2008 NHC Comp - who is entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
OK, the NHC regionals are right around the corner. Who is entering?

I am sending in :

Russian Imperial Stout
American Barleywine
Belgium Pale
Saison
Roast Chile Belgium Pale
Raspberry RIS

and maybe a Imperial IPA

I'm sending in my 80/- Scottish, my Pale Ale, and some Barleywine. I'll see if anything else is up to snuff before the deadline.

If I can get them carbed and bottled in time I'd like to send my current IPA and Hefe creations. Just looking to get some feed back on my brews.

Hadn't thought of it before now, but perhaps I'll enter my Vienna Lager... I didn't particularly care for it (I think I just don't care for the style in general), but everyone else who drank it loved it. From a technical standpoint, it's definitely one of my better beers.

I just hope it isn't past it's peak! I brewed it in August of last year and have been lagering it at around 34 deg. F. ever since. It tastes good now (yes, I'm contradicting myself), but I wonder how long it will continue to taste this way.

Any thoughts?

I'll see what I have around when the time is up. I may enter if I can drop it off locally. Don't think I want to ship the beer.

Is there some official site for that?

Kai

Kaiser said:
I'll see what I have around when the time is up. I may enter if I can drop it off locally. Don't think I want to ship the beer.

Kai

There is a map showing all the locations for entries in this month's Zymurgy, page 22, your region would be in Philly. Can't seem to find it online.

I am thinking about submitting a few.

Kaiser said:

Kai
You may want to ask your LHBS if they are a local drop off point. They may collect there and ship them as a batch or someone may collect them all up and drive them to the round one judging site.

I think the landlords who live above my kept my copy of Zymurgy. They are really, really, really bad at delivering my mail to me.

Anyway, would someone care to post or pm me the details for SLC, UT? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Nevermind...just got my mail delivered...I wonder if they're reading this forum..."jee whiz...I sure do have a lot of extra beer sitting around down here...too bad I can't turn that into rent money..."

Updated list:

4C Schwarzbier
13F Russian Imperial Stout
16B Belgian Pale Ale
16C Saison
16E Belgian Specialty Ale - Belgian Imperial Stout ala Vinnie
19C American Barleywine
20 Fruit Beer - Raspberry Imperial Stout, Cherry Imperial Stout
21A Spice/Herb/Specialty Beer - Roasted Green Chile Belgian Pale Ale

Right now I'm planning on entering 5, but that's subject to change.

12B Robust Porter
10B American Amber Ale
10A American Pale Ale
14C Imperial IPA
9E Strong Scotch Ale

It's $14 for a non-member like me to enter, not including the shipping. For 2 entries I could be brewing one large batch of beer. I think I will have to be dam'n sure that the beer I'm entring is worth it.

Kai

I'll probably enter three or four, I need to check what I have sitting in cases right now.

Also, I didn't see any prohibition on using glass bottles with raised lettering (like SA or Pete's Wicked). I haven't missed anything have I? I remember reading the rules of one competition that prohibited it and pretty much left me out of being able to enter.

1. What kind of bottle is required?
BEER entries must be in bottles that are brown or green glass only, 10 to 14 ounces in volume.
MEAD and CIDER entries must be in bottles that are brown, green, or clear glass, 10 to 14
ounces in volume. All bottles must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition
entry labels. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
Bottles with Grölsch-type swing tops are not allowed. Corked bottles meeting the above
restrictions are acceptable; however, you must crimp a crown cap over the cork. Bottles with a
stopper and wire cage are acceptable. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be
disqualified.

My interpretation is that raised glass is not a problem.

Kilted Brewer said:
My interpretation is that raised glass is not a problem.

Yup. I read the same thing, but was concerned I was missing something. Didn't want to send out my entries and get DQ'd because I missed a little blurb about raised letters.

Kilted Brewer said:
I hear ya. Doesn't hurt to be cautious and just go with plain glass.

Be safe and go with simple, clean, brown glass. I use new bottles, but that is not needed. I would not use anything fancy, but the package makes an impression. An old scrappy bottle doesn't express pride.

So I tried my Imperial Stout from winter 2005 tonight and it's pretty darn good. It's mellowed out, but still has some bitterness and roasted flavors that go nicely with the dark fruit flavors from the malt, without any alcohol harshness. A little oxidation, but that's to be expected from a beer a few years old.

I think I am going to enter a few things this year as well... Still deciding on what, but I should have some Amarillo Pale, Amarillo Blonde Ale, and a Belgian Pale Ale in their prime...

