2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget today - up 7 feet!
nugget0020.JPG

check out the side arm action... bout 1 inch long
nugget0021.JPG

Last year at this time the tallest plant I had was about a foot tall... Things are growing well.

How much direct sun time is it getting in this spot? Looks like it is in the shade and lots of shade around the immediate area.

How much direct sun time is it getting in this spot? Looks like it is in the shade and lots of shade around the immediate area.

Unfortunately, it gets almost all shade (minus about an hour in the early morning) until 12:30 - 1 pm... then it's direct sun the rest of the day. I'd love to have them in full sun all day, but that would require either me getting a divorce, or me cutting down half of the neighbors trees.... which once I got out of jail, would probably result in divorce.

Unfortunately, it gets almost all shade (minus about an hour in the early morning) until 12:30 - 1 pm... then it's direct sun the rest of the day. I'd love to have them in full sun all day, but that would require either me getting a divorce, or me cutting down half of the neighbors trees.... which once I got out of jail, would probably result in divorce.

Yeah, I would just stick with the current plan then :)

I was just asking because I don't have the best situation either my 8 plants are ranging from about 5-8 hours of direct sun currently but I so wish I could give them more but again neighbors and I have a damn pool in the middle of my yard where they should be to get sun all day or at least 10+ hours.

Here is a photo from this afternoon. They have reached the tops of the trellis and have 2'-3' laterals. I have got a lot of little hops blooming.
I think that the first hops will be ready to pick in 6-8 weeks. I am wondering if I can get a second crop. I am still getting a lot of new shoots from the ground. My thought is to train a few younger bines up the trellis for a second harvest later in the year. What do you think?

P1030617.jpg

P1030618.jpg

Yeah, I would just stick with the current plan then :)

I was just asking because I don't have the best situation either my 8 plants are ranging from about 5-8 hours of direct sun currently but I so wish I could give them more but again neighbors and I have a damn pool in the middle of my yard where they should be to get sun all day or at least 10+ hours.

You could use containers that way you can position them for optimum sunlight. Horse troughs or 1/2 wine barrels would work.

They're there and growing. Can't hurt to try. What year are these plants? Are you going to get this heat wave first part of next week?

I have:
Cascade
Magnum
Nugget
Centennial
Brewers Gold
Horizon
Mt Hood
Zeus

Right now, the Cascade and Nugget are blooming the most.

I am in the North Bay. It will get hot and then cool off with a bay breeze.

You could use containers that way you can position them for optimum sunlight. Horse troughs or 1/2 wine barrels would work.

Well see the other part of the equation of where to put them is the wife. I don't think she would like it if I have a half wine barrel and strings strung across the yard from them. I have the perfect spot, the mound off to the right in this pic

P1040847s.jpg

Good drainage and it would get about 10 hours of direct sun per day right now and probably 11 at summer solstice but the hops are not there, I originally planned on putting a 16' 4x4 in the ground with a plus made of 2x4s on the top to have strings run up to, but that didn't pass the committee.

I see your point. That is a tricky situation. I would also be concerned about chlorinated water getting splashed on the plants. Good luck, I'm sure there's a compromise in there somewhere. ;)

Here is where my hops are at as of today.

From the left of the trellis we have the Perle

P1040923.JPG

Next is the Chinook which just showed her face last week finally

P1040924.JPG

Next is the centennial which hasn't done any growing in a long time

P1040925.JPG

Next is the spot for the magnum, but no magnum :(

P1040926.JPG

The next is my Willamette which is the best performer with 5 shoots that came up. The climber in the pic is about 2 ft

P1040927.JPG

Next is the cascade, only 1 out of 3 has come up so far.

P1040928.JPG

Here is what the Cascades will climb if they get moving. It maxes out at about 11ft but add maybe about a foot because of the inclined accent to the fence.

P1040929.JPG

Here is a general pic that I described from left to right

P1040930.JPG

I am wondering what is going on with my centennial as she has not grown or sprouted a new shoot in about a month. Any suggestions? I was looking for a good fertilizer, I have some 10-0-0 and some liquid veggie food I have been experimenting with.

Here is where my hops are at as of today.

From the left of the trellis we have the Perle

P1040923.JPG

Next is the Chinook which just showed her face last week finally

P1040924.JPG

Next is the centennial which hasn't done any growing in a long time

P1040925.JPG

Next is the spot for the magnum, but no magnum :(

P1040926.JPG

The next is my Willamette which is the best performer with 5 shoots that came up. The climber in the pic is about 2 ft

P1040927.JPG

Next is the cascade, only 1 out of 3 has come up so far.

P1040928.JPG

Here is what the Cascades will climb if they get moving. It maxes out at about 11ft but add maybe about a foot because of the inclined accent to the fence.

P1040929.JPG

Here is a general pic that I described from left to right

P1040930.JPG

I am wondering what is going on with my centennial as she has not grown or sprouted a new shoot in about a month. Any suggestions? I was looking for a good fertilizer, I have some 10-0-0 and some liquid veggie food I have been experimenting with.

Pick yourself up an inexpensive soil test kit and find out what it may or may not be lacking. COuld just need hotter weather and then it will take off.

