20 Plate Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkoreper1

Reaction score
Hello, been off and on home brewer for years. Starting to get back into it and I’m finally the point in my life where I can start investing in better equipment than what I have right now.

Going through Amazon I found a Plate Wort Chiller, would anyone recommend it?
05BE4922-9135-45F3-B08B-01BE156EAD71.png

Are you filtering the wort before you run it through? Seems like more trouble than the copper coil immersion chiller I made from scrap copper tube I just had laying around. I can see when it's clean for every part of it that touches the wort.

Not trying to put a damper on your find. Just wanting to know myself how much more or less work it makes for chilling down the wort.

Didn’t think about filtering before hand. We bought a couple of inline filters going from 20 to 50 mesh which has worked pretty good. Finally can drink the beer out of the bottle.

Have you researched all the different kinds of wort chillers? I've never used one, but I don't think I'd be up for a plate chiller that you can't disassemble.
It was covered in a recent podcast I listened too also.

Plastic faucets vs stainless steel faucets, methods for conical temperature control, regulator creeping, & immersion vs plate chillers – Ep. 224

I'm upgrading a lot of equipment, but I think I want to stick with immersion chillers, or maybe something like the Northern Brewer Stainless Counterflow Wort Chiller.

I have a 20 plate 18” one that I love to death. Here in Michigan winter cools 5gal from 210F to 65F (or lower) in about 3 minutes. In summer is about 6-7min. Basically it cools to around 2-3 degrees above tap water temperature. Very efficient. Now I use a hop spider and don’t brew IPAs. Have brewed 75 beers over 2.5 years. Won’t change it for anything.

Back