Going to brew a peach hefe this weekend that just might be ready by the deadline... And I'll see what else I can dig up from the basement. A bigger beer...

Does HBT have a club?

Sweet deal... One more question. What's the protocol as far as entering the same beer in two categories? For example, I've brewed a pale-ale that sits right around 28-30 IBU range based on Beersmith calculations. This is basically at the high end (28) of IBU for a Light-Hybrid "Blonde" category, but at the very low end (30) of American Pale Ale... Is it illegal to enter it and both and see what you get back for comments?

IMO, it tastes more like a blonde to me (doesn't taste like 30IBU [maybe I only got low 20 IBUs due to hop bags, hops being a few months old, etc.]), but I'm no beer judge and thats just my personal impression. The judges might call it overhopped for a blonde, but underhopped for a pale ale... see the dilemma? :)

Next time I guess I should just pick a category and shoot for the middle of the style characteristics, as opposed to low or high in any given category...

Either way, I like the beer and its perfect for my taste-buds as a session beer, so I won't change the way I brew this one. But it just may not be the best one to enter in comps?

Anyway, cliffnotes: is it illegal to enter the same beer in two cats? will the same judges drinking blonde, also do PA, and figure out I have the same beer in both cats? will I get docked for it?

RoaringBrewer said:
Anyway, cliffnotes: is it illegal to enter the same beer in two cats? will the same judges drinking blonde, also do PA, and figure out I have the same beer in both cats? will I get docked for it?

No its not illegal, you could enter the same beer in every category if you want to pay for it. As long as you only have one entry per subcategory your good to go.

ohiobrewtus said:
Right now I'm planning on entering 5, but that's subject to change.

12B Robust Porter
10B American Amber Ale
10A American Pale Ale
14C Imperial IPA
9E Strong Scotch Ale
Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Old Ale - it is not quite what I wanted, but I could use the feedback
Robust Porter
Scottish 80/-
Southern Brown
possibly an APA if I get to it.
Looks like we each have a couple competing in the same category in our region. Good luck to you.

Brewpastor said:
Updated list:
16E Belgian Specialty Ale - Belgian Imperial Stout ala Vinnie

What's the story on this one? Sounds interesting.

Mine maybe;

17. Sour Ale; 1-3 beers- Berliner, Flanders, Bruin, o/Flanders, Lambic/Fruit Lambic
16. Belgian and French 1-2 beers - Saison, Tripel, Strong Golden
23. Specialty; 1 beer - Brett Bourbon Quad with Cherries( ala' Cuvee de Tomme)

The nice UPS man just picked up a bottle of my Hefe heading to Alaska via Seattle. IPA won't be entered. I tried it last night and it just didn't hit the mark I was looking for.

I have settled on 10 entries this year and they are bottled and ready to go:

Belgian Pale Ale
Roast Chile Belgian Pale Ale (Herb/Spice/Vegetable Beer)
Saison
American Barleywine
Baltic Porter
American Stout
Schwartzbier
Russian Imperial Stout
Raspberry Imperial Stout (Fruit Beer)
Belgian Imperial Stout (Belgian Specialty)

I waiting to the last minute so sent mine. I'm going to drive them down to AleSmith in San Diego. I have two beers that aren't even kegged and carbed yet. The pale ale started dry hopping yesterday and the hefeweizen is still in the primary. Both are getting kegged next weekend. Here's my list:

Old Helicon Barleywine 2006 - American Barleywine
Imperial Stout 2005 - Imperial Stout
Fat Tuba Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
80/- Bagpipes - Scotish 80/-
Wagner Weizen - Weizen/Weissbier
Smoked Kolsch - Other Wood/Smoked Beer - This one keep getting better as it ages, the smoke is mellowing out and the character of the beer is really coming through. I think I'm sending in this one just for the feedback.

Brewpastor said:
OK, the NHC regionals are right around the corner. Who is entering?

I am sending in :

Russian Imperial Stout
American Barleywine
Belgium Pale
Saison
Roast Chile Belgium Pale
Raspberry RIS

and maybe a Imperial IPA
I don't have too many that are AHA caliber yet. The two that I think have a chance are my Eng Brown and a Cream Ale. My AG Boh Pils and Helles will not be ready in time. Plan on brewing quite a few for next year.

Just entered today, this will be my first shot at a competition. I guess I am really just looking for some feedback to see where my brewing stands right now with what is out there.

Robust Porter
English Special Bitter
Dry Stout

Just a heads up for anyone in the northwest region. The entry date for sending bottles to Pyramid in seattle is tomorrow, if they dont make it by then you've got to ship them up to alaska. I'm heading off to ship my entries now

Back