2 years in the Primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firescience

Reaction score
I made 25 gallons in a single batch and got distracted for a couple years. The beer is a Stone IPA ruination clone except I put about 10 times the required hops in. I bottled all but 5 gallons (straight from the primary) about 4 months after brewing. The last 5 gallons I did not bottle until a few weeks ago. The beer tastes great. It has a bit more bitter flavor than the rest of the stuff I brewed and has a very cider like taste (almost as if the whole hops I added started to ferment). It also seems to get me very intoxicated quickly. Is this stuff safe to drink?

Thanks

Lucky. I left an IPA on a yeast cake for around 8 months and after kegging it tasted like ****. It had this sickly sweet aroma and strange taste that I don't know how to describe. I should mention that at some time the airlock ran dry so it was probably also really oxidised. Life happens and sometimes beers are forgotten.

rlmiller beat me to it, but I agree its not safe, the only way to make it safe is to divide the bottles up and ship them to rlmiller and myself so we can save the world from that toxic brew.

Odds that the op comes back?

I just reread the original post, and had a chuckle. I just did a Ruination clone and used 7 oz of hops for 5 gal. So for 25 gal that would be 35 oz, BUT the OP used 10 times that.....350 oz, lol. Just under a lb per gallon!

Nothing can survive being pickled in that level of formaldehyde (sorry, I meant hop oil, same thing). I'm sure it's quite sterile. Even if it was a week old, I have my doubts about if its safe to drink :)

I'm still enough of a noob that 2 WEEKS is too long to wait....also my house is too small to leave a fermenter somewhere and forget about it. I've got bottles of my raspberry stout sitting in my brewroom from 6 weeks ago that I think about every day.

Back