2009 Sierra Nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialGreg

Reaction score
so just a simple question. my buddy was cleaning out his garage and found a box full of mixed sierra nevada beers and gave the box to me.. i was wondering if theses beers are still good to drink? there are a couple celebration ales, harvest wet hop, and estate ales.

thanks.

They are as safe to drink as fresh beers, but their flavor is likely to be poor. 5 years is a long time and they were stored in a garage. Expect them to taste of soggy cardboard.

That said, their QC is impeccable at SN, so I'm not as convinced as giraffe that they'll all be horribly oxidized. The bigger beers might have held up quite well. Temperature and protection from light are two other factors that play into the storage.

Try 'em. Worst that can happen is they won't taste very good. Might not be a bad idea to have a good, hoppy IPA or chewy imperial stout on hand to cleanse your palate afterwards, though...

Earlier this year my buddy and I opened 2 old bottles of 2008 SN Bigfoot barleywine. We also had a 2013 Bigfoot to compare. We actually liked the 2008 better. Keep in mind that barleywine is a style that does well with age.

Celebration should be hitting the shelves soon!! Love me some celeies!

I bought some last week. It said it was bottled a month ago? Anyway, still delicious. Seems to be better than last year.

Latest posts

Back