20% alcohol after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
I am brewing a kit from Northern Brewer. (Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA)

The last stage instructed 2 lbs of sugar after the boil. I accidentally boiled for about 2 minutes after putting the sugar in. I was setting up Ice chest and chiller.

Will the alcohol content come down? This kit calls for 1.5 months in the tanks.

I am brewing a kit from Northern Brewer. (Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA)

The last stage instructed 2 lbs of sugar after the boil. I accidentally boiled for about 2 minutes after putting the sugar in. I was setting up Ice chest and chiller.

Will the alcohol content come down? This kit calls for 1.5 months in the tanks.

You can't get 20% ABV from an ale yeast. What would have changed in the recipe where you would have 20% alcohol?

yeah, what yooper said.
also, ABV doesn't just go away like hop aroma with extended time in a bottle. whatever your finished ABV is, that is what it will be as long as it is capped, other flavors may change though.

You don't have ANY alcohol in your beer yet if we're still talking about right after the boil. I'm confused about the question... what exactly do oyu think changed in only two minutes of boiling that threw off your recipe so much?

I think I get it. Your hydrometer reading is now 12% potential alcohol? If so, that "translates" to an OG of about 1.088. For brewing, it's common to use either the specific gravity scale, or sometimes the brix scale. The potential alcohol scale is useless- don't use that! That's more for winemakers will will ferment the must dry. Beer won't generally drop below 1.007, let alone .990 like winemakers have, so don't use that scale.

If you've got an OG of 1.088 or so, you can expect a final finished ABV of around 10% or so, depending on where you finish.

I think I get it. Your hydrometer reading is now 12% potential alcohol? If so, that "translates" to an OG of about 1.088. For brewing, it's common to use either the specific gravity scale, or sometimes the brix scale. The potential alcohol scale is useless- don't use that! That's more for winemakers will will ferment the must dry. Beer won't generally drop below 1.007, let alone .990 like winemakers have, so don't use that scale.

If you've got an OG of 1.088 or so, you can expect a final finished ABV of around 10% or so, depending on where you finish.

Thank you!

Back