2010 Hops Gardens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now this is why we start new threads! I have goose bumps. I have searched everywhere for ideas on how to design my trellis and I have more info in 10 mins. than ever! My Brewers Gold and Cascade have started a Pergola and walkway trellis that I have not budgeted for. After seeing these pix I will alter my plans, build better, photograph and post! PS- rain barrels in your design make gardens jump.

-coastal georgia start up-

Planted Cascade, Willamette, Nugget, and Fuggle this year. They have only been in the ground for two weeks and we'll see how they handle the heat this summer.

Overall view - have not strung the twine yet.

100_2662.jpg

Cascade
100_2658.jpg

Fuggle
100_2659.jpg

Nugget
100_2660.jpg

Willamette
100_2661.jpg

The Fuggle and Nugget are about 7" tall for reference.

I am new to growing hops, but have read that cutting back to 3 main runs is a good idea. this will be my second year with cascade and fuggle, started with righzomes. grew a few cones. this years harvest should be better right ?

kent golding and centennial are beginning to take off (1-2"). cascade hasnt even broke ground yet after 3+ wks :(

I planted a total of 10 rhizomes about 2 weeks ago. So far only 1 of 3 Cascade, and 1 of 3 Chinook have broke ground. The 2 Tettnanger and 2 Willamette haven't done anything yet.

kent golding and centennial are beginning to take off (1-2"). cascade hasnt even broke ground yet after 3+ wks :(

I wouldn't worry just yet. I had a Saaz take almost 5 weeks to break ground the first year. Glad I fought the urge to dig it up. This (3rd) year, it's already to the top of the trellis. Really gotta extend it next year.

So. I have about 10 varietals going and I just noticed some side shoots on both my Tettnanger and Nuggett. Now - what's exciting is that I'm in Michigan... So that's awesome for our climate. My tallest is about 10-12ft tall right now and almost reaching the deck of the house.
IMG_9284.JPG

I used some relatively simple materials - conduit from Home Depot with L joints - each 10-12 ft pole costs $3 or so. To get more height they are put into some PVC pipes which are in the ground. So maybe in the winter I will remove the rig and re-install in the spring:
IMG_9283.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG

the bines on the Tett look great but Nugs are about 1 ft or two ahead:
IMG_9239.JPG

In case you're wondering what the big hole is for in between the two poles... Here is what goes there:
IMG_9230.JPG

I'm hoping to see some hairs on the cones coming up soon. Right now they're just short shoots - about 1/2 to an 1 inch long.

So. I have about 10 varietals going and I just noticed some side shoots on both my Tettnanger and Nuggett. Now - what's exciting is that I'm in Michigan... So that's awesome for our climate. My tallest is about 10-12ft tall right now and almost reaching the deck of the house.
IMG_9284.JPG

I used some relatively simple materials - conduit from Home Depot with L joints - each 10-12 ft pole costs $3 or so. To get more height they are put into some PVC pipes which are in the ground. So maybe in the winter I will remove the rig and re-install in the spring

Great looking location. What size conduit did you use?

Great looking location. What size conduit did you use?

I have 2 sets of 2 like this and then some stand alone poles.
For the ones you see here I used 1/2 in. 3/4 would be more rigid. 1/2 inch definitely could bend. In this case, I will add a cross member at the corner of the L and another at the mid point. I hope to have up to 9 mounds (so a grid of 3x3) and use Sisal rope to go from the top down. It's fairly steady as it is anchored to the 4x4 on the deck and into a PVC pipe on the ground.

The real objective here is to give them a good amount of upward room and create a top "blanket" where they get good sun and air.
Knowing what they did last year - they will likely get into the deck in about 45 days. At that point I may add another level of conduit on the deck.

The best part of this contraption is that the deck is off the bedroom... So I can harvest without a ladder for some of the hops.

hmm maybe I should get a hammock out there.

Just a cruious question...I planted rhizomes (decided a bit late to plant) about a week ago. Weather has been in the 40's or so as I live in central MN. When should I be expecting to see the first signs life from these things? The rhizomes themselves looked a little sparse of the white shoots, so i wasn't expecting anything soon, but just curious as to what a normal wait time is.

I think I'm getting too micro-managery on these guys.

I'm still building my wall and garden so these can't go in the ground yet, but I'm a few days away which is good. It's also dropping down into the 30's at night so I am taking advantage of the ability to pull them in at night even though I know they'll be fine... They're just babies...;)

Cascade 5/4/10
DSC_6504.jpg

Same Cascade 5/12/10
It's easily doubled in size in about a week. Amazing.
AND, the Cascade on the right in the top picture is the same as the one on the right in the bottom.
2010-05-12070805.jpg

Gridlocked - I've got the same problem with the weather. Had another frost last night, even though it's been getting into the 60s during the day. 5th year plants and nothing over a foot tall yet.

