2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now getting concerned about my plants escaping. Everyday I am finding another runner that hit the side of the box I built around them. If they go 3-4 inches deeper they are gonna make it out.

I am a little upset...lost one of my biggest bines during the last storm...winds caused it to swing about and snapped it at the base....just happy that I have 6 other bines on this plant to produce.

-Will

First year cascades

101_1805.jpg

left side of shed, crawling up netting.

101_1804.jpg

Starting to bud!!! :rockin:

IMG_14941.JPG

Centennial hop buds

IMG_14951.JPG

Cascades climbing and budding

IMG_14961.JPG

Centennial close-up

I could have spaced them out a bit better/put some of the more vigorous varieties further apart.. its going to be tricky picking them apart when they finish. (l->r n. brewer, nugget, centenial, cascade, fuggle) The top of the cascade got killed in a wind storm when it was about 1/2 up the trellis so its' branched out like crazy. First year in 22" pots.

photo(3).jpg

Thanks, Not quite in the middle of the woods. I live by a busy Lake. The picture is deceiving. I do have a good size of land for the area though. And the bar is on a busy road one block away. Not a bar I like to go to unfortunately......or maybe it a good thing.

you're right, they are 8 footers.... and yea, I know that they can/will grow taller, I just don't have the much space at the moment.
I've been thinking about making a 10 foot arbor, but just haven't wanted to spend the time/money to do it. Prolly next year though.:)

Damn. Such tidy looking hops here! Mine are vicious beasts. I don't understand why they are so out of control, I live in Northern VT.

This is the second year for most of mine (I planted some new ones this year) but they were similar both years. They get sidearms anywhere from 4' to 6'! or more! I have a central pole "tent" set-up. So they tend to start wrapping around each other at the top in one big mass. I guess I will have a "mixed bag" from the upper harvest. I had a 9' (above ground) pole first year and they grew over that. So I added a 8' extension this year. They have all grown a few feet over that already this year and back down and around! Can't even guess how big to make it next year, or how to harvest! The plan this year was to lower the ropes at harvest but it is already such a tangled mess up there, no way I can do that.

My third year Cascades continue to amaze. I thought the second year plants were impressive; I can just about WATCH these things growing.

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

I estimate the height of the tower to be about 16 feet or so.

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

Here's what they looked like in mid-May, the day I erected the Hop Tower:

DSC00002.jpg

I would highly recommend this type of trellis. Total material costs were about $30 and it's great for limited space. Also, I was able to erect the thing myself w/o any assistance, although a helper would've been welcome. As you can see, I've got mine on the parkway/island portion of my front lawn and thus far, the City of Lansing hasn't given me any hassle about it being on City property.

I'll update with more pics near the beginning of September when the buds start poppin'.

Thanks again to Edwort for sharing this trellis design. :rockin:

drayman86 and others with wicked tall lightweight structures. How do you harvest those at the top?

Originally Posted by reanime View Post
drayman86 and others with wicked tall lightweight structures. How do you harvest those at the top?

I have an eye-bolt at the top of my 18' poles and can lower the sisal if the bines don't wrap around the pole...I can also take the top 10' off and lower it that way (I used 10' chainlink fence rails and they seat together).

-JMW

I took these shots on May 30th, when the vines were about 1 1/2 months old. Now they're about 2 1/2 months old and are twice as long!

Hops110.jpg

Hops25.jpg

Hops33.jpg

IMG_1507.JPG

Cascades running back and forth on the top chord and budding like crazy!

IMG_1509.JPG

Centennial cones forming

IMG_1510.JPG

Nuggets too

hops_7-5-09.jpg

My hops, taken from on Sunday. There's a lot of other plants growing nearby the base and the bines are growing about 5 feet into the tree above the rope, which is 10 feet tall.
They were never trained before this year, so I wasn't sure how well they'd grow, but are doing quite well.

wow I'm jealous of you guys. I have 1 plant growing well and it is still way behind all of yours. The other two that survived out of the original six are just clinging to life, damn rain early June destroyed them.

Here's mine today. They are really starting to take off.

Hops July11.jpg

It is interesting to see the varietal differences in the plants as they go. The Cascade were the first to take off. The Chinook started slow, but are growing aggressive now with big, thick bines and huge leaves. The Centennial have big leaves like the Chinook. The Horizon, Nugget and Golding all have smaller, pointy leaves, and the Nugget is sending out side arms like there's no tomorrow.

Here' a shot of me stringing up the bines taken by my 5 year old. :)

Hops Me July11.jpg

Fark - Bad weather just annihilated my hop pole! :mad:

50' of hops on the ground..... $#&*!$%%*&#$@$

Holy Shiite!!! I would be pissed as well!!! A storm knocked the top of one of my bines off but nothing like that! Any fix yet?

This next beer's for you!

Back