2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I just gave my 2 weeks notice to my boss. I seriously hated doing it because I respect him more than anyone else I have met in my professional life, the job just became something I did not want to continue with. In the past, I used to feel great giving the notice, to move on to bigger and better things. This is different, kind of bittersweet.

I know Nate just posted a somewhat similar situation, but thought I should start a new post since this is a little different.

Anyone else ever have to quit a job you learned to not like but leave a boss you did like? (FWIW, my new job is the exact same title, just more geared to the traditional methods of the position)

I kind of did the same thing about 11 years ago. They weren't spending any money on technology and I got bored out of my mind. Then they hired a new IT Manager and 6 months later I was back at the same place. All told I've been here since 8/93 (minus the 6 month hiatus). I couldn't even legally drink when I started working here. I know I never thought I'd work in one place this long!

Best of luck to you, Ryan.

Good luck with the new job.

When i got out of the navy it was very bittersweet for me, I really enjoyed being enlisted but i was having a hard time with the direction that the Navy was moving in and a harder time with the people that they were alowing to enlist. That on top of a couple of bad supervisors made me look in new directions. I still work for the department of the Navy, doing damn near the same exact job, but as a civilian now. making more and not having to deal with a lot of the headache that comes with it.

I did the same thing to take the job I have now. The boss was great to work for, but all the shots were called by our corporate in PA and they just did business - differently. He tried his best to make us happy, but his hands were tied and you could tell how frustrated he was. I always got the feeling that corporate wanted to close our office and move everything to PA, so I looked elsewhere.

Five months later, just as I had suspected, the corporate office told him and everyone else there that the office would close that December. They all lost their jobs.

I'm about to be in a similar situation. I really have to get somewhere new. I'm worn out on this "Spend every dime, even if it's not for a good use" mentality that is prevalent in education. I'm tired of replacing a brand-new laptop with a brand-newer laptop because Dr Bigpants wants a shinier model.
I'm being really dumb though - I'm getting all anxious so instead of doing the smart thing and applying everywhere I can thing of, instead I'm just ignoring the situation. Secretly, I hope my boss fires me so that I can collect unemployment. I've been working for the past 8 years straight. I deserve unemployment for awhile, right?

i'm in a different situation. my boss got me my current job. i LOVE the company i work for and my job is decent and pays pretty well.

BUT i've been working my ass off so this guy could slack off for over 5 years now (part of that was at the last job.) it's always helped me move up, but it just kinda pisses me off cuz whenever i get a raise or promotion, he makes me take more of his work. he definitely knows his stuff when it comes to the job and i like him as a person, it's just frustrating.

i haven't thought about leaving yet because i do really like the company, the benefits and the pay...plus i have a back injury that won't really allow me to start somewhere else.

i also don't want to leave because i'm going to receive another promotion with more pay in the coming months (yes, with MORE of his responsibility) so i want that title before i leave. i also would like to have 5 years at one job under my belt.

heh, he's been pushing this promotion back for a while...i think he finally sees me as a threat :D

Thanks guys. I just had the uncomfortable confrontation with the director. He was asking the whys and whats, I told him some of the non-specific stuff, and somehow he took away completely different reasons. I have a sucky feeling my name is going to get trashed after I leave by some people (thankfully no one that matters in my mind)

Ryan_PA said:
Thanks guys. I just had the uncomfortable confrontation with the director. He was asking the whys and whats, I told him some of the non-specific stuff, and somehow he took away completely different reasons. I have a sucky feeling my name is going to get trashed after I leave by some people (thankfully no one that matters in my mind)

my previous super did the same crap to me... he stormed into my office and slammed the door behind him and demanded I tell him why I was leaving, where, who, how much they offered me...

he wanted me to have an exit interview and sign paperwork stating that i'd never take any of the businesses secret with me (odd considering I created a lot of the templates for pricing, quotes to clients, flyers, presentations, etc.)... i'm sorry, those were my ideas with my name/watermark on everything...

he threw all this guilt trip crap on me too...

don't give in, just remain polite and finish out what you need to do with minimal fuss... i gave my previous employer 110% until the day I left and left on a good note (at least I thought so).

I'm worried about a similar thing happening if I try to leave. It's kinda like the mafia.

Okay, this is becoming like a blog. A staff meeting was called by my mgr, then he and the director went into a room. Meeting was canecelled. I ask whats up to my manager, and he says "not my call..." I call the wife on the cell to say something is rotten in the state of PA. While on the phone the director walks up and asks me to talk to him again.

15 minutes later I get told to tell him what it is going to take to keep me. Sleep on it.

Ryan_PA said:
Okay, this is becoming like a blog. A staff meeting was called by my mgr, then he and the director went into a room. Meeting was canecelled. I ask whats up to my manager, and he says "not my call..." I call the wife on the cell to say something is rotten in the state of PA. While on the phone the director walks up and asks me to talk to him again.

15 minutes later I get told to tell him what it is going to take to keep me. Sleep on it.

If you have thought about it and planned thoroughly ( sonds like you did ) then you need to leave. I have never seen it where someone who is convinced that they should leave can be made happy.

Why did your director wait until AFTER you announced that you were leaving? I know that many managers will try and keep you until they can find someone else, then they fire you...

My 2 cents..

it depends. why are you leaving? if it's simply for money, but you love your job (and obviously respect your boss) then maybe they could make it worth your while.

I'm a headhunter by trade. Dr. Vorlauf's right. If you have another opportunity lined up, take it. Next time cuts come around, you'll be the first to go if you decide to stay this time. Then you'll be SOL.

jdoiv said:
I'm a headhunter by trade. Dr. Vorlauf's right. If you have another opportunity lined up, take it. Next time cuts come around, you'll be the first to go if you decide to stay this time. Then you'll be SOL.

Agreed. I'm also a headhunter and that is just not a good scenario if you stay. Even if they don't get rid of you, you'll eventually want to leave for the same reasons you mentioned earlier...

Agreed. I am a Project Manager in IT. I like being a PM, but the current gig is not traditional PM work, the new one is. The current place would most likly pay me alot and give me a new title I do not want, and most likely am not ready for. I will still be taking the new job. It is better for my family.

Gahhhhhhh. I would be crazy by now.

Keep fightin' the good fight. I'll drink a homebrew for ya. (Once I find some breakfast....)

I gave my notice when I found a new job and and I also hated breaking it to my boss (whom I also respect and like). The reason I was leaving was purely financial for me. They countered with a 21% raise and I stayed.

My buddy who is an IT headhunter said the same things as the other guys in this thread. I listened to his advice, but in the end I trusted my gut and it has worked out well for me. Trust your instinct and don't be bullied by anyone. Best of luck!

Beerthoven said:
So, how did it go? Well, I hope. :)

Waiting on the invite from his secratery. I imagine it will be tomorrow. I also imagine I will need to RDWHAHB afterwards. :mug: I have only been on the executive floor of the building a handful of times, this time should be interesting to say the least.

They fired my Director on Friday. Then I had a meeting with the VP and CIO. They asked me to rethink leaving over the weekend, and I have follow up meetings on Monday morning. Friday was an odd day.

Huh. That is odd, and could certainly change things. Best of luck, and have a good weekend with a hb.

wow! sounds like plenty of turmoil.

My last job was nuts with drama and interpersonal conflict. My current position is at an organization that is a total 180 and I walk into work every day with a totally different outlook and appreciation for my job.

Good luck with everything and the transition!

Back