2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cascades are at least 10' tall right now and I'm starting to get worried a little. They are climbing up a 20' tall windmill and I think they will reach the top easily.

Do you have any kids? Because if you do then I bet they don't like dad right now for ruining the ultimate yard ball field.;)

Got a nice bit of land there...

Haha yeah no kids for me! This field is actually my buddy's parents and they used to grown corn there. They said we could grow hops in there but I am not sure they new how big we were gona go with this. :eek:

If they do grow well we will have plenty of space to expand! :D

I Have the same worry's man, my hops are about 5 feet tall and only have a 16 foot trellis. I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens, or maybe stop feeding them so much.

I Have the same worry's man, my hops are about 5 feet tall and only have a 16 foot trellis. I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens, or maybe stop feeding them so much.

Oh man my heart bleeds for you two :cross: haha. I might be in the same boat once mine start growing but I am at the point where I would be happy to see them just grow.

Could you guys try to harvest twice in one season?

Some of my leaves are huge. The bines look pretty healthy as well.

(Apparently, that image host will only let me hotlink thumbnails. Click the image for full size.)

Ølbart;1356869 said:
Some of my leaves are huge. The bines look pretty healthy as well.

(Apparently, that image host will only let me hotlink thumbnails. Click the image for full size.)

Worthless post unless a young, blonde Norwegian girl is shown for scale:mug:

Lookin' good!

Oh man my heart bleeds for you two :cross: haha. I might be in the same boat once mine start growing but I am at the point where I would be happy to see them just grow.

Could you guys try to harvest twice in one season?

I feel this, 2/6 plants growing and those two look terrible compared to most of these plants.

Mine are FINALLY up in Utah.
The setup. I installed the pole and will run the twine soon. The brown line is a drip irrigation system.
1000003c.jpg

Cascade:
1000001s.jpg

Nugget:
1000002n.jpg

You all have some great progress. Mine are ranging from 2 feet to 5 feet at the highest. Of course they are first year, so I expected less growth vs a plant which has a root system already established.

Soon though! :D

dsc00021m.jpg

This was over a month ago. These are now about 15 feet tall; I will update the pic this weekend

DSC000221.JPG

Different angle

I will try to post an update tonight, but I left for business only overnight but I was away from the hops for about 34 hours and my Chinook that was only about 4 inches tall when I left was about 18 inches when I got back :)

The only Cascade I have out of the ground is as tall as I am now. My willamette has 2 bines that are my height too. The Perle is chugging along too. Centennial is showing more life now but I have not seen the Magnum and 2 other Cascades I have.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-IQWrd6uA]YouTube - Hops[/ame]

Here are mine - the first year Zues that I bought in the trade forum here are by far in the lead -- the first year Cascade from hopfarmer are in second with the second year Willamette and EKG just starting to get their grow on (something at a lot of the EKG leaves :( )

I put this in another thread, but my Cascade grew 38" in the last 7 days. The clothespin is at eye level.

IMG_5074.JPG

You are just showing off. You feed your bine crappy old tires while growing in a pot and it sill looks taller and fuller than mine.

My Centennial bine is up to the gutter about 10 foot or so. There is another bine growing thats about 3 foot as well.

Both mine are first year. The centenial was planted around May 18 , the cascade a week later. It's been cold and wet here since Memorial day.
The last two days it's been sunny and they finally started growing.

Cascade

cascadeshop.jpg

centenial
centenialhops.jpg

So I got my hops in the ground 9 days ago and haven't been able to go check them out because they are 45 minutes away. But I got word that one broke ground the other day! :ban:

I am pretty excited about it and I can't wait to see it once I can get out there. I am hoping will all of the rain we are getting this week that others will follow the excellent example the 1 plant has presented. :D

EDIT: Scratch that this morning it was reported that another one popped through so that makes two out of 8 so far haha.

Out of all my plants (cascade, centennial, chinook, fuggle), the chinook is a total beast. It's reached the top of its climbing twine at 16' while the others are only 3-5' tall. I'll edit with some pics later.

Fuggles is listed as low yield, so I planted twice as many as EKG (Medium yield). It surprised me when the fuggles took of quicker than the EKG. Now I see the difference. The fuggles gets exactly two hop flowers per leaf branch. EKG gets a cluster of the little buggers......I get it now. :)

My situation.... Nugget left, Cascade right...

2009_Hops_-_June_001.jpg

3' away looking up...
2009_Hops_-_June_002.jpg

Nugget base gone crazy...
2009_Hops_-_June_003.jpg

Same deal with Cascade
2009_Hops_-_June_004.jpg

The crop picking in August will be awesome!

First week of June and all my hops are bigger than they ever got last year. All are 2nd year plants.

Cent has reached the top of the 18' pole

IMG_1453s.JPG

Cascade decided to give up on the sisal and start wrapping the pole...defeats my pulley idea to lower the ropes to harvest...

I added 2 more ropes to the cascade and fuggle because they were taking over the neighbor's fence...I couldn't complete untangle the bines from the chainlink..so..just tied the ropes to the fence and started them up.

IMG_1455s.JPG

Cent leaves are BIG!!!

IMG_1461s.JPG

-JMW

photo-7.jpg

They finally came up about two-three weeks ago and did most of the growing in two 80 degree days. Since then mostly cold and raining. I planted a Cascade that didn’t make it. I dug it up last week and it was like a piece of rubber so I planted a new one that still has not broke out.

Not for nothing, but those trees look like they're shading out your hops pretty bad. What time of day were the pictures taken? If the hops are on the northern side of the trees I would recommend moving the trellis next year.

Morning, about 7am whilst letting the dogs do their thing. ;) They get a lot of sun otherwise, especially into the evening. Trying to keep 'em somewhat close to the house to deter groundhogs/rabbits/etc from chomping on 'em. :mad:

Back