2014 BJCP Overhaul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
As many of you have heard, the Beer Judge Certification Program has announced a major update to its Style Guidelines - the styles that homebrewers and craft brewers the world over use to describe their beers. Gordon Strong, President of the BJCP recently did a presentation at the National Homebrewers Conference discussing those changes. The BJCP released his slides as a PDF file. Chip Walton recorded the presentation on video and has already released it as a Chop & Brew episode.

I have studied the notes and listened to the presentation a few times through and have done a full writeup of the proposed changes, as well as some commentary about my own thoughts on them. I have already contacted Gordon and asked him to let me know if I misinterpreted something. I welcome comments and opinions anywhere - here, on my blog (Brews & Stews), my Twitter feed @darkbroodbrews, at Chop & Brew, or at the BJCP: bjcp.org forums, Facebook, or @BJCPComm.

You can find links to my reviews, the slides, Chip's video, and notes on how to have your voice heard at: http://tinyurl.com/2014bjcp/.

Here are direct links to the different parts of the review:

Part 1 – History of Beer Styles

Part 2 – Overview and Lagers/Hybrid Styles

Part 3 – Ales and Specialty Beers

Part 4 – Meads/Ciders and Wrapup

Thanks for the analysis. The changes are massive, I'm sure the transition is going to be difficult.

Back