2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So about 3 weeks ago I clipped the top of my hop bine at harvest and threw it into a small vase of water to see if it would root. Sure enough it started to grow some roots. Now my question is can I transplant this into soil and should it grow?

Yes. I've been doing it with all my cuttings this summer. It's called propagation I believe. You can buy hormones from garden stores to help it root. I'm having trouble with centennial but Chinook have taken off...

Hey Everyone, great posts here. looks like a lot of nice hop growing out there.

I figured i'd post what I have to inspire anyone with limited or no soil to plant in. I plant mine in some sub-irrigated planters (planters with water space at bottom) on my balcony / roof top

I planted 12 plants and they all did really well. this year I harvested about 16 pounds dried weight between the 12 of them (8 x 2nd year plants and 4 x 1st years)

Anyway here are a few pics and a link to my writeup

http://brewbot.ca/growing-hops-on-a-balcony.html

brewbot1.jpg

brewbot2.jpg

brewbot3.jpg

brewbot4.jpg

brewbot5.jpg

brewbot7.JPG

brewbot6.JPG

Now that is working with what you got, great grow my friend that is awesome, have you searched your house on Google maps to see what it looks like from above

I picked my hops off the vine and have a question, do I snip the vine at the ground then what do I do with the rest sticking out of the ground?

So, a friend had a bunch of Cascade hops. First harvest, I picked some beauties and vacuum sealed them in canning jars, fresh, and put them in the freezer. I have heard this is not good. Opinions? I was invited back again, but the hops were mostly dried on the vine and brown, They still smell great, some I brought a bunch home. There was some morning dew, so I'm making sure they are completely dry before I do anything with them. Then what? Vacuum seal in bags and leave at room temp?

DSC05809.jpg

I picked my hops off the vine and have a question, do I snip the vine at the ground then what do I do with the rest sticking out of the ground?

If there are still leaves let it go until it dies. Once everything has turned brown, cut it back to a few inches above the soil.

So about 3 weeks ago I clipped the top of my hop bine at harvest and threw it into a small vase of water to see if it would root. Sure enough it started to grow some roots. Now my question is can I transplant this into soil and should it grow?

View attachment 224993

Only magnum didn't reroot for some reason. I put root stimulator in all my bottles and they went to town. Had to give away all the extras I made 'just in case'.

You don't have too. I assume you are in an area with longer growing season that we have in middle of country. So you could leave them so they put some nutrients away in roots for winter. I cut my down to about 5-6ft with leaves and draped those around. (Had to take down my growing set up as we left town for a while and I wouldn't have been able to water to keep 18ft bines happy.)

So, a friend had a bunch of Cascade hops. First harvest, I picked some beauties and vacuum sealed them in canning jars, fresh, and put them in the freezer. I have heard this is not good. Opinions? I was invited back again, but the hops were mostly dried on the vine and brown, They still smell great, some I brought a bunch home. There was some morning dew, so I'm making sure they are completely dry before I do anything with them. Then what? Vacuum seal in bags and leave at room temp?

I have successfully stored my hops in the freezer without drying. As long as they go directly into the boiling wort (don't thaw before hand) I don't see that you should have any problems. I recorded my efforts for posterity here: http://hopstarter.blogspot.com/2013/09/brewing-pt2.html. This was easily the best beer I'd made up to that point, even if I do say so myself (actually lots of other people told me too).

Have frozen this year's harvest too. Haven't gotten around to using it yet. Just got a delivery of ingredients today so hopefully soon.

I have successfully stored my hops in the freezer without drying. As long as they go directly into the boiling wort (don't thaw before hand) I don't see that you should have any problems. I recorded my efforts for posterity here: http://hopstarter.blogspot.com/2013/09/brewing-pt2.html. This was easily the best beer I'd made up to that point, even if I do say so myself (actually lots of other people told me too).

Have frozen this year's harvest too. Haven't gotten around to using it yet. Just got a delivery of ingredients today so hopefully soon.

Hey! That's good to know! I'm going to go read your blog entry in just a minute. So, now I have the vac sealed frozen ones and I have some that are dried. Do you think the frozen ones would do better as early/bittering additions and the dried ones for the late additions and dry hopping?

Back