Gridlocked - I've got the same problem with the weather. Had another frost last night, even though it's been getting into the 60s during the day. 5th year plants and nothing over a foot tall yet.

Yeah this weather is not helping my first years any. Southeast PA has had terrible winds, followed by more cold, dreary, rainy weather. It's been downright cold at night, and only in the upper 50's to low 60's during the day, and not much sun to enjoy either.

My cascades rocketed off to about a foot last month, and now they haven't gone anywhere. Can't wait for the warmer weather to kick in again so I can some pictures up here!

mine are doing good, way better then the saaz last year. here is a pic of some of the 40+ hops I have going right now

1.jpg

I haven't potted my rhizomes yet (willamette, tomahawk, cascade, centennial). Even though I am in southwest Colorado and haven't received the snow this week that the north has, the night time temps have been dipping below freezing. Looking at the forecast I believe it will be safe to plant them indoors this coming weekend.

Frustrating. I want to get them going so bad.

My third year chinook and cascade have officially reached the 2nd (3rd?-there's a "garden level") floor. The Mt Hood in the back, and the Zeus in the front are a bit behind...maybe 7 feet tall.

IMAG0161.jpg

Second year Mt. Hood - super hardy bines

IMAG0165.jpg

Second year Cascade

IMAG0045.jpg

Rhizomes from Freshops and Adventuresinhomebrewing

IMAG0137.jpg

Large nugget rhizomes from Adventuresinhomebrewing

IMAG0154.jpg

Saaz rhizomes from Brewbrothers

IMAG0168.jpg

Fuggle - in a container for this year at least - just broke ground

IMAG0164.jpg

Nugget - to be transplanted to another property, hopefully soon

IMAG0163.jpg

EKG - in a container for this year at least

IMAG0169.jpg

Saaz - to be planted on south side of my house, hopefully soon

In case you're wondering, my backyard resembles the DMZ because I have had countless encounters with wildlife. Coons, possum, squirrels, rabbits, skunk - everything but dinosaurs. Even still, something managed to dig a hole in the nuggets yesterday but didnt bother the rhizomes for some reason.

:mug:

It's been raining for three days straight here in Minnesota. I got some dirt moved on Monday but it turned into a mud pit so I pulled the plug... It's supposed to be in the mid to high 70's this weekend, so opefully they'll be in the ground soon.

That nuggett rhizome looks awsum.

Creative use of chicken wire too. I'm tired of the top of the bines getting nibbled. Smart way to prevent that.

IMG_0208.jpg

Unkown variety...zero maintenance. This drunk lady harvests the bines and sends them to South Dakota to her family to make holiday reethes

I am in Tucker GA, just outside of Atlanta. I planted Cascade, Fuggle, and Chinook. So far the Cascade has bee going nuts. One vine it already 6 feet!! The Fuggle is only one foot. And my Chinook hasn't even came up. But this is really exciting. My first time growing hops!!!

Hree are the first pictures of my first ever Hop Garden. The plants are in ther ground and some are growing quite well other are a little slow. My trellis (modelled after Bobby M video and advise) has yet to make into the final assembly stages but hopefully by the end of the weekend it will be in place and looking good.

(from left to right: Willamettes, Fuggles, Cascades, Nugget)
HopGarden.jpg

Cascades
Hops1.jpg

Nugget
Hops.jpg

Here is most of my time was spent the last few days. The fmaily's new outdoor sitting area. Looking good and pretty darn enjoyable.

Garden2010.jpg

Cheers :mug:

No fertilizer, just water, sun, and compost...but not a lot of compost really. Just a scoop every once in a while near the bines.

What is the purpose of the tomato cages? Some regular and some up side down. Should I be adding these to my garden?

my mt hood, hallertau, and one of my cascades just broke ground in the last two days in northern california. centennial has been up for a couple weeks. still waiting on a columbus, chinook, cascade and centennial.

for the last 2 months my nugget, cascade, galena, and santium have gone from 'zomes to some 3'. i think my willamette is dead... :(

i saw someone else mention that their willamette died earlier in the thread, in addition to brewkitty. I'm one for 2 with the willamette... got one coming up and the other died due to a sudden frost. but the way that my year 2 chinook and cascade are doing now, i'm not worried about the willamette output next year.

i'll eventually get some more pix of mine... just been lazy and working on my keggle conversions.

Crazy - I have dozens, maybe a a couple hundred flowers showing up on my Cascades (from which I got a pound or two last year) already. The Mount Hood, which gave me maybe an ounce last year, shows no flowers yet.

LOVE THIS. Now, I want one!

I would love it more if my hops came up. I planted them April 11 and they still haven't come up yet. I am getting impatient. I am watering them every other day. Hopefully they will come up soon. Anyone in the Boston / Providence area have their hops break ground yet?

Latest posts

Back