2000w BK elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baulz

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a couple 2000w elements for my brew kettle but can't seem to find a LWD or ULWD option. Brewhardware has some but shipping to Canada is more than the cost of the element. What are people using?

Currently I run a hybrid system with an electric HLT and RIMS and propane to boil. Looking to make the final step but only have access to 20amp circuits in the garage.

I'm looking to get a couple 2000w elements for my brew kettle but can't seem to find a LWD or ULWD option. Brewhardware has some but shipping to Canada is more than the cost of the element. What are people using?

Currently I run a hybrid system with an electric HLT and RIMS and propane to boil. Looking to make the final step but only have access to 20amp circuits in the garage.
If you're going for 2, why not just use two 1650watt elements. They're much easier to find, and the difference between 4000 watts, and 3300 watts, wont be that big in terms of real world usage

Sorry wasn't 100% clear in my initial post. For now I will have 1-20amp circuit and 1-15amp circuit, along with the current propane burner. I was planning on a 2000w element in the kettle along with the 1375w in my RIMS to heat close to a boil, with 2 young kids my brew days are hectic and I can't stand around waiting to hit a boil with the propane.

Long term I may go with BrunDog's condenser system and it sounds like people are having success boiling with low power, so maybe the 2nd element will not be required?

Super long term is to build a detached garage with proper 240v, but I've been told a kitchen renovation is for some crazy reason more important.

Even more so, why not ditch that one 2000w and just use the 1650watt. Its only 350watt difference which is minutes on a brew day.

5 gallon batches can be boiled on a single 1650watt element given enough time, but if you're looking to cut your brew day, a 1650watt element on the 20amp circuit and a 1375w on the 15amp circuit, will be just as quick as the 2000watt + 1375watt. Honestly you could even use two 1650watt elements as the current draw with 1650watts is 14amps at 120v, so as long as you dont have a bunch of other stuff running on that 15amp circuit, you should be fine

If you going to switch to 240V you can use 5500 240V element(s). Connected to 120V it gives you 1375 Watt.

I use 1-15 amp circuit and 1-20 amp circuit for my brew house. I run a 2000w off the 20 amp and 1650w off the 15 amp. I have the 1650w element controlled by an inkbird ipb-16, and have this set up in both my hlt and bk. Works great.

The 2000w is a stainless steel one off amazon for $28, and the 1650w was available but isn't any more.

I start with 14 gallons of 60 degree water and get it all up to 150 in about 45 mins in the hlt.

For a long time I didn't use any controls other than plug in, and unplug for basic on and off, and it worked great with more monitoring.

Here are pics of the bk the hlt and then all three.
20190116_103918.jpeg
20190116_103904.jpeg
20190116_104008.jpeg

I use 1-15 amp circuit and 1-20 amp circuit for my brew house. I run a 2000w off the 20 amp and 1650w off the 15 amp. I have the 1650w element controlled by an inkbird ipb-16, and have this set up in both my hlt and bk. Works great.

The 2000w is a stainless steel one off amazon for $28, and the 1650w was available but isn't any more.

I start with 14 gallons of 60 degree water and get it all up to 150 in about 45 mins in the hlt.

For a long time I didn't use any controls other than plug in, and unplug for basic on and off, and it worked great with more monitoring.

Pretty much exactly what i picture myself upgrading to in the future if i move from 5 to 10 gallon batches, but would probably install the elements through kettle fitted triclamp ports. I have my 120v element in each kettle fitted with the Kal style junction boxes currently.
w2C1YMW.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. For now I ordered a 1650w stainless element off Amazon to get up and running. Installing the new circuit may be delayed it's supposed to be a high of -15 degrees this weekend!

Schauby7 that is the perfect element, they do ship to Canada but it's more than the cost of the element. I have some family that spend the winter in Florida so will probably get one shipped to them.

Back