2010 Bigfoot is on the loose!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, get to your local beer store. Sierra Nevada 2010 Bigfoot is on the wild, most likely in your best local beer store! I picked up a case today that had JUST been dropped off, the person who does the ordering said he only got notice of it earlier this week!

Its sitting out in my truck calling to me. I need a place to put it for a few years so that I won't touch it!

I'm not sure if they made more or less this year than before, but the man at the Beverage King in Lebanon, NH said that his distributor normally receives 500 cases and was only given 240 this year! And one of them is MINE!

If anyone cares to compare, I paid $40.99 for 24 bottles, no tax or bottle return (gotta love NH!) I'm considering picking up a second, people pay that much for 4 bottles of mediocre wine, why shouldnt I be able to buy more of something that is supposed to age?!

I can't wait to try it. I've made a couple of calls to see if anyone in my area has it, but to no avail.

No matter -- the search for Bigfoot will begin anew in the morn!

I couldn't get a hold of the 2009 Bigfoot when it came out and it greatly saddened me. I will stop on my way home tonight and see if I can get a case(or 2).

Hands down one of my favorite beers.

I used to live in Monterey, CA where there was a cool bar that had most of Sierra Nevada beers on tap, including Bigfoot when it was in season. They had $2 pint nights every Wednesday and Bigfoot was included. YES! You can get pretty toasty for under ten bucks when $2 Bigfoots are available.
:mug:

Think I need to head back home soon!

Picked up a 6'er last night at the grocery store. It wasn't even in the system yet so the boy price checked it at 5.99/6-pack. :) I had to get some more at that price.

Just finished my first one. A little less hoppy then last year. The hops hit at first with a nice malty finish. Surprising easy to drink. Cheers!

Picked up a 6'er last night at the grocery store. It wasn't even in the system yet so the boy price checked it at 5.99/6-pack. :) I had to get some more at that price.

That's when you go back to the shelf with a shopping cart and clean them out, there and then. Because in all likelyhood, you won't see that price again!

$11.99/ 6pk at BevMo here in CA.

Yeah, I'm planning on swinging by the Sunnyvale BevMo later on to get some. Good craft beer found easily is one of the few perks of living in CA. :mug:

I used to live in Monterey, CA where there was a cool bar that had most of Sierra Nevada beers on tap, including Bigfoot when it was in season. They had $2 pint nights every Wednesday and Bigfoot was included. YES! You can get pretty toasty for under ten bucks when $2 Bigfoots are available.
:mug:

Think I need to head back home soon!

God I hated the Duck. Crown & Anchor or sober!

Tasted this at my BJCP class on Wed. We were doing an exercise where we were served a random beer, and had to guess the style. Everyone decided it was a barleywine that just didn't hit the marks. It was hoppy enough for American BW, but lacked any good malt character. Maybe we got a bad pack, but we were all slightly disappointed.

I still haven't found 2010 but in my neighbor's searching he found 2 sixers of 2005 and 3 sixers of 2008.

So We're stocked up a bit but still need to find 2010 so we can do a compare. The 2005 was delicious and more mellow than the 2008 though.

Variations from year to year notwithstanding, some thoughts on the suitability of Bigfoot as an American Barley Wine.

Bigfoot was the first American Barley Wine and it is hard to be a poor example of a style you define, at least in large part.

As for evaluating it specifically against the BJCP guidelines. While there is no hard and fast rule, the commercial examples listed are generally listed in order with those listed first being those that are considered the best examples. Bigfoot is listed first.

Based on drinking Bigfoot in the past I find it a little absurd to consider it out of style based on the BJCP description (and more than a little absurd to consider it out of style considering the history of the style), but I have not had it yet this year and if I find it to differ markedly from prior vintages I will retract this statement.

I picked up a 6er today from Whole Foods. This is my first Barley Wine so I was not sure what to expect. Its pretty good, but I am guessing I should get a few more and stick them in a cubbyhole for a few years.

Yeah, I'm planning on swinging by the Sunnyvale BevMo later on to get some. Good craft beer found easily is one of the few perks of living in CA. :mug:

God I hated the Duck. Crown & Anchor or sober!

Oh, don't get me wrong, Crown & Anchor is way better normally, but you certainty can't beat $2 draft Bigfoots (Bigfeet?).

Oh, don't get me wrong, Crown & Anchor is way better normally, but you certainty can't beat $2 draft Bigfoots (Bigfeet?).

Damn, I know a place its on tap in Burlington, VT for $6/ 10 oz. OUCH!

On the other hand, I picked up a second case of Bigfoot at a liquor store in Wakefield, RI yesterday... last case they have there.. I'm not even going to touch this one...

Picked up a six pack of BF for the Super Bowl. Pretty damn tasty IMHO. Yeah, a pretty pronounced hop flavor without much of a malty finish, but I'm a hophead and I liked it. I hold BJCP guidelines on par with Siskel and Ebert's opinions of what movies to watch.

Wow, is it really that hard to get that stuff outside of NE Ohio? I've been living near Cleveland for about 6 months and drinking big foot at Winking Lizards (Restaurant/Bar) almost every time I go in... and I go in alot! Love that stuff... potent!

Variations from year to year notwithstanding, some thoughts on the suitability of Bigfoot as an American Barley Wine.

Bigfoot was the first American Barley Wine and it is hard to be a poor example of a style you define, at least in large part.

As for evaluating it specifically against the BJCP guidelines. While there is no hard and fast rule, the commercial examples listed are generally listed in order with those listed first being those that are considered the best examples. Bigfoot is listed first.

I'm in no way picking a fight with Edcculus or anyone else. I have to say to Edcculus and anyone doing a tasting, you taste what you taste and that's what you have to trust. Maybe it was a bad bottle, who knows! As to the point of the post I'm often flabbergasted by people's comments/reaction to SNPA. It defined the style yet people will pick it out as being too malty or not hoppy enough. It's perfect for the style, but more and more breweries are moving toward a paler hoppier version of the style. They're equally valid versions of the style. In many bjcp categories there's great room for flexibility, ABW and APA being 2 such categories.

For the record I love Bigfoot and Old Foghorn, probably my 2 fav. barleywines.

Schlante,
Phillip

Wow, is it really that hard to get that stuff outside of NE Ohio? I've been living near Cleveland for about 6 months and drinking big foot at Winking Lizards (Restaurant/Bar) almost every time I go in... and I go in alot! Love that stuff... potent!

Interesting first post, welcome!

It is possible that that bar in particular stocks up on kegs of the beer, or cases of the bottles. There are locations that buy multiple kegs so that they can sit on them. For example, a bar in Vermont is/will be doing a side by side tasting of 2009 and 2010 Bigfoot as they sat on a keg of the '09 for a year. Regardless, you're a lucky man for being able to get it on tap all the time!

I had never heard of Bigfoot prior to it popping up on this forum over the past week or so (I just got into homebrewing and craft beer drinking within the past year). With all the hype it was getting, I figured I needed to pick some up. The grocery store right behind my house has a fantastic selection and had quite a few 6-packs on hand, so I picked one up on my way home from work today.

My question is this: what sort of drinking schedule should I have for this? It is clearly a beer that can stand some aging, so should I drink one now and then one every 6 months until its gone? 1 every year? Drink the sixer now and get a second pack to age? What do other people do?

Ok, one more question: when aging, what temperature should I age it at? Room temp, basement temp, or fridge temp?

WOW, just picked up a sixer after reading this thread. I guess I was lucky, they had 4 six packs on the rack. Paid $10.25 for the six and just cracked one open. I have never had a SN Bigfoot till now. Now that's a Hoppy brew. I can still taste the hops. I think it poured green.

Brewer44

Might have to go back and get me another 12 for aging. This beer is rated very high at ratebeer.com

Damn, didn't even know it was out yet.

Have two bottles of 09 left and three of 08. I swear I am going to buy a full case this year so I can have more of it.

One of my favorite beers of all time.

Just had a Bigfoot. It was delicious. But I put the other eleven bottles away in dark storage to age. I will try one every month or so.

Just picked up a 6 for $15.00 in South Jersey. I had to ask for it, they had it hidden in the back. The guy said he only had 3 cases of it and will only sell it the those who ask. I asked him if I can come back to get more another day and he said the best he can do is 2 more 6ers. I've never had it before so I'm excited to try it. What is the best to store it?

Got a sixer the other week...glad to see the old label is back on it!
bigfoot.jpg

Yes! Just as I run out of Old Horizontal, another great barleywine comes out. Excellent. And it will soon be Flying Mouflan season...*drool*

Latest posts

Back