCD now.

Here is the new episode of Ale and Metal TV that is all about growing hops, with epic failure.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgaSOeAEE3s"]https://[YOUTUBE]qgaSOeAEE3s[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

This Cascade has had it's growth completely removed twice. The last time was about 2 weeks ago when I trained it. Time to get after it again!

Cascade June 14.jpg

My best grower right now is this centennial, all others are in a slump not wanting to grow

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402086718.085172.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402090281.276413.jpgtImageUploadedByHome Brew1402090309.442532.jpg

These guys are all third year. Chinook and cascade producing very well. Have some centennial and williamette too !

My Golding rizome rotted away and never sent out any roots or shoots. Cascade is going good and strong. Had to expand the trellis!

1402242291383.jpg

Something ate the tip of this bine a week ago. Had nobody corrected me a month ago, I would have cut the bine at the ground. You can see the side arms are branching out to become the new tips. This growth is reflected in the 2 before these as well.

1402279251227.jpg

Something ate the tip of this bine a week ago. Had nobody corrected me a month ago, I would have cut the bine at the ground. You can see the side arms are branching out to become the new tips. This growth is reflected in the 2 before these as well.

I had a hail storm do the same to one of my tips and it sent out 2 more bines out the closest node and smaller ones out the next few as well. The 2 new "main" bines are sending out side arms and have some good looking spurs on them.

I was still a bit skeptical as I had heard its best to cut it back to the ground. But I think I'm a believer today.

Here's mine! Doing very well this year cascade on the left fuggle on the right. Cones are already starting to form on the fuggle

20140609_162016.jpg

20140609_162055.jpg

20140609_162116.jpg

Hops are getting up there. Some are starting to flower. Going to be a good year. All second year plants. Columbus, Mt hood, cascade, centennial, nugget, and fuggle. :)

1402349561560.jpg

The flag pole set-up in its second year here, compared to first year. My U.S. Goldings and Columbus are slower starters again.

photo (1).jpg

hops29June2013.jpg

Second year Cascade, Willamette and Mt. Hood all around 12-15ft no cones yet and 6 new first year cascade are just starting to take off!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402409087.320492.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402409106.086197.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402409123.063348.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402409137.228326.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402409147.611659.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402506691.791696.jpgcascade
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402506740.588115.jpgfuggle
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402506796.181165.jpgnugget
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402506839.525970.jpgmagnum
All first year from rhizomes two in each pot

Yes the bottles work the same as those watering bulbs. The water leaks out only when the soil starts to dry. It's been working pretty well for me although I still water normally as well.

Yes the bottles work the same as those watering bulbs. The water leaks out only when the soil starts to dry. It's been working pretty well for me although I still water normally as well.

I do the same with a touch of blood meal in the bottles.
1402661121409.jpg1402661139694.jpg1402661157257.jpg1402661172365.jpg

I've been taking a picture of my hops every morning since May 1st and stitched together a little time-lapse of the first month and a half:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Wzs0ux_AE[/ame]

This is the 4th year for these hops, and even though the soil and sunlight aren't really optimal in my yard they seem to be doing fairly well.

I've been taking a picture of my hops every morning since May 1st and stitched together a little time-lapse of the first month and a half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Wzs0ux_AE

This is the 4th year for these hops, and even though the soil and sunlight aren't really optimal in my yard they seem to be doing fairly well.

Awesome! I thought about doing the same thing for my hops! Maybe next year.

Back