20+ Tap Beer Bar System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhite3

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm planning a 20+ beer tap system for a beer bar startup. A "Tap House" if you will. I'm tossing around a few different beer tap arrangements. I want to put the taps right on the side of the walk-in but it doesn't always look the best in this situation. Below is an example of taps

I'm trying to figure out how to put them on an angled board to be more viewable to the customers. However, the beer lines will be out of the cooler just a few feet. Any thoughts on how to effectively chill the lines or just the shanks. I don't want to spend 1k on a glycol for the few feet outside the cooler. I can handle the first 2 oz of foam for my home brew but not for a business. Lost beer, lost money.

Taps on fridge.jpg

Mississippi Bar arc taps.jpg

Would wrapping the lines in black foam insulation be adequate enough for the few feet of line you need outside the cooler? I hope Doctor Who is on next... :)

I'd go with the K.I.S.S. method, ditch the angled board and have them exit the cooler directly. If you've got 20 brews on tap the patrons will be clamoring to look at them.

I would get some HVAC duct and tie that into the fridge. Run you beer lines inside that with a small fan (computer fan) to keep the cold air circulating.

I was thinking about ducting a tube (or 2) for the beer lines with a small fan. I still can't think of how it will end up insulating to the individual shanks - maybe I could insulation the individual lines with black foam insulation and do a DIY glycol with copper tubes on the back of the shanks? These lines will only be out a few feet but with 20 kegs, some won't get used as much as others and like I said, 2oz of foam will add up. Thanks for the replies.

Couldn't you just build your walk-in with an angled wall? Then everything stays inside. You'd lose a bit of space behind the bar, but that's already going to be the case with the board the way you've drawn it. Plus you don't have to worry about putting a tree back there.

Run the lines through two 4" PVC tubes to your board and insulate the PVC, then use a fan to circulate the cold air in one and out the other. That (in my mind) is the simplest solution.

The angled board setup would waste real estate and limit access to the taps, getting behind it for maintenance is going to be hard too. Flat on the cooler wall will allow multiple people to pour at the same time when you get get that busy. Employee workflow is just as important as the PR aspect, think of it from the bartenders point of view too.

I'm leaning towards putting them right on the fridge. For the beers sake, its the best option. Thanks a lot guys. :mug:

Back