• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Iowa 20 gal steam jacketed kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rxbrewer16

Reaction score
Hi,
Long time visitor to the forum, and it took until now to pose a question I couldn't already find an answer to, so I had to create an account....

With that being said, I came across a 20 gallon steam jacketed kettle, completely self contained, 220V. Southbend KECT-20 is the make/model. It came out of a school that closed and I was going to use it for homebrew purposes, but am finishing up my DVM and don't have the time or space to utilize it right now. I plugged it in once and it brought 10 gallons of water to boil in about 15 minutes, so I added another 10 gallons and the whole 20 gallons was boiling in about a half hour. It is composed of all stainless steel parts, the kettle portion tilts with a pour spout, while the control portion remains stationary. It came with a heavy duty basket (BIAB?) and a lid.

I know what I paid for it... but what is something like this worth today, and would it have greater value to a homebrewer or would a guy be able to sell it in another market?

Thanks.

I think the biggest strike is that it is 220v.

Also it'd be competing against turkey fryer setups which I've seen on Craigslist for as low as $30 that have comparable or better boiling times.

The best part of your kettle is if someone does have a spare 220 outlet inside then you can use it year round and not have to worry about weather or running out of propane...

Where are you located? Pictures would help and as per forum rule you need to post a price.
Start a post elsewhere of figure out what's it's worth or post a price but flock I just googled it and those things are expensive new:eek: not that you'll get that.
Good luck with the sale:mug:

Located in central Iowa. And as far as price goes, brand new they are $8,000. I understand this thing isn't brand new, but it definitely boiled 20 gal of water, so it definitely works. I haven't seen a whole lot of these used things around, so I am having a hard time pricing. What would be a fair offer? What would be a reputable source to try and come up with a good used price starting point? Delivery could even be negotiated I suppose. It was inspected by a professional before the school shut down, and has been in a basement since. The guy I bought it from was going to use it for homebrewing, but never got around to it. I was going to do the same, but have no need for that volume at this point.

View attachment kettle.jpg

Bolton & Hay on the east side of dsm deals in used restaurant equipment and could give you a starting point price wise. Unless you'll take my $50 offer

Search ebay for completed sales. Search craigslist for similar units. Keep in mind that asking prices often go unsold. I think I saw one around here from a closed store for a few hundred. That may have been a rare bargain.
Good luck.

Probably too pricey for home brewing, depending on age and condition, your looking at a give away price around $1000, but more realistically maybe $2-3K for good working order. Southbend pretty much is indestructible. Worth much more to restaurant industry.

Used restaurant supply stores and websites. I've looked before at them any decent ones were far far away shipping one would be too costly.

There are tons of them out there. They are used everywhere is the food service industry.

Back