The past week my rope has been frayed at the top from wind and my bines have all fallen to the ground - twice! This is getting annoying!

Lehr: I like the telephone pole & cable. It's simple and covers a lot of ground. The plastic rings are nice too. Makes it easy to go around with the string trimmer.

What do you have planted? I see the glacier.

Since we are all showing pictures I just ran outside and took a picture of the two vines I have at work. I ran our of room at home so I brought two to the office. They don't get the best amount of sun but the soil is good.

This is magnum. Unfortunatley I broke off all but an inch of it when I transplanted it behind my office. For the first two weeks it looked like a tiny shrub. It has finally recovered and is making progress once again. The white pipe is the output from the buildings A/C which will automatically keep it watered through the summer.
OfficeMagnum1.jpg

This is nugget planted next to the back steps into the building. Just ignore the tomato in the background.
Officenugget1.jpg

PS: I to sign up for premium just for the pictures.

Lehr: I like the telephone pole & cable. It's simple and covers a lot of ground. The plastic rings are nice too. Makes it easy to go around with the string trimmer.

What do you have planted? I see the glacier.

Cascade cenntenial golding nugget hallertau horizon galcier might be one more.

Pat

I like the little name tags - very rustic. How did you come about those?

I got tired of the magic marker lables fading away after two weeks and I have a metal shop. I stamped the name into a scrap of copper and soldered it to a piece of heavy electrical wire for the stake. I left them unfinished so outside they quickly tarnish and are unobtrusive, but will be readable for 50 years.

Just to contribute, one of my three transplanted Cascades. Soon to get into true ground outside now that temps SEEM to be staying above zero at night...

Too bad a bine snapped one day as I was training.
HopsDay1.jpg

HopsDay10.jpg

okay, images won't post...so...
Photo 1
Photo 2

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really appreciate it. I am fortunate to work for a lumberyard so I can get pretty decent prices. Thia was somethinfg I just kinda thought up and threw together over a week or so. I didn't want to do the 18'-20' tall structures, so I have the plants on the right go up about 7' then train them across which is about 8'-9'. The plants on the left get to 8' then i scab a board and twine on the top so they get to about 12' then they are on their own. Like I said, this is their second year and it will be interesting. Thanks again.
Ed

My very first hops plant. Planted one cascade and one centennial last Monday.
This is the Centennial with her first leaves.

centennial.jpg

Here's a pic of my Trellis I put up last weekend. My Hallertau was about 16 inches long and despirately looking for something to climb, so I put my other projects aside and threw this together. I put two bolts in it, so I can hinge it down or remove it during the winter. I believe the top is about 13 to 14 feet tall.

trellis.JPG

Here's a pic of my Trellis I put up last weekend. My Hallertau was about 16 inches long and despirately looking for something to climb, so I put my other projects aside and threw this together. I put two bolts in it, so I can hinge it down or remove it during the winter. I believe the top is about 13 to 14 feet tall.

trellis.JPG

I like it and the light bulb just went off in my head on what to do next year when mine are 2nd years.

Here's a shot two weeks ago in my backyard. My son and I build the birdhouse and placed it on top of a 10' conduit pole. Then I fished some twine through an eye at the top. This will make it easy to lower the vine when its time to harvest. I thought the birdhouse was a good way of adding purpose instead of just having a large ugly pole. Today my hops are aboout seven feet tall.
beerstuff134.jpg

I hope you got good sized pole diameter. I had a 1" pole get bent really easy in the wind. If you where able to fill it with sand it would really make less susceptible to bending in a strong breeze.

Here's a shot two weeks ago in my backyard. My son and I build the birdhouse and placed it on top of a 10' conduit pole. Then I fished some twine through an eye at the top. This will make it easy to lower the vine when its time to harvest. I thought the birdhouse was a good way of adding purpose instead of just having a large ugly pole. Today my hops are aboout seven feet tall.
beerstuff134.jpg

Well, here are some pics of my garden this year.

First up is my 1st year Goldings:
IMG_3114.jpg

1st Year Cascade:
IMG_3116.jpg

1st Year Centennial:
IMG_3115.jpg

1st Year Hallertau:
IMG_3117.jpg

To be continued....

My 2nd Year Hallertau:
IMG_3118.jpg

2nd Year Hallertau: Monster Leaves!:rockin:
IMG_3119.jpg

My Trellis System:
IMG_3110.jpg

They are 7ft x1"x1" Cedar Posts burried 1ft down, with two 1ft stabilizers flush with the ground. I have stings run from the stabilizer feet to an eye-bot at the top and then run across the garden to the house eves. My hope is to have almost a canopy over the walkway by harvest time.

Some detail:
IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

The whole garden:
IMG_3124.jpg

-Todd

I don't what it is about Michigan subdivisions but they are so recognizable....

My centennial is up to about 3 feet. Only the one bine got going which is all I wanted. There are two little 2" ones though. I can see how these are first year compared to some of the 2+ year plants on here.

My hop yard 80 feet between poles.
img148211.jpg

img148541.jpg

img148431.jpg

img148321.jpg

i also have an 80' span that i need to build a trellis for...how big are the poles and cables that you used? i have two rows... but thinking that a cross on the top will be enough to support both rows with one set of poles. what say you? thanks in advance.